Pennsylvania Firearm Owners Association
Page 1 of 6 12345 ... LastLast

Lightbulb Female Perspective Wanted

I've been reading the several hundred/thousand posts about handgun preferences and to put it mildly, it's overwhelming. So, in order to narrow my focus, I'm looking for input from the women here.

Now, before you post what YOU think is a good idea, let me say that I prefer to hear what you're girlfriend/wife/SO likes in a handgun. And if you're a woman on this site, I am very interested in what you shoot and like to shoot.

I'll have limited money to spend when I buy a handgun, so I want to make the best choice. I'd like to narrow the field for which guns I try out. In general, I will be looking for something that will be a good self-defense gun, easy to find/afford ammo, and easy to conceal. (for the record, I support OC but don't feel comfortable doing so in most situations myself).

I've seen lots of good information on this site, so I expect that those who can contribute will be equally helpful.

Default Re: Female Perspective Wanted

If you haven't found it already, you absolutely want to check out Kathy Jackson's site at www.corneredcat.com.

Lightbulb Re: Female Perspective Wanted

Quote Originally Posted by donm View Post
    If you haven't found it already, you absolutely want to check out Kathy Jackson's site at www.corneredcat.com.
    Thanks - I have read that site (yes, the entire thing ) and I agree it is well-written and extremely informative. I'd like to hear some other opinions, though, because guns are extremely personal choices.

I'm looking to narrow the field to a dozen or less choices to begin with. I don't expect to be able to pick directly from that grouping, but it will help me see which types I like and which I don't.

(Philadelphia County)

My wife carries a Ruger LCP either in an IWB holster or on her ankle. She practices it and can get a 2 - 3" groupings at 21'. She's about 100lbs, 5'5" and is a professional working woman. The LCP is a perfect gun for her given her size and her clothing style. Weighing in at 9oz empty, 6 + 1 at around 13oz, it's comfortable on the ankle all day long. The size makes it disappear under her clothes when carried IWB.

Her favorite guns at the range are the Glock 19 and the Kimber 1911. The G19 is her primary HD gun. While she's very good with my G26, it's absolutely impossible for her to conceal.

She has gone through Walther PPK/S (too heavy), NAA Guardian (crazy heavy trigger), and Beretta Tomcat (unreliable, frame cracked)...all were subsequently sold. Even the tiny Tomcat was thick and much more heavy, while chambers only .32ACP.

Recently, we've been looking at the Sig P238 because of her love for the 1911 platform, but it too is much heavier and less concealable than the LCP.

I think the key is to get a gun that will fit your carry mode and allows for you to carry at all times, then work to be proficient with that gun, because those that are nice to shoot and easy to handle etc. are general hardly concealable for women.

Al

Mrs. Plinker reads here, but does not post. I can tell you this though, as an instructor of both men and women, it is what you find comfortable and what fits your lifestyle. First, you need to find a gun that fits your hand well, and which is controllable for you. Second, that gun needs to fit the way you dress, or you need to be willing to modify the way you dress to fit the gun. If you don't meet these two criteria, you are not going to be happy with it, and that means you won't carry it.

Whatever you pick, it does not have to have a high dollar amount attached to it, or lots of accessories attached to it. It does not have to be pink, purple, or whatever color you choose (unless you like that color and it happens to be on the gun that fits you best). What is important is that it goes bang every time you pull the trigger.

There are things to consider beyond what I have outlined above. Does the gun in question have sharp edges, or is it well rounded? Two guns of identical size can feel quite different in your hand just if the edges are rounded a little more. The same goes for sights. Does the gun you like have sights that are conducive to being yanked out of your shirt without taking your shirt with them? How about a hammer? Does the gun you like have an exposed hammer, a shrouded hammer, no hammer?

What kind of holsters are available for the gun you like? Some guns have holster choices everywhere you go. Others, no one seems to make a holster for them. Cab you get a holster to match your style of carry? Of course, many of us can tell you that your style of carry is a hard thing to pin down right away, and you may go through a number of holsters trying to figure out what you like and why. And that may change from situation to situation. Mrs. Plinker picks on me because I tease her about her shoes, but she says I have a different gun for every occasion - work around the house, going to town, BBQs, church, etc. A man has to accessorize something you know.

Anyway, I am not anywhere close to a woman, unless Mrs. Plinker is around, but I hope this helps you out some.

(Bucks County)

My wife has been shooting with me for 15 years. The only gun that is "hers" is her S&W M60 Ladysmith in .357. She does not feel comfortable carrying a semiautomatic, and loved the look and feel of the Ladysmith. It is a little heavier than my .38 that I wanted her to carry but the extra weight makes the .38+p carry loads feel like target ammo.
    Guns are dangerous, but no guns is more dangerous.

(Montgomery County)

PennsyPlinker's post is right on the mark.

My wife stole my Sig P225. It is now "her" gun but she only shoots it at the range. As far as a CCW, she is not comfortable carrying so she really doesn't. The very few times that she did, it was a S&W 64 snubbie.

Bye for a while, guard the fort. - My Dad

(Luzerne County)

My wife carries a Taurus medel 85. I suggest you go to a few shops and see what fits your hand best. This does not cost any more then your time and gas. Then come back to the forum and inquire if any one here has what you are interested in. Someone may even take you to the range to try that gun out.
    troll Free. It's all in your mind.

I hadn't thought about the ankle holster, but given that I usually wear dress pants, this would be a logical choice. The only other choice would likely be a purse, which only seems practical or safe in limited circumstances.

Quote Originally Posted by mythaeus View Post
    My wife carries a Ruger LCP either in an IWB holster or on her ankle. She practices it and can get a 2 - 3" groupings at 21'. She's about 100lbs, 5'5" and is a professional working woman. The LCP is a perfect gun for her given her size and her clothing style. Weighing in at 9oz empty, 6 + 1 at around 13oz, it's comfortable on the ankle all day long. The size makes it disappear under her clothes when carried IWB.

Her favorite guns at the range are the Glock 19 and the Kimber 1911. The G19 is her primary HD gun. While she's very good with my G26, it's absolutely impossible for her to conceal.

She has gone through Walther PPK/S (too heavy), NAA Guardian (crazy heavy trigger), and Beretta Tomcat (unreliable, frame cracked)...all were subsequently sold. Even the tiny Tomcat was thick and much more heavy, while chambers only .32ACP.

Recently, we've been looking at the Sig P238 because of her love for the 1911 platform, but it too is much heavier and less concealable than the LCP.

I think the key is to get a gun that will fit your carry mode and allows for you to carry at all times, then work to be proficient with that gun, because those that are nice to shoot and easy to handle etc. are general hardly concealable for women.

Al

(Montgomery County)

PennsyPlinker was right on. Do not buy until you test drive. Check around for a group shoot local to you and you will be able to try possibly dozens of different types to see what you like. Caveat emptor!
    Join the groups protecting your rights from the fools trying to take them from you!

Page 1 of 6 12345 ... LastLast