Pennsylvania Firearm Owners Association
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: LTCF Question

(Philadelphia County)

Default LTCF Question

Hey all. I have been bugging my buddy to go down in 2 weeks with me to apply for our Concealed Carrry Permit. I should of already had it but right before I was handing the paperwork in I found out I had 2 old parking tickets and I would get denied because of them. Plus being laid off getting my lisence just got held up even more.

Finally I am just about ready (going down next week to pay the remainder of the parking tickets) and my buddy who I got into shooting with doesn't have his either. I am trying to get him to come down with me but he's afraid to because of this reason:

About 4 and a half years ago he had a problem, he signed HIMSELF into rehab for 30+ days, never got caught, never been arrested for anything, clean record. He is afraid they will dig into his past and find out he went to rehab and deny him his LTCF and maybe even more....IIRC though that is classified information that he went, and he's never been in trouble with the law so they can not find out...correct ???

I almost feel bad getting mine without him, he really helped me out a lot when I first started getting into firearms. I would like to repay the favor and see if I can get some informatiion pertaining to his situation. IMO since he wasn't ordered by the courts or a judge and was never arrested for it or for anything else then shouldn't he be able to get it ? And they can't find out he went to rehab because he did it own his own correct ??

Anyone with ANY help with this would be a HUGE help and is much appreciated.

Thanks in advance, Phila.
    When ALL else fails...the AK won't !! Emotions...??? emotions are for people who CARE !!!

Default Re: LTCF Question

Is he currently a user of illegal drugs?
    Was he ever forced to go into mental health observation or treatment?

The State Police run the PICS background check, and they receive copies of any Section 302 (and 303 and 304) involuntary commitment paperwork. That's how they know about "adjudications" of mental incompetence.

They would not know of any self-imposed treatment, and I don't believe that even Philadelphia asks about elective medical stays.

Before you encourage your friend to get a License to Carry Forearms, you might want to be sure that he is mature and sober enough to make life & death decisions under stress. Clearing the background check is not the only concern for carrying instant death on your hip, it's an awesome and final responsibility. Like voting, but without the funerals.
    Attorney Phil Kline, AKA gunlawyer001@gmail.com
    Ce sac n'est pas un jouet.

(Philadelphia County)

Quote Originally Posted by GunLawyer001 View Post
    Is he currently a user of illegal drugs?
    Was he ever forced to go into mental health observation or treatment?

The State Police run the PICS background check, and they receive copies of any Section 302 (and 303 and 304) involuntary commitment paperwork. That's how they know about "adjudications" of mental incompetence.

They would not know of any self-imposed treatment, and I don't believe that even Philadelphia asks about elective medical stays.

Before you encourage your friend to get a License to Carry Forearms, you might want to be sure that he is mature and sober enough to make life & death decisions under stress. Clearing the background check is not the only concern for carrying instant death on your hip, it's an awesome and final responsibility. Like voting, but without the funerals.

No he was never forced into any treatment what so ever, he voluntaraly checked himself into rehab.

He has been clean and sober for almost 5 years I know this for a fact. His dad was in the Military for 20 some years and he has grown up around guns his entire life, very experienced, very careful and he knows what he is doing. He is by far mature enough to obtain his LTCF honestly...even 5 years ago he had the knowledge, experience and understanding to carry (if he was sober of course)...he just wasn't at a good point in his life and therefore never even considered getting a LTCF.

I only say this because he is a best friend of mine (since we were in 6th grade, about 14-15 years.) If I didn't think he was compitent enough I would never of even suggested it ya know. His dad taught both him and I VERY well as far as gun safety, diffrent scenario situations, ect..ect... I still need to learn some more of course, as I do plan to, one can never have enough knowledge about firearms IMO.
    When ALL else fails...the AK won't !! Emotions...??? emotions are for people who CARE !!!

Philadelphia, and proud of it., Pennsylvania
    (Philadelphia County)

Hi PhilaShooter.

They will ask about drug use. Answering in the positive, even if it's distant past, will likely result in further pursuit of that line of questioning. If your friend has been clean for a while, there shouldn't be any problems, but you never know. govmule84's advice would no doubt be to preemptively consult with a lawyer, just in case. Some in this forum would agree, others disagree.

Just make sure and tell him to be calm, clear, and professional with all answers during the interview process, and make sure everything matches up with the paperwork. Also, make sure you have all the bits of identifying paperwork beforehand, they get really frustrated if you don't, and they do sometimes hold grudges.

-chivalrouscarry

(Philadelphia County)

Quote Originally Posted by chivalrouscarry View Post
    Hi PhilaShooter.

They will ask about drug use. Answering in the positive, even if it's distant past, will likely result in further pursuit of that line of questioning. If your friend has been clean for a while, there shouldn't be any problems, but you never know. govmule84's advice would no doubt be to preemptively consult with a lawyer, just in case. Some in this forum would agree, others disagree.

Just make sure and tell him to be calm, clear, and professional with all answers during the interview process, and make sure everything matches up with the paperwork. Also, make sure you have all the bits of identifying paperwork beforehand, they get really frustrated if you don't, and they do sometimes hold grudges.

-chivalrouscarry

Does anyone know where I can get the paperwork from ? Last time I went to the Gun Shop across from the building on Spring Garden but I've heard they were shut down since.

As far as ID you need PA drivers lisence and ??? SSC or birth cert. ??

I know I need 4 passport size photos correct, head shots only ?

Just to make 110% sure I need the paperwork filled out, 4 passport size photos, PA drivers lisence and a check or money order, I forget the exact amount but I know I'll need one...$65 was it ?

Is there anything I am missing at all ??

(Bucks County)

Quote Originally Posted by PhilaShooter View Post
    Does anyone know where I can get the paperwork from ? Last time I went to the Gun Shop across from the building on Spring Garden but I've heard they were shut down since.

As far as ID you need PA drivers lisence and ??? SSC or birth cert. ??

I know I need 4 passport size photos correct, head shots only ?

Just to make 110% sure I need the paperwork filled out, 4 passport size photos, PA drivers lisence and a check or money order, I forget the exact amount but I know I'll need one...$65 was it ?

Is there anything I am missing at all ??

The license application paperwork? Click Here

Quote Originally Posted by PhilaShooter View Post

As F'ed up as Philly's process for LTCFs is, I don't think they even charge $65 for a license. I think they just charge $25...one of the few UFA statutes they actually abide by!

(Bucks County)

Quote Originally Posted by HiredGoon View Post
    As F'ed up as Philly's process for LTCFs is, I don't think they even charge $65 for a license. I think they just charge $25...one of the few UFA statutes they actually abide by!
    after getting into "trouble" for ONLY charging $19....

(Philadelphia County)

Quote Originally Posted by mrjam2jab View Post
    The license application paperwork? Click Here

Thank you for the link, much appreciated !

(Lehigh County)

That chivalrouscarry, he's psychic, I swear to God.

Go see a lawyer. They'll try to find a way to screw him out of it - better forewarned and forearmed.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast