Pennsylvania Firearm Owners Association
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    (Lehigh County)

Default State College Gun Range?

Hi everyone, I'm new to all this so bear with me.

A friend of mine is leaving the country soon because she is on a student visa. She had mentioned that the one thing she wanted to do before leaving is shoot a gun because she has never shot one before. So I'm looking for:

1. a good gun range in state college area to go to (pistols and rifles if possible), instruction preferable. I do have a car, so distance isn't an issue, but I don't want to drive too far out of state college.
    2. some information about gun ranges since I've never been to one before.

so my questions are:
    -What kind of safety regulations are there in a gun range? How do I know that I won't meet some wacko that decides to shoot at other people?

-Are there any requirements to shoot at a gun range? Neither of us has a license to own any firearms, and she has no experience while I've only shot my friend's winchester rifle and a few bb guns.

-Since neither of us owns any guns, is it possible to rent guns for the day?

-Is there anything I should know about things that are and aren't acceptable to do before going to a gun range?

(Centre County)

Default Re: State College Gun Range?

Quote Originally Posted by pandamoose View Post
    Hi everyone, I'm new to all this so bear with me.

A friend of mine is leaving the country soon because she is on a student visa. She had mentioned that the one thing she wanted to do before leaving is shoot a gun because she has never shot one before. So I'm looking for:

1. a good gun range in state college area to go to (pistols and rifles if possible), instruction preferable. I do have a car, so distance isn't an issue, but I don't want to drive too far out of state college.
    2. some information about gun ranges since I've never been to one before.
    Really the only gun range in the State College area that is close is the PA Game Commission range at Scotia. Many PaFOA members from this area go there to shoot.

How soon is she leaving? I am sure we can set up a group shoot at the range where there would be plently of guns to shoot and a lot of people to help give instruction (I'll detail this a bit later)

so my questions are:
    -What kind of safety regulations are there in a gun range? How do I know that I won't meet some wacko that decides to shoot at other people?
    The safety regulations for the PGC range can be found on the PGC web site and if we get a shoot together they will be explained. Mostly it is common sense. There is NEVER a guarantee that you will not meet a wacko at a range, it happens but very, very, very, VERY, rarely. Again you will be surrounded by very friendly, very safety concerned, mentally stable people.

-Are there any requirements to shoot at a gun range? Neither of us has a license to own any firearms, and she has no experience while I've only shot my friend's winchester rifle and a few bb guns.
    There are no real requirements to shoot at the range, you don't need a license and if we get a shoot together, you don't even need to have a gun, again, there will be plenty to shoot.

Prior to any shooting I will have a safety and range etiquette session so that everyone understands what is going to happen. This will give you a chance to ask any questions you may have. REMEMBER, when it comes to firearms and shooting THERE ARE NO STUPID QUESTIONS, DO NOT BE AFRAID TO ASK, that's how you learn.

-Since neither of us owns any guns, is it possible to rent guns for the day?
    See above, and no one will charge you to shoot their guns. We love to get people started in the shooting sports.

-Is there anything I should know about things that are and aren't acceptable to do before going to a gun range?
    Don't worry, everything will be explained, in full detail, about what will happen. You can ask as many questions as you want. If you go to some of the other threads here at PaFOA the "stickys" will give you a lot of information. If you still have questions, just post them here since this thread is started and someone willl answer them.

I will be starting a new thread to see what the response willl be to a Saturday or Sunday shoot at Scotia. I think you may be amazed at how many people will say "I'll be there and am bringing my x, y, z, guns.

The only thing that you will need to bring to the range is eye protection and ear protection. You can get shooting glasses very cheaply at Wal-Mart, the same with ear protection (or let me know and I'll pass the word, most shooters have multiples of everything and again they are willing to share).

Again, we need to know when you'll be leaving town so we can get this set up. It usually takes a couple weeks to get everything ironed out because of peoples plans in the summer time.

If you want to discuss it more, just post here or give me a call at 814-867-0867 and leave a message if I don't pick up.
    Ron USAF Ret E-8 FFL01/SOT3 NRA Benefactor Member

(Lehigh County)

Ok thanks.

My friend is leaving on the 14th of July. If it's possible to set up a group trip by then, please let me know.

As far as protective eyewear/earwear goes, is it absolutely necessary? And if it is, are glasses acceptable or does it have to be protective goggles?

Finally, is there anything else that we may need to bring such as targets or something?

(Centre County)

Glasses are ok if they have a shatter proof lense. Don't worry about them, there are plenty of people that will lend you some. I'll bring some extras just in case. No need for targets, there willl be plenty also. Just come out and be ready for some fun.
    Ron USAF Ret E-8 FFL01/SOT3 NRA Benefactor Member

(Lehigh County)

one quick question.... you are listed as living in allentown... thats where im from.. just moved out here like 2 years ago... what are you doing all the way out here??

(Lehigh County)

i'm a student at penn state. I hail from allentown.

(Schuylkill County)

yeah i have been living in boalsburg now for 4 years just got out to scoita range the other day really nice..... not the burma range by any means

(Lehigh County)

Quote Originally Posted by lilb93 View Post
    yeah i have been living in boalsburg now for 4 years just got out to scoita range the other day really nice..... not the burma range by any means
    did you get in the gate or were you outside at the aux. ranges?
    last time i was there we took a friend who never shot before and i was teaching her how to shoot a pistol when someone with an ak look alike squeezed off about 10 rounds from about 15 feet behind us.... i was pissed...

and pandamoose... where in allentown are ya from??

(Lehigh County)

Quote Originally Posted by Bigrepp61 View Post
    did you get in the gate or were you outside at the aux. ranges?
    last time i was there we took a friend who never shot before and i was teaching her how to shoot a pistol when someone with an ak look alike squeezed off about 10 rounds from about 15 feet behind us.... i was pissed...

and pandamoose... where in allentown are ya from??
    I'm from lower macungie, across the street from dorney park and down a bit on the other side of 309/78. if you know where the pizza hut on hamilton and kressler dr. is, i live behind there. how about you?

(Lehigh County)

i know exactly where ya are at... i lived on the other side of town almost into bethlehem.... if you are familiar with the highschools in the area i lived down by dieruff...

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast