Pennsylvania Firearm Owners Association
Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast
    (Lawrence County)

Default Finishing your own rifle stock.

A couple years back I finished a rifle stock for my father from Richard's Microfit. Not the best picture, but I lost my progress disk...(it's around here somewhere).

Richard's stocks are "98%" inletted, but I found you need about 4 hours with a Dremel to get the action in. They also state a backorder of about 12 weeks. 20 is about the actual......

Despite this, there are some really good deals on the site...especially the slight blemish stocks and stocks that were ordered and cancelled.

http://www.rifle-stocks.com/

Anyhow, I figured I'd document the next one I'm doing for myself. Same style. Here's what they look like raw.

I like a semi gloss finish so that takes a bottle of tru oil, a pack of coffee filters and a about 15 hours. All in all.....figure 20-30 hours. I think most could do it a lot faster if you wanted a satin finish or just had it sprayed with poly.

Just got the aluminum pillars in with reinforced acraglass on the recoil lug. I'm starting to form the pistol grip to the hand.....more pics to come.

Lycanit'srelaxingthrope

I taught Chuck Norris to bump-fire.

(Westmoreland County)

Default Re: Finishing your own rifle stock.

Ohhhhh perty.

(Allegheny County)

Those are some neat looking stocks. I look forward to watching your progress.

btw the thumb hole on your dad's stock is hypnotizing.

Some day, Ill have to get you to make a pen to see the wood transform from block to shine.

PS on the finish, have you ever seen 2 part resins like Envirotex Lite? http://www.dickblick.com/zz029/18/ I did a bathroom door with this stuff, took me about 8 kits, but the look.... Maybe i need to redo a stock this winter
    Skeet is a sport where you are better to hit half of each bird then completely blast one and miss the other completely.

The choice is yours, place your faith in the court system and 12 of your peers, or carried away by 6 friends.

Nemo Me Impune Lacessit. 'Nobody provokes me with impunity'
    ΜOΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ

In this world there's two kinds of people, my friend. Those with loaded guns, and those who dig. You dig.
    Clint Eastwood
    The Good, The Bad and The Ugly

(Lawrence County)

Quote Originally Posted by Frenchy View Post
    PS on the finish, have you ever seen 2 part resins like Envirotex Lite? http://www.dickblick.com/zz029/18/ I did a bathroom door with this stuff, took me about 8 kits, but the look.... Maybe i need to redo a stock this winter
    Post pics.....I may be persuaded.

Lycanopenthrope

(Lawrence County)

Well, progress is being made. Gun has been pillared and the wood around the action and barrel is relieved. Forgive the dirty acraglass. I had sanding dust everywhere.

I've deepened several angles and laid in the first coat of finish. Reely deepened up the color. I'll withhold more pics until it gets some shimmer (after about 10 coats) Should be done for the Paofa westy shoot.

(Allegheny County)

Quote Originally Posted by Lycanthrope View Post

<snip>

I like a semi gloss finish so that takes a bottle of tru oil, a pack of coffee filters and a about 15 hours. All in all.....figure 20-30 hours. I think most could do it a lot faster if you wanted a satin finish or just had it sprayed with poly.

<snip>

Lycanit'srelaxingthrope
    OK; for those of us just starting down the path of stock re-finishing; what's the coffee filters for?

Also - do you do a base stain, then Tru-Oil (assuming it is like Tung Oil) over it?

What do you use for base stain?

THX!
    Skip in PGH

(Lawrence County)

Quote Originally Posted by nfafan View Post
    OK; for those of us just starting down the path of stock re-finishing; what's the coffee filters for?

Also - do you do a base stain, then Tru-Oil (assuming it is like Tung Oil) over it?

What do you use for base stain?

THX!
    Skip in PGH
    The laminate is already stained. Adding oil will dark the color significantly. You can otherwise, stain or burn the stock to add color.

When I have the stock shaped the way I want (using a Dremel) and all the hardware has been fitted, I sand the stock with coarse paper to take out any gouges or imperfections. I work my way up to 2000 grit paper. At that point, I steam the stock with an iron to raise the grain (making it rough again) and then knocking off the edges again with paper.

For finishing, you need to fill the grain with oil gradually and this gives the stock a shimmer/transluscent effect in the light. The early coats you can lay on thick and let dry without care to the finish. Once it dries, you can rub most of the finish back off with steel wool or 2000 grit paper. I prefer the paper because steel wool will wear the wood faster than the laminate glue and cause a ridged feel. You do this over and over until the pores of the wood are full and the finish looks smooth (which can take up to 20+ coats). Birchwood Casey makes a stock filler and sealer, but it makes a mess and degrades the shine. When you are ready for final finish, you rub the Tru Oil in with your fingers quickly and with the grain until it is almost fully dried. You then buff it hard and fast with the coffee filter to get a perfect smooth shine. Many times I rub filler coats out with the filters to get a feel for it and to coloring progress. I perfer the flat coffer filters without ripples and I just tear off the seam.

Armor All-will also harden Tru Oil alomst instantly. If you're in a rush you can spray a shot on your hands and speed drying.

Lycanhopethisisclearerthrope
    Last edited by Lycanthrope; October 24th, 2007 at 08:13 AM.

(Northumberland County)

ive been thinking of getting some stocks from them for some time now but never got around to ordering.

i guess i should put my order in now, judging by the turnaround time!!!

(Lawrence County)

Quote Originally Posted by deth502 View Post
    ive been thinking of getting some stocks from them for some time now but never got around to ordering.

i guess i should put my order in now, judging by the turnaround time!!!
    They have overstocks that should come faster, but anything that needs to be cut takes forever. Theyt also don't answer e mails very well. Just be forewarned.

Lycannotfortheimpatientthrope

Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast