Pennsylvania Firearm Owners Association
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: What To Do?

(Cumberland County)

Default What To Do?

Ok, the time for my next purchase has arrived. I've been driving myself crazy over what to get. I'm looking for a handgun that I can use as a carry gun that is smaller than full size. I like carrying my XD Service but it is a little chunky. Only other criteria is that I can only spend $500-$600. I'd prefer to spend on the lower end of that scale so I have some ammo money!

I was set on an S&W 642 or a 638 but now I just don't know. Maybe a Kahr, or a Sig P238, or 232. Maybe a Ruger SP101, or matching Kel Tec P3ATs, one on strong and weak side. Or maybe a Glock 26? I don't think I want an XDSC, not that I wouldn't love it, I just wanna change things up a little. I'd love a 4 inch 1911, but I'm not sure I wanna mess with the 1911s in my price range.

Anyone know of any places in Central PA that have a large selection of used guns? I'm in Harrisburg and there isn't anything near me. I need to take a little road trip...

I know that I should feel up/shoot as many guns as I can and decide what's right for me, just looking for a few suggestions, to make sure I didn't miss anything.

Oh yeah, anyone know where I can even see a Sig P238 in Central PA?
    Selling off a a sizeable Spyderco collection here

(Adams County)

Default Re: What To Do?

Quote Originally Posted by rwb1500 View Post
    Anyone know of any places in Central PA that have a large selection of used guns? I'm in Harrisburg and there isn't anything near me. I need to take a little road trip...
    Come on down to Redding Hardware in Gettysburg on South Franklin Street. They have a huge selection of used guns.

(Adams County)

I picked up a S&W 642 a little over a year ago for around $200 (I think). It was a bit worn, and I did buy it with another gun...but you can find a deal.

It's a great little revolver, but I've got big hands so it feels slightly uncomfortable for me...but I've run into that with all the smaller carry pistols except the Bersa Thunder .380....which I picked up for about $175. The Bersa is a very fun gun to shoot, I must add.

My local shop had a Kahr, and honestly I hated it...I wanted to like it, but I couldn't stand the feel of it.

Both are nice little summer carry guns for me, if I don't feel like trying to hide my favored Beretta (which the Bersa reminds me a lot of).

That's all I can offer, as those are the only ones I've got or shot enough of to comment (and you didn't mention the bersa, but the Sig p232 is simliar in style)

camper
    It's the 2nd Amendment that protects all others

(Cumberland County)

Try Shyda's in Lebanon for the sig p238. Last time I was there, which was a couple months ago, I asked about the p238 and they didn't have them yet but he showed me a couple of the price tags for them. So they were in the process of getting them. Give them a call, they also have used guns there, not a big selection, but they have really good prices on all there guns.

(Dauphin County)

Quote Originally Posted by rwb1500 View Post

Gun Show this weekend... Harrisburg Farm Show Complex...

(Centre County)

How about a S&W M&P9c? In your price range. Great gun and heavily in my summer carry rotation. In 9 or .40. Get some full size mags for a back up mag or range fun and your set.

Harrisburg Fun Show and/or the Valley Forge Gun Show this weekend should help you find what your looking for (and dispose of that pesky 500 bucks you have laying around...).
    I don't watch shark week. Sharks watch FLICK week.

(Bucks County)

Quote Originally Posted by punxsutawneypete View Post
    Come on down to Redding Hardware in Gettysburg on South Franklin Street. They have a huge selection of used guns.
    I go to Reddings everytime we go to Gettysburg and punxsutawneypete is right that place is awsome.

I'm going to Cabela's This morning to get a Ruger LCR. 5 shot .38 Spl. that the reviews speak highly of. On sale for $479. I've look at others but I've never had a bad Ruger and from things I've see, I don't want an auto. This is my last line of defence so I want a wheel gun.
    Last edited by WVBob; June 12th, 2010 at 09:47 AM.

(Philadelphia County)

The P232 is a similar size to the G26, and a similar weight in stainless (a few oz lighter in the alloy version). It is shaped slightly differently, which may or may not help your concealment.

The P232 / G26 are about my minimum size I can go to while still gripping the gun comfortably.

You might get a slight edge out of a j-frame in terms of weight, size and shape. Many people say that the shape of a revolver aids concealment versus a Glock. I thought about going that route myself, but then I tried shooting an airweight and it was neither efficient nor pleasant.

(Lackawanna County)

G26 for CC. P238 for DEEP concealment aka ankle holster.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast