Pennsylvania Firearm Owners Association
Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast
    (Cumberland County)

Default Re: Scouting for a small framed 9mm..

Quote Originally Posted by Steve_NEPhila View Post
    Kahr K9. There is one here on the forum for sale for under 400 and Bob at Classic Pistol has one used in the case for 350 (I think). That is, if he insists on an auto. The K9 is a fantastic auto that has a great trigger and is quite compact.

If your dad is wheel gunner why not look for a used 642? They can be head for around 350 used and are fantastic. I pocket carry mine and indeed enjoy it and shoot it well.
    Plus one on this. Steve, I find you and I agreeing on a lot. Rep sent for great minds thinking alike...

A 642 is a great gun, especially for a wheelgun guy, and especially for pocket carry. That being said I also like the PF9, but if your dad decides to go that route I sure as hell wouldn't get the blued or parkerized version. I've owned Kel Tecs and the finish can be a rust magnet, especially if you're living in humid conditions and pocket carrying. Look for a hard chrome model or get it Duracoated, or use Robar, Black T, something like that.
    Selling off a a sizeable Spyderco collection here

(Cumberland County)

Kahr K9. There is one here on the forum for sale for under 400 and Bob at Classic Pistol has one used in the case for 350 (I think). That is, if he insists on an auto. The K9 is a fantastic auto that has a great trigger and is quite compact.

If your dad is wheel gunner why not look for a used 642? They can be head for around 350 used and are fantastic. I pocket carry mine and indeed enjoy it and shoot it well.
    Sorry, just kidding about that rep. I gotta spread it around before I can hit you again.
    Selling off a a sizeable Spyderco collection here

(Blair County)

Kel tec and Taurus both have small guns in this price range new.

(Northampton County)

My PF9 is hard chrome and not a spot of rust on it carried every day. I have read alot about the blued and parked rusting sure glad i did not trade for the blued.

I dont think it is hard on the hand it does not bother me. Like said it is not range gun but still fun as hell to shoot.

(Centre County)

Or T-9.
    I have K9, and its just one heck of a pistol.
    I don't pocket carry, but with IWB holster, it just simply dissapears under T-'s
    Audemus jura nostra defendere

(Montgomery County)

Kahr PM-9.

Edited to add: Sorry, I missed your price requirement. You won't find a PM-9 that low.
    Last edited by toml; June 13th, 2010 at 10:30 PM.

(Lackawanna County)

Google-P64-.
    9x18,and the gun has withstood the test of time..
    You can get one for under $200.
    Government 99 and 44/100 % pure bullshit.

(Centre County)

Agree with everyone else on the Kahr and Kel-Tec PF-9. But my suggestion is if he isn't in the Kahr PM9 or Walther PPS price range, take a look at Kahr's CW9, it's a $400ish (new) price point model of their P9/P40 line. Slight differences like traditional barrel rifling as opposed to polygonal and beveled edges on the slide as opposed to machine rounded. But I have big hands and get a full grip on it, unlike the PM9 or most of the pocket 380s, and can put in a good 50-100 rounds in a range trip and not have my hands feel like I was shooting a very compact 9mm. 7 round single stack, very slim, factory with a steel guide rod and overall just a better finished firearm than Kel Tec.

Kahr recommends a 200 round break in, but I have never had any issue with feeding, FTE, etc., and the action does smooth out considerably at 100, 200 and 300 rounds with proper cleaning and lube.

If he's not quite into the $400 range, the Kel Tec will serve his purposes well, but definitely take a look at the CW9.

(York County)

In the $350 range you can go with, Taurus 709 slim or kel-tec pf 9. The CW9 is about $400, Maybe a Bersa(not sure of the best model#). I know they are coming out with a slim 9mm soon called the BP9??? but IMO they are all to big for easy pocket carry.

Thats about it really. This is a catagory where the gun companys are really lacking and I can't undestand why??? so many people want a small affordable pocket 9mm it's crazy! There was a gun called the archangel that would have fit the bill, that was to be released last year by Microtech, but I have not heard anything about it for sometime??? I got tired of waiting and bought a Glock 26 Its a great gun, but its not a pocket gun either.

For pocket carry I highly recommend you reconsider a .380. I have many handguns but the one I carry everyday, everywhere is my LCP w/CTC laser. It is the easiest gun I have to carry. In any clothes, for any activity.
    I would really go this way especailly living in FL. The ammo issue is getting better and if you buy online it can be found at reasonable prices.

If he is a revolver guy why not a Ruger LCR (now available in.357 mag) or a S&W 642? both of these are going to be more then $350 though. But the LCP is still much smaller, lighter and more affordable, mine was $279.

Good luck!

(Delaware County)

I like the Keltec PF9..it's small, fits in a pocket and shoots exceptionally well! I was honestly surprised at how accurate the gun is for such a small pistol.
    Peace, Prosperity, and Liberty

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast