Pennsylvania Firearm Owners Association

Default Shells for 70 plus yr. old Remington 12 ga pump

have not been fired since late 50's. been in family since new...was my Dad's. what type shell is recommended. i recall all shells at the last time of firing were paper. before firing will have gunsmith check out, although never had any issues with gun. i remember firing as a young man...full choke, big kick. might not be an issue today. this dates me but military issues were M1 Garand and Carbine at different times. thanks in advance for comments. Hilly

Default Re: Shells for 70 plus yr. old Remington 12 ga pump

Definitely have it checked out by a gunsmith if you aren't sure of it's condition before shooting it.

But, do you have any other information on the gun? I am inclined to say you should be fine with most 2 3/4" 12GA ammunition out there, as long as you stick with lead shot. But this is just an initial reaction.

(Centre County)

Have it checked out by a gunsmith to insure everything functions properly. Then, if everything is good, pick up some target or light field loads to see what it does. Being that old it may not be chambered for 3 inch, probably 2 3/4 inch. It will tell you on the barrel. I still shoot, every now and then, a early 50's JC Higgins 12 ga pump that my father gave me when he won a Mossberg 835 a few years back. Does just fine with the 2 3/4 light loads.
    Ron USAF Ret E-8 FFL01/SOT3 NRA Benefactor Member

(Delaware County)

I have a couple of shotguns I didn't shoot for 30 years. They weren't a problem when I put them away, they weren't a problem when I finally took them out and shot them.

If it has had some maintenence during it's time not being shot, I see no reason to doubt it now. I've never seen a gun deteriorate from sitting unless it was allowed to become a rust bucket.

By all means have someone give it a once over. It never hurts to have peace of mind.
    I love the smell of gunpowder in the morning.[

R.I.P......Murphy.