Pennsylvania Firearm Owners Association
    (Northampton County)

Default Short sited mistake while planning to build a SBS 11-87

I want to build a semiautomatic SBS "Master Key" and mount it to my 14.7" LWRC. Now with pretty much no practical experience with semiautomatic shotguns I was more concerned with the length of the magazine and piston setup so I could build the shortest gun with the least amount of work.

I bought a used Police 11-87, over a Benelli M1 because its receiver was shorter (Mistake number one Possibly...) . and I could shorten the magazine tube easily to allow for 3+1, the lowest round count I was willing to go to.

Any how, much to my horror, while taking off the recoil pad I saw what obviously needed to be present, the Action tube, and spring....

Does any one know of a shortened Action tube and spring?

I am not opposed to trying any making a smaller stiffer action tube/spring assembly or possibly trying to find a very small hydraulic buffer to attempt to meet my goal.

Or am I pretty much up a stream without a paddle as I suspect I am.
    Last edited by 68FBJJZ109; June 12th, 2010 at 06:37 PM.

(Jefferson County)

Default Re: Short sited mistake while planning to build a SBS 11-87

You wont be able to do it with a Remmy 11-71 or 1100. Think about it, when have you ever seen a pistol grip only semi-auto Remington? lol..

If you are wanting a shorty semi-auto Masterkey like thing you will have to use another manufacturer's action that doesn't have the recoil assembly in the stock like the Remington's do. Like a Winchester 140 or 1400, or a Mossberg 9200.

Something else to consider is that you will have to play with the gas port sizes when you move the block back to shorten the tubular mag. Not to mention the action bar..
    RIP: SFN, 1861, twoeggsup, Lambo, jamesjo, JayBell, 32 Magnum, Pro2A, mrwildroot, dregan, Frenchy, Fragger, ungawa, Mtn Jack, Grapeshot, R.W.J., PennsyPlinker, Statkowski, Deanimator, roland, aubie515

Don't end up in my signature!

(Berks County)

Try one of the Saiga 12g shotguns. You can completely remove the stock with no ill effects.

(Northampton County)

Yeah, that was the first thing I searched for was an 1100 stand alone pistol grip, which confirmed my problem and fears. The problem with either 140 or the 9200 is availability, from what I have found both guns are discontinued. Not to mention I have read alot of horror stories about the 9200, though that doesn't mean their true. But they both provide an avenue for my semiauto masterkey goals.

I would prefer to stay away from the Saga shotguns due to there added bulk of the magazine. I like the idea and profile of a more tradition shotgun to mount under my AR. In addition the added difficulty in mounting the Saiga securely under another weapon with the removable stamped upper receiver cover posses addition issues. Not to mention the cost in shorting them.

My buddy and I have contemplated modify the Remington to work though thats just an idea.

I did not plan to modify the gasblock on the the 11-87 or the others just shorten the magazine tube, I don't consider that to be a easy operator level modification.
    Last edited by 68FBJJZ109; June 14th, 2010 at 12:30 PM.