Pennsylvania Firearm Owners Association
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    (Montgomery County)

Default The Things I've Learned in Approx 8 Months of Shooting Pistols

This may or may not be of interest to everyone, but it might make for good reading for those just looking for their first pistol:

Prior to running down my list, I think it's important to mention:
    The gun is loaded!. Never, ever, assume otherwise.

1) There are the "top shelf" brands, and there's no denying they earned their reputation. But, it's important to consider lesser known pistol manufacturers, and to seek out a good balance of quality, performance and price.

2) Exception to item #1: Glocks are a great first (second, third, etc) pistol, even though I was reluctant to buy one initially, because they have no external safety.

3) In reference to item #2, over time, I found that though an external safety serves it's purpose, for a self defense/night-stand weapon, you don't want to have to worry about whether it's on or off. Now, my Glock 19 is my night-stand weapon, because it goes bang every time, and there's no fiddling/fumbling with it. It's ready - period.

4) Pull the trigger straight back, slowly, and follow-through. Even after 8 months of shooting regularly, it's amazing just how easy it is to forget that one simple thing.

5) If you end up buying multiple pistols, try to stick with the same sighting system. If one pistol has standard 3 dot sights, and another has straight-eight/"snowman" sights, you'll need to adjust unnecessarily.

6) If the pistol or pistols are going to be used primarily for home defense, it probably makes sense to get tritium sights, and an accessory rail on whatever you're going to keep on the night-stand.

7) The TLR-1 light is an awesome addition to that night-stand pistol.

8) Though it would be nice to shoot at 25 yards with deadly accuracy, for home defense, practice at 7, 10, 12, or 15 yards, and don't bother with a laser. IMO, if a laser's on the gun, and tweaked for 15 yards or 25 yards, depending on it at 7 yards will likely yield very unexpected results, that could result in you hitting everything but the threat.

9) Choose a pistol that you're comfortable with, can shoot accurately, and has sufficient magazine capacity to get the job done. There's not much point in owning a .45, with an 8 round mag, if you can't shoot it accurately.

10) "Qualify" whatever pistol or pistols you buy at the range, many times, before deciding it will be your home/self-defense weapon. If you're not absolutely certain it'll fire first time, every time, don't (yet) make it your choice for the night-stand gun.

11) Don't be overly concerned about following stance protocol to the letter. Modify it in whatever way works best for you. Remember, in a moment of crisis, you're probably going to adopt whatever stance works and comes naturally.

12) Do work on your grip, so that it becomes second-nature. I use a thumbs-forward grip, but whatever you settle into, don't risk getting your thumb broken, cut or mangled.

I'm sure there's bound to be some difference of opinion here, and remember, this post comes from a non-expert. And, likewise, I'm sure there are many more thoughts I could add to this, but, for now, those are the primary "lessons learned", as they apply to me. Feel free to add on, or correct as appropriate.

Oh, and 13? - Read this forum, regularly. Ask questions.
    "I don't care what went wrong. I beat the snot out of it until it works" - Clint Smith

(Philadelphia County)

Default Re: The Things I've Learned in Approx 8 Months of Shooting Pistols

nice read. very imformative to a n00b such as myself
    West German Sig 9226 9mm

(Lawrence County)

That post shows 8 months of mindful shooting.

Keep an open mind and keep going.

The only advice I can give is to always re-evaluate. Things that didn't work for you in this first 8 months may be an advantage as you develop.

Lycanwelldonethrope

I taught Chuck Norris to bump-fire.

(Butler County)

No. 8 lasers--at the distances you give my laser sight is off less than an inch. Shooting center mass it's no problem.

(Lancaster County)

#6 Tritium sights. If you go this route get a different color front sight.

#8 Lasers. The bad guy also sees a red/green dot, on your firearm, and just has to shoot in that general direction. Lasers are ok to a point.
    The best attachment would be a light, a very bright light so don't be cheap, hit someone in the dark with a bright light and they are blinded for a few moments, if they are armed and fire at you they will literally be shooting blind.

(York County)

Quote Originally Posted by DonM55 View Post
    No. 8 lasers--at the distances you give my laser sight is off less than an inch. Shooting center mass it's no problem.
    Yeah, I disagree with 8, too, for the same reason. And it's only off on the y-axis, as well. The X-axis will still be reliable, and the margin of error in the Y is acceptable for reasonable defensive handgun ranges (and you can, if you wish to practice enough, develop a pretty automatic sense for adjusting aim.)

I also think a laser is an excellent training tool to develop a smooth, steady trigger pull. I solved my trigger jerk problem between range visits, without once firing an actual shot. I just dry fired about 1000 times while holding the laser as steady as I could on a spot 25 feet away. It helped me discover where my grip was failing me, and develop muscle memory for the pull.

Today, I shot a full mag into a laser-printed page of fifteen 1-inch targets at 15 feet, and nailed every one (though, the 14th just caught the bullseye.) Last time I tried the same drill, I missed the paper outright twice. I think that's a pretty good improvement between range trips, and I attribute it to dry firing with the laser.

(York County)

Quote Originally Posted by Coils View Post
    #6 Tritium sights. If you go this route get a different color front sight.

#8 Lasers. The bad guy also sees a red/green dot, on your firearm, and just has to shoot in that general direction.
    If he's armed and threatening, he's going to see a lot of muzzle flash coming from where I'm standing, too.

Seriously, though, I do have a light/laser. I consider it's primary purpose to be target identification, more so than blinding or confusion, though I keep it in strobe mode, hoping that it could buy a second or two of disorientation while I decide whether to create the aforementioned muzzle flashes.

(Lehigh County)

Quote Originally Posted by mslatter View Post

I also think a laser is an excellent training tool to develop a smooth, steady trigger pull. I solved my trigger jerk problem between range visits, without once firing an actual shot. I just dry fired about 1000 times while holding the laser as steady as I could on a spot 25 feet away. It helped me discover where my grip was failing me, and develop muscle memory for the pull.

Today, I shot a full mag into a laser-printed page of fifteen 1-inch targets at 15 feet, and nailed every one (though, the 14th just caught the bullseye.) Last time I tried the same drill, I missed the paper outright twice. I think that's a pretty good improvement between range trips, and I attribute it to dry firing with the laser.
    Thats a really good idea to do. Though im wondering if i would have the same results with a glock. I've tried practicing with dry firing with a glock, but with the single trigger pull, it just isnt practical, you have to keep racking the slide over and over again. And the trigger doesnt reset, it just stays straight back, so it doesnt feel like a real trigger pull. Thoughts?

(York County)

Quote Originally Posted by GunMan21 View Post
    Thats a really good idea to do. Though im wondering if i would have the same results with a glock. I've tried practicing with dry firing with a glock, but with the single trigger pull, it just isnt practical, you have to keep racking the slide over and over again. And the trigger doesnt reset, it just stays straight back, so it doesnt feel like a real trigger pull. Thoughts?
    There's the Glock cardboard trick I've seen on the tubes.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SBf0HLg4fZU

Ahhh, Tapout hoodies. The "Frankie Says Relax" sweatshirts of this generation.

But, who's to judge. It's the known method. It seems a little imperfect to me, as the Tapout guys are saying the pull weight is lighter, and the pull is what matters in this drill. I'd probably buy a gross of snap caps and rack the slide between rounds to simulate a firing and get the trigger into the right mode. This is a simulation exercise, so realism counts.

(Allegheny County)

Quote Originally Posted by Lycanthrope View Post
    That post shows 8 months of mindful shooting.

Keep an open mind and keep going.

The only advice I can give is to always re-evaluate. Things that didn't work for you in this first 8 months may be an advantage as you develop.

Lycanwelldonethrope

This is the best advice (for most anything really) I have seen in a long time.
    Jeff Cooper was a huge supporter of gun games, when he was winning them at least...

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast