Pennsylvania Firearm Owners Association
Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast
    (Montgomery County)

Default Re: Nazi's at Gettysburg

Quote Originally Posted by Philbert View Post
    1936 or thereabouts.
    Kinda? and its ethnicity not race there is a difference. It was long before that in many ways but I see your point.

(Franklin County)

I always that "jewish" was a religon, based on beliefs. Not a race/ethnic grouping.

Anyone catch this part?:

Particularly, Aryan Nations members will be allowed to carry firearms on park grounds, under a new federal law that took effect in February. As a result, Aryan Nations Maryland State Leader Gordon Young has said the group intends to bring two rifles to "protect" the group's national director Paul Mullet.

It is unlikely that members of the group will carry additional firearms, Young said. But, he added, if he hears of opposition groups attending the rally armed, then he will encourage Aryan Nations members to respond accordingly.

"I'm not going into a gun fight with a knife," he said.

That doesn't sit well for some reason.

(Montgomery County)

Quote Originally Posted by Smalls View Post
    I always that "jewish" was a religon, based on beliefs. Not a race/ethnic grouping.
    Race and ethnicity are different, they are an ethnic group not a race.

(Philadelphia County)

Quote Originally Posted by jjeez View Post
    Race and ethnicity are different, they are an ethnic group not a race.
    Race is in large part a social construct. Jews are a race insofar as being Jewish is considered a heritable trait that is not shared by other people. You're using particular definitions of race and ethnicity that are not universally shared.

(Montgomery County)

Race is in large part a social construct. Jews are a race insofar as being Jewish is considered a heritable trait that is not shared by other people. You're using particular definitions of race and ethnicity that are not universally shared.
    http://www.thefreedictionary.com/Race
    http://www.thefreedictionary.com/ethnicity

(Philadelphia County)

From your link for race:

1. A local geographic or global human population distinguished as a more or less distinct group by genetically transmitted physical characteristics.
    2. A group of people united or classified together on the basis of common history, nationality, or geographic distribution: the German race.
    3. A genealogical line; a lineage.
    4. Humans considered as a group.
    Definition 1 is the definition you like, but definitions 2-3 can easily apply to what you call an ethnicity.

From ethnicity:

1. Ethnic character, background, or affiliation.
    2. An ethnic group.
    Not too informative, but the thesaurus below says

ethnicity - an ethnic quality or affiliation resulting from racial or cultural ties; "ethnicity has a strong influence on community status relations"
    This further undermines your idea that the concept of race and ethnicity can be easily divided, since "racial or cultural ties" contribute to ethnicity.

Coming from a 90% German background and knowing I had relatives that fought on both sides of WWII it sickens me beyond belief that people in this day and age would invoke the name of Adolf Hitler and the entire Third Reich in any favorable way. I can only think (and not trying to be too deep here) that these people have come from a family life that is nothing short of horrible, that they never had one ounce of self worth instilled in them.

To glorify a regime that ruled by fear, hatred and murder tells me these people need a serious dose of reality, to show them (somehow) what horror is. I can only think of the scene from Twilight Zone where Vic Morrow walks out of the bar after bad mouthing some black guys, right into a Nazi controlled city.

And I will admit, being VERY stupid back in my early 20's I thinking I was taking pride in my German heritage I owned many Nazi items, and in my 'wanna be biker' days I wore SS wings on my vest along with other items. It was the wrong way to take pride in being of German decent and I learned that a few years later .... I was young and dumb.

But many of these people are not young, nor are all of them dumb, but they have built a hatred up inside that I wonder shouldn't be directed at their own life, not others. Sure you can believe what you want, and you have freedom of speech but to 'invade' another organizations even, even more so because it is a women's event (YWCA) to spew their vile hatred at innocent people is beyond reprehensible.

(Montgomery County)

From your link for race:

Definition 1 is the definition you like, but definitions 2-3 can easily apply to what you call an ethnicity.

From ethnicity:

Not too informative, but the thesaurus below says

This further undermines your idea that the concept of race and ethnicity can be easily divided, since "racial or cultural ties" contribute to ethnicity.
    You can choose to think what you want but the point i was making is that Race and ethnicity are different.

(Adams County)

I think that these people have every right that the rest of us have, no matter what their beliefs may be. I can't expect to be given rights that the next person is denied.

I, however, am choosing not to attend because I do not have the same beliefs. In my opinion, racism is a product of ignorance and fear. The fear that this particular group has of anyone different leads to their ignorance and the fact that they are unwilling to educate themselves otherwise.
    I carry a gun cause a cop is too heavy. Hippie and 3%er.

(Franklin County)

Grew up in Gettysburg, and went to school there, but there is no way I'll be anywhere in the vincinity on the day of the rally.
    Armalite AR-30, 6 AR15's, Glock 30, Rem 700 SPS Tac .308, 12GA, Yugo AK47 UF, AK47.

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast