Pennsylvania Firearm Owners Association
    (Allegheny County)

Default Colt 1903 issues...

Ok...so I have a Colt 1903 .32 acp. I had taken it to the range, first time I shot it, and naturally came home and wanted to give it a field strip and clean it up. I didnt have the owners manual so I downloaded one from colt, and watched a few videos online. So here's the issue...I cant seem to get the slide off. I pull it back and cock it. I unlock the barrell, start to release the slide and it stops dead about a quarter of an inch forward. The barrell is definitely unlocked, if I remove the bushing I can take it right out. When I look under the slide I can see indents from where it looks like the hammer is hitting the back of the slide, when i carefully looked at it moving forward it looks to me as if its not clearing the hammer which is whats keeping it from moving forward. The gun has clearly been chromed, dont think that should have caused the issue, but I'm not sure. Has anyone seen this issue before? Any help would be overwhelmingly appreciatied.

Oh...and if the answer comes down to getting a gunsmith to look at it...any suggestions close to Monroeville would be awesome. Thanks everyone.

(Elk County)

Default Re: Colt 1903 issues...

Crickets, eh? It takes a graybeard for the older stuff like this.

To review the TD procedure for the 1903:

Pull the slide back to cock the hammer.

Release the slide such that the arrow on the front right of the slide just behind the muzzle is aligned with the front edge of the dustcover.

Turn the barrel counterclockwise when viewing from the muzzle until it stops.

Ease the slide forward off the frame. It is at this point that the rear of the slide has to pass over the hammer, and actually depress the hammer as if cocking it. Some 1903 Colts require a "nudge" with the heel of the hand on the back of the slide, some require a "whack" with a urethane-faced hammer. You can also finesse the slide off by reaching in with a small jeweler's screwdriver and use it as a lever to depress the hammer. Once the hammer is depressed, the slide will about fall off the frame to the front.

Disassembly is in reverse order.

Unless you are well-experienced with all things mechanical and firearm, I don't recommend you disassemble the 1903 any further.

Hope this helps; now back to my rocking chair on the porch at the assisted care facility.

Noah
    Wisdom and knowledge shall be the stability of thy times.

(Allegheny County)

Noah Zark hit it exactly. My 1908 .380 (same pistol as your .32) takes a gentle push to get past the sticking point that you suggested you have. If all else fails, come over to the west side of Pittsburgh by the airport and I will do this for you.

You did remove the magazine, right?

(Allegheny County)

Thanks guys I really appreciate the response...tried the jewelers screwdriver but I couldnt get it to grab anything to push the hammer down. In the end I finally got it off, doubled up a piece of dental floss slipped it over the hammer with the slide back and after I released the slide I pulled the floss lowering the hammer. There really is no end to what floss can be used for...lol. Thanks again!