Pennsylvania Firearm Owners Association
Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast
    (Jefferson County)

Default Scouting for a small framed 9mm..

I'm doing some scouting for a small framed 9mm for my dad. He lives in Florida and has his FL CWP, but as you all probably know its hotter than 5 hells and as humid as being under 100ft of water. He needs something that will endure humidity and sweat, something lightweight, compact, almost pocketable(he'll probably pocket carry). No preaching needed about that carry practice, dad has been carrying longer than I've been living. ..he's quite skilled with guns and carrying - trust me, he is the only person I've met that I would trust to shoot an apple off my head.

However, like myself he's a primarily a revolver guy. He does own a semi-auto(Raven 25acp), but he and I both feel that isn't enough. His revolvers are all too big and bulky for pocket carry.. His initial thought was to get a small 380 like my mom carries, but when I reminded him that a box of 380 is $30-50 and 9mm is $10-$20 he instantly changed his mind.

Money is a factor, being retired he doesn't have the income he once had(thanks to economy losing 75% of his 401K). I'd say he'd probably top out at $350 on a new/used purchase. So the Rohrbaugh is out of the question..

Dad and I both are open to all manufacturers. We aren't snobs to guns, so feel free to suggest anything that fits the description.
    Last edited by knight0334; June 12th, 2010 at 09:44 PM.
    RIP: SFN, 1861, twoeggsup, Lambo, jamesjo, JayBell, 32 Magnum, Pro2A, mrwildroot, dregan, Frenchy, Fragger, ungawa, Mtn Jack, Grapeshot, R.W.J., PennsyPlinker, Statkowski, Deanimator, roland, aubie515

Don't end up in my signature!

(Allegheny County)

Default Re: Scouting for a small framed 9mm..

Walther PPS in 9mm is perfect for this role, except the price puts it out of your range.

Look for a used G26. Too fat for what you want I think but you should be able to get one closer to your price range.

(Berks County)

Thumbs up Re: Scouting for a small framed 9mm..

Quote Originally Posted by Shawn.L View Post
    Walther PPS in 9mm is perfect for this role, except the price puts it out of your range.

Look for a used G26. Too fat for what you want I think but you should be able to get one closer to your price range.
    Ditto.

I have a Glock out in the elements year round without any problems at all. It is thick like the M&P. I do not know if the new S&W Bodygaurd is any thinner.

(Northampton County)

Kel tec PF9 Love mine have never had any Issues fires every time. Very light But only 7 round mag for a revolver guy should not be a problem. I forget I have it on me May be alittle big for the pocket but a nice small Don Hume IWB works for me should also be in the price range you are looking.
    There are plenty of Kel Tec haters out there but mine has worked flawless. Good Luck.
    Last edited by cj11; June 12th, 2010 at 09:56 PM.

(Northumberland County)

Taurus pt709slim shouild be right up his alley

(Philadelphia County)

I have a Glock 26. I love it but if I tried to pocket carry my pants would fall down. It's a dream IWB, OWB or even in the pocket of my barn coat in cooler weather.

For pocket carry I second the vote for Keltec PF-9. I fondled one today at a gun show and it's within your price range and very concealable. Keltec also has a P-11 that is slightly wider and takes a 10 or 12 round mag.

CDNN has the P-11 w/10 round mag or the PF-9 w/7 round mag in their latest catalog for $229.

Another to consider is the Kahr CW-9. I haven't played with one yet. At a glance it seems similar in size to a Glock 26 but thinner since it's single stack.

(Montgomery County)

Kahr K9. There is one here on the forum for sale for under 400 and Bob at Classic Pistol has one used in the case for 350 (I think). That is, if he insists on an auto. The K9 is a fantastic auto that has a great trigger and is quite compact.

If your dad is wheel gunner why not look for a used 642? They can be head for around 350 used and are fantastic. I pocket carry mine and indeed enjoy it and shoot it well.
    Join the groups protecting your rights from the fools trying to take them from you!

(Lehigh County)

I have a PF-9 and I like it for what it is (a low cost pocket gun for when I can't or don't want to carry my 1911). That being said, I'm really considering getting a glock 26 for IWB carry (smaller and lighter than my kimber pro carry). The PF-9 is not a range gun. It will beat on your hand considerably more than a standard compact or full size pistol in 45 acp (due to it's light weight). That being said, I can put it in the pocket of my mesh shorts and go for a walk... it won't pull them down

The PF-9 is plenty accurate, but the trigger takes some getting used to. I've been shooting it quite frequently, and I've added a houge grip wrap that really helped out (otherwise the sharp cuts in the grip really dig into your hand).

I've also had some problems with WWB through the PF-9 (FTF/FTE problems); however, I've never had a problem with rem UMC or my federal carry ammo.

(Monroe County)

I love my G26 as well but for pocket carry it's a KelTec. I go with the .380 and believe the PF9 is to big for pocket carry but it fits everything your looking for and fits the price.

However, I would agree with Steve NEPhila and say if your dad is a wheelgun guy then a 642 is perfect.

(Allegheny County)

Another vote for the PF-9. This is my first summer after owning it, and it's already by far my favorite warm weather gun. A great little gun for what it is.
    Sec. 21. The right of the citizens to bear arms in defense of themselves and the State shall not be questioned.

Sec. 25. To guard against transgressions of the high powers which we have delegated, we declare that everything in this article is excepted out of the general powers of government and shall forever remain inviolate.

Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast