Pennsylvania Firearm Owners Association
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Aimpoints?

Default Aimpoints?

I'm looking to replace the cheap Bushnell red dot on my M&P 15X.
    I've decided to get an Aimpoint, but keep going back & forth between the Comp ML2 & 3 models & would appreciate input from anyone who has them.

For all around use I'm leaning toward the ML3 with the 2 MOA dot, unless there's a reason the 4MOA would be better. I also need suggestions for a good, solid mount to co-witness with my Troy rear & A2 front sights. QR mounts won't be necessary, as the Aimpoint will stay on the AR.
    "It's hard to imagine a more stupid or more dangerous way of making decisions than by putting those decisions in the hands of people who pay no price for being wrong."
    Thomas Sowell

(Allegheny County)

Default Re: Aimpoints?

You'll get longer battery life with the 3 over the 2. m series is for use with nod and ml series no nods. you could actually get the c3, exactly the same. I'd go with an ADM mount, C3 2moa dot, you can always turn the brightness up and it'll bloom for close in work and you can dial it down for long range. You could save up a little more and get an H1. I have a T1 coming from an M2, it's so light you can't even tell it's there.

(Allegheny County)

Here's a very economical alternative that still gets rave reviews. I'm gonna try a Sparc for my next build.

http://www.vortextactical.com/catego...red_dot_scopes

http://www.vortexoptics.com/product/...scope-for-ar15

Thanks. I think I'm going with a ML3 & a LaRue mount. I looked at the Vortex red dots & they get good reviews. You can't beat their no BS warranty. I just don't think I'll be happy with another clone.
    "It's hard to imagine a more stupid or more dangerous way of making decisions than by putting those decisions in the hands of people who pay no price for being wrong."
    Thomas Sowell

(Allegheny County)

There is no reason for a 2 moa dot, especially when speed is the key to a red dot. If you want precision, an Aimpoint is not your end result. That being said, choose the model based on things other than dot size (unless you go to another brand and they have larger than 4 moa). Once you determine which model to g with based on battery life and weight, determine dot size from the options for that model.
    Jeff Cooper was a huge supporter of gun games, when he was winning them at least...

I only have an H-1 Aimpoint, so I can't say much about the ML2 vs. ML3. However, I have mine mounted on a tall Daniel Defense and from what I have read different places on the Internet this mount exemplifies their quality, which is excellent. I like the lower 1/3 co-witness, because it allows me to pop up the BUIS if I wish without keeping me from using the dot. The battery life is insane on the H-1--while it's not as good in the ML2 (not sure about the ML 3), that optic still has a ridiculous battery life. In my opinion, if a 2 year (or however long it is) up time isn't enough for you, you maybe should be looking at Trijicons or other non-powered solutions.

Quote Originally Posted by electronics View Post
    I only have an H-1 Aimpoint, so I can't say much about the ML2 vs. ML3. However, I have mine mounted on a tall Daniel Defense and from what I have read different places on the Internet this mount exemplifies their quality, which is excellent. I like the lower 1/3 co-witness, because it allows me to pop up the BUIS if I wish without keeping me from using the dot. The battery life is insane on the H-1--while it's not as good in the ML2 (not sure about the ML 3), that optic still has a ridiculous battery life. In my opinion, if a 2 year (or however long it is) up time isn't enough for you, you maybe should be looking at Trijicons or other non-powered solutions.
    Thanks. I've been looking at & trying Aimpoints & EOTechs for some time. I was leaning toward the APs because of battery life & ruggedness, but ended up buying the EOTech XPS2 yesterday.

First off, with my old eyes, (I wear either bifocals, or 1 contact lens in dominant eye.), the EOTech was much easier for me to put on target with both eyes open. Maybe it's just me, but the EOTech seemed more instinctive. Some don't like the EOTech reticle. Personally, I prefer it over the 2 or 4 MOA dot.

Battery life isn't near as good on the EOTech, but I use 123's in all my Surefire lights & always have at least one unopened box around. If I run out, the folding Troy BUIS looks like it co-witnesses the XPS. I'm off tomorrow & I'll be going to the range to zero it.

The EOTech probably isn't as rugged as the APs, but I even in VietNam I never tortured a rifle & I'm not about to start with one of my own. I think the EOT will be plenty rugged for my purposes.

It was a hard decision, but I feel the EOTech is going to work better for me.
    Thomas Sowell

Quote Originally Posted by IronButt View Post
    Thanks. I've been looking at & trying Aimpoints & EOTechs for some time. I was leaning toward the APs because of battery life & ruggedness, but ended up buying the EOTech XPS2 yesterday.

First off, with my old eyes, (I wear either bifocals, or 1 contact lens in dominant eye.), the EOTech was much easier for me to put on target with both eyes open. Maybe it's just me, but the EOTech seemed more instinctive. Some don't like the EOTech reticle. Personally, I prefer it over the 2 or 4 MOA dot.

Battery life isn't near as good on the EOTech, but I use 123's in all my Surefire lights & always have at least one unopened box around. If I run out, the folding Troy BUIS looks like it co-witnesses the XPS. I'm off tomorrow & I'll be going to the range to zero it.

The EOTech probably isn't as rugged as the APs, but I even in VietNam I never tortured a rifle & I'm not about to start with one of my own. I think the EOT will be plenty rugged for my purposes.

It was a hard decision, but I feel the EOTech is going to work better for me.
    Sounds like you made a good decision that fits you! I have an EOTech on a different gun and I like it a lot. Matching batteries is nice--of course with the Aimpoints you don't exactly need to keep a lot of spares around, having the ability to change the batteries on any of your equipment out of one box can save a range trip. I don't think the ruggedness of an EOTech is any worse than an Aimpoint, at least not in a game changing way. Either way, to me it's like comparing high end sports cars--either one is going to be great, so you might as well just get the one that catches your eye the most.

(Philadelphia County)

I'm sure the eo tech will serve you well. The deciding factor for me was issue of parallax that aimpoint doesn't have.

(Delaware County)

I'm a fan of the micro T-1 with the Larue mount.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast