Pennsylvania Firearm Owners Association
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    (Northampton County)

Question Checked firearm on airline question...

I have a question regarding checking a firearm on airlines. I know you can put a firearm in your checked baggage and alert them as long as you follow their/state/federal rules, as long as where you are leaving from and going to it is legal to possess.

My question comes in regarding layovers - If you are flying from PA to UT in one hop, it is no problem to check a firearm, as both places are legal. Now, if you are flying from PA to UT on one ticket/itinerary, and have a layover in Chicago...is it still legal to fly with it as long as only the airline is handling your luggage, or does it now become illegal?

Any input from someone with experience with this would be greatly appreciated!!
    And don't think you're off the hook, voters, you're the ones who made this bed. Now you're the ones who are going to have to move over so a gay couple can sleep in it. Tomorrow you're all going to wake up in a brave new world, a world where the Constitution gets trampled by an army of terrorist clones, created in a stem-cell research lab run by homosexual doctors who sterilize their instruments over burning American flags. -- Stephen Colbert

Default Re: Checked firearm on airline question...

Just my thoughts here. I would think there would be no problem as you do not have access to your checked luggage, and therefore no access to the gun, during a layover.

(Philadelphia County)

Quote Originally Posted by HiredGoon View Post
    Just my thoughts here. I would think there would be no problem as you do not have access to your checked luggage, and therefore no access to the gun, during a layover.
    ...but if your flight is unexpectedly canceled and they uncheck your luggage...

http://forum.pafoa.org/general-2/953...ossession.html

(Pike County)

And more question - since TSA must have access to friggin everything - should the gun case be unlocked? Can I at least lock the gun/action itself?

locked case you keep the key/combo....read tsa's web page

Quote Originally Posted by Philbert View Post
    ...but if your flight is unexpectedly canceled and they uncheck your luggage...
    This would be a real concern to me if the connection was Chicago. Despite how it looks on the map, O'Hare airport is in the city of Chicago -- where mere possession of handguns is -- at the moment -- "illegal." Not sure what would happen if you took possession of your bag and then tried to re-check it.

(Northampton County)

Would you be able to check it with the TSA? I mean, call me old fashioned, but I'd really like to enjoy a vacation without spending all or part of it in prison...through no fault of my own.
    Last edited by US Militiaman; June 10th, 2010 at 12:03 PM.
    And don't think you're off the hook, voters, you're the ones who made this bed. Now you're the ones who are going to have to move over so a gay couple can sleep in it. Tomorrow you're all going to wake up in a brave new world, a world where the Constitution gets trampled by an army of terrorist clones, created in a stem-cell research lab run by homosexual doctors who sterilize their instruments over burning American flags. -- Stephen Colbert

Lightbulb Re: Checked firearm on airline question...

When you check your luggage, it often goes directly to the final destination which would mean that you don't have to recheck it. Layovers usually stink because you don't have access to your luggage, especially if you end up staying overnight.

If for some reason you have to recheck it, it will have the TSA paperwork locked inside, showing that you legally checked it at a prior destination. TSA will check, redo the paperwork, and lock it in your gun case and put it on the next plane.

I may be missing some information, but this is how it has worked every time my daughter has flown somewhere.

ETA: in retrospect, there was identifying information that, coupled with my online name gave away too much info about someone in my family. Best to remove it before it's totally plastered all over the net.
    Last edited by mingomom; June 10th, 2010 at 02:32 PM.

I fly all the time with checked pistols, several times through Chicago and I'm still 100% free.

1) Declare Firearm
    2) Ensure firearm is unloaded
    3) Ensure firearm is in a hard sided case
    4) Declare Firearm at check in
    5) Ensure firearm is unloaded and in a lockable hard sided case
    6) Ammo can be carried but must be in a fully closed container. The original box the ammo can in is fine.
    7) Refer to TSA website, the carrier's website, and don't worry about Chicago.
    8) Take pictures of Firearm, document serial numbers, make, model, and other identifying marks, condition etc...in case of theft or loss.

IMHO, baggage handling persons will steal just about everything but firearms...they don't want the hassle because of the heavy penalties involved and loss of a job where they can still lots of other stuff.
    Also, everything now is very heavily video taped/recorded in explicit detail.

CL

Edit: Lock the case that contains the firearm with a NON-APPROVED TSA LOCK. Use the Approved TSA LOCK on the outside of the checked bag.
    Last edited by customloaded; June 10th, 2010 at 12:40 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by mingomom View Post
    ... She's even been praised by a off-duty flight marshall (not sure of their exact title) for carrying and protecting herself. He was in line to check his gun (because he was off-duty) right behind her and they struck up a conversation.
    Interesting that air marshals cannot carry on a plane while off duty.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast