Pennsylvania Firearm Owners Association
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Default Re: What kind of references do I need for a CCW application?

Cumberland County requires references to be residents of said county. That being said the only two people I knew in Cumberland were two of my employees, sheriff's office didn't even contact them.

(Chester County)

So in short, it's pretty much a non event to obtain a LTCF (sorry for the wrong term :P).

I like the back pack idea for the range.

And no, I'm not going to go carrying it without a holster .

That would be quite a LEO encounter posting... Carrying a handgun "in my hand" - can we call that mode of carry "IMH" ? Get your LTCF in Philly so you can legally OC, and carry IMH and see what happens.

My comments here are a joke, btw. Don't do this.
    Tommy610, NRA Member, Romans 12:18

(Lehigh County)

I used 2 friends. Neither were called. Possibly, they only call if they find something questionable in your background.
    I wondered if cousins could be used, it says immediate family.

Just curiously, would a father in law count as a family member? Does family member entail only blood relations. What about second or third cousins? I think you can legally marry your third cousin.

(Chester County)

Quote Originally Posted by tommy610 View Post
    That would be quite a LEO encounter posting... Carrying a handgun "in my hand" - can we call that mode of carry "IMH" ? Get your LTCF in Philly so you can legally OC, and carry IMH and see what happens.

My comments here are a joke, btw. Don't do this.
    Well, open carry is pretty much the only way I could afford to do it until I can get a nice shoulder holster, as I've tried Mexican style IWB around the house and it hits some important things when I sit down .

IMG_0336.JPG

Heck, on my budget, I couldn't have afforded a holster if it hadn't come with it . Left hand at that... No regrets though, it will be a great range gun. I'll take some pics of the holster and my "safe" later and show the whole baby picture album if you will. If there's one thing gun lovers love, it's pictures of guns and gun paraphernalia.

TBH, right now I have no plans on carrying as it's on the large side for that given my current state of dress. I don't wear a jacket very often, and I haven't seen that many rigs that I would be interested in trying that would fit inside a pair of pants (and a few looked interesting, but are literally a quarter the cost of the gun). Plus I spend 80 percent of my time in a place where I can't carry (either open or concealed).

I just want my LTCF so I can drive to the range strapped without breaking any laws. That will make me a happy man for the time being.

Sometime down the road I'm hoping to invest in a Fobus swivel holster with a shoulder rig. That would be ideal IMO. Then I'll start wearing a jacket... just for the other 20 percent of the time and see if I enjoy carrying. I'm not an open carry type of guy, especially with a .357 mag. Apparently some people think it's a rather large gun with a 4 inch barrel. I hope to be able to afford a S&W .500 some day, so go figure .

As for father in law as a reference, I would imagine you could easily get away with it. Different last names.

(Bucks County)

Quote Originally Posted by SimplyComplicated View Post

As for father in law as a reference, I would imagine you could easily get away with it. Different last names.

My sister and I have different last names.... Just hope they dont ask "How do you know Mr. Applicant?"

(Dauphin County)

I've always wondered how far one would get writing down the governor and some mayor near. I've also pondered writing down Metcalfe and Rohrer.

It brings up an interesting question. While it might be easy in many cases to know what your 'name' or 'address' might be and fail to fill them out to the best of your knowledge, information, and belief, just what exactly is a 'reference' and how could it be filled out contrary to not providing false information to law enforcement? I don't see why the sheriff would not be required to receive your application and issue or deny within 45 days of the receipt, and by what reason he could deny if you put something like that on an application. I would hate to think that a sheriff could deny licenses on reason "accuracy of application" if he could just claim that the references refused to respond or said they didn't know the guy.

(Chester County)

Quote Originally Posted by MDJschool View Post
    I've always wondered how far one would get writing down the governor and some mayor near. I've also pondered writing down Metcalfe and Rohrer.

It brings up an interesting question. While it might be easy in many cases to know what your 'name' or 'address' might be and fail to fill them out to the best of your knowledge, information, and belief, just what exactly is a 'reference' and how could it be filled out contrary to not providing false information to law enforcement? I don't see why the sheriff would not be required to receive your application and issue or deny within 45 days of the receipt, and by what reason he could deny if you put something like that on an application. I would hate to think that a sheriff could deny licenses on reason "accuracy of application" if he could just claim that the references refused to respond or said they didn't know the guy.
    Well isn't having to apply already a bit of an infringement on the second amendment? I'm pretty sure nobody needed a permit or any letters of recommendation, or ANY kind of government oversight to buy and carry a gun in 1776.

The trouble now is that to some extent, it is a good thing to regulate who can own a firearm (I'll put my flame suit on here). For example I don't believe that people who are mentally ill should own firearms, let alone carry them. But I don't like the extensive regulation that is occurring. It should be two, maybe three questions tops - are you a criminal, or are you mentally ill? Okay you aren't either of those two things so you're free to own and carry across the country. Some safety training wouldn't hurt either (there are an awful lot of stupid people out there).

The trouble is, we've ended up going down a slippery slope. Now, in some states you can't carry unless you are wealthy and/or have political connections. I'm pretty sure that's not what our founding fathers intended. I get it, some people don't like guns and they think guns are responsible for crime, but those people are making a moral judgment which the founders of our country didn't make.

Guns don't kill people - people kill people. But someone who has probably never handled a firearm in their life and may have only ever been on the receiving end of gun violence (directly or indirectly through friends/family) may decide to campaign against the evil gun owners to stop them from owning guns. So the end result is to make things as complicated and as vague as possible so no one can own a gun, because since they made the choice not to own one, then no one else should own one either. To ensure that no one else can own one, they will chip around at the edges slowly and steadily so that it becomes more and more difficult to own and carry a firearm.

So, short story long, yeah it makes no sense, but I'm pretty sure that you can be denied on the basis of an improperly filled out application. This is simply because it ends up in the hands of someone else. If the sheriff is pro gun, then he or she will probably tell you to correct the error and issue the permit, but if he or she is not, they will probably use the improperly filled out application as a reason to deny the permit - oops license .

(Monroe County)

I have a serious problem with ltcf. I can buy 50 handguns at dunkleburger or on line. But I need refrences to carry? What if I don't want people to know I carry a weapon. It needs to be abolished. It's a tool for infringing. Period!

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast