Pennsylvania Firearm Owners Association
Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast
    (Northampton County)

Default Grocery store - Very strange encounter today

My situational awareness is pretty good. But I've been noticing I haven't been carrying myself properly as of late. I try to be a humble man and very polite around strangers in public. I never look down, but try to avoid "inappropriate" eye contact somewhat, so as not to confront people and to leave them alone. Those of you who know what I am talking about already know that my behavior is incorrect.

So, today, I tried to correct my demeanor while out shopping. Anybody who has met me knows I am not a confrontational person, and knows I am polite and smile to people I meet. This is a process of self-improvement, not some drastic change of behavior that happened today.

Long story short, and too long already, I ran into a shopper today. He was about 15 feet from leaving a shopping isle when I turned to go in. He had very aggressive clothing and aggressive tattoos. Living in PA for 3 years, I've learned not to judge people by such things, but that was the vibe he was trying to put out. I checked his waist and then looked at him and he looked back. We looked at each other for at least 3 seconds, and that's a long time. It was a really long time. He freaked out and picked his shopping cart up off the ground and moved it all the way to the side of the isle, smashing into the product on the shelves, to let me pass. Having been a shopper for 25 years, this was the first time I've seen this.

Maybe the guy was a BG. I doubt it. At least, he wasn't a BG today. He was buying groceries. This is not very positive reinforcement for me trying to maintain posture and situational awareness while OC. I was raised to be polite and having others perceive me as adversarial is a sin to my upbringing.

Anybody have any tips on how to carry yourself properly without intruding on peoples' space?

(Philadelphia County)

Default Re: Grocery store - Very strange encounter today

You said that you checked out his waist. Did he see your OC?
    If guns kill people, then pencils misspell words.

Chambersburg PA (Pure Appalachia), Pennsylvania
    (Franklin County)

Quote Originally Posted by ungawa View Post
    My situational awareness is pretty good. But I've been noticing I haven't been carrying myself properly as of late. I try to be a humble man and very polite around strangers in public. I never look down, but try to avoid "inappropriate" eye contact somewhat, so as not to confront people and to leave them alone. Those of you who know what I am talking about already know that my behavior is incorrect.

So, today, I tried to correct my demeanor while out shopping. Anybody who has met me knows I am not a confrontational person, and knows I am polite and smile to people I meet. This is a process of self-improvement, not some drastic change of behavior that happened today.

Long story short, and too long already, I ran into a shopper today. He was about 15 feet from leaving a shopping isle when I turned to go in. He had very aggressive clothing and aggressive tattoos. Living in PA for 3 years, I've learned not to judge people by such things, but that was the vibe he was trying to put out. I checked his waist and then looked at him and he looked back. We looked at each other for at least 3 seconds, and that's a long time. It was a really long time. He freaked out and picked his shopping cart up off the ground and moved it all the way to the side of the isle, smashing into the product on the shelves, to let me pass. Having been a shopper for 25 years, this was the first time I've seen this.

Maybe the guy was a BG. I doubt it. At least, he wasn't a BG today. He was buying groceries. This is not very positive reinforcement for me trying to maintain posture and situational awareness while OC. I was raised to be polite and having others perceive me as adversarial is a sin to my upbringing.

Anybody have any tips on how to carry yourself properly without intruding on peoples' space?
    What (if anything) did you see at his waist? And did you stop before entering the aisle? He may have percieved any pause or stop as a signal of some sort. And after being on this forum as long as you have, you already know that there are folks (even without tatoos of ANY kind) who will jump to the most highly unwarranted conclusions on little reason, and often for NO reason that any rational human could imagine.

Flash
    "The life unexamined is not worth living." ....... Socrates

(Lackawanna County)

Hey, somebody's gotta be the alpha...
    "...a REPUBLIC, if you can keep it."

(Northampton County)

Not sure what you mean by the tattoos. What did you mean?

I check waists all the time, I saw nothing. I was just looking at him and he looked at me and it continued for about a full three seconds. The encounter started at a distance of about 30 feet. I did not stop my cart and he flipped out before i was within 15 feet. This dude was very serious about getting out of my way.

Back to my question. As a young man, I was a little confrontational with people. Not trying to START confrontations, I just didn't realize how I was being perceived. When I got on the job in the real world in the 90s I had to deal with admin women, and they were not having any of it. That is very painful to a guy raised to be polite like I was. So I spent about a decade trying to be more demure (OMG). Never changed anything about how I deal with my friends or lovers but my public demeanor is a little confused since I was raised to be polite at all times and now I have to evaluate everybody I meet in public.

(Delaware County)

Quote Originally Posted by ungawa View Post

Dude sounds like a spaz.

Maybe he was English ... lol.

Since it was your first experience like this, I wouldnt sweat it too hard.

It doesnt happen every day, right?

(Monroe County)

Maybe he thought you were looking at his ballaz? Ungawa to encounter the first hoplomophobe.
    Quote Originally Posted by headcase View Post
    let them eventually bring the FBI to kill my wife and son over fucking chickens....

(York County)

where you carrying? If so was it open or concealed. Maybe he saw you printing or saw your open carried firearm and maybe he was from NY or NJ.
    Xbox Live Gamertag: My Tango Sucka

(Monroe County)

Quote Originally Posted by S&WM&P40 View Post
    where you carrying? If so was it open or concealed. Maybe he saw you printing or saw your open carried firearm and maybe he was from NY or NJ.
    He was open carrying
    Quote Originally Posted by headcase View Post
    let them eventually bring the FBI to kill my wife and son over fucking chickens....

(Schuylkill County)

Sounds like my first encounter with ungawa. However, after 3 seconds he turned HIS head first and opened up with something suppressed, full auto. I considered this extremely friendly and non-confrontational. Keep up the good work!

Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast