Pennsylvania Firearm Owners Association
    (Montgomery County)

Default Stoeger Cougar/Beretta Owners: Please Try This and Explain

First: Be sure your pistol is clear/unloaded/safe. Remember, THE GUN IS LOADED!

Then:
    Remove the magazine.
    Again, be sure there is no round in the chamber.
    Set the safety on.
    Rack the slide.
    If the hammer doesn't cock, try racking the slide a few more times.

I find, with my Stoeger Cougar that if I rack the slide several times, the hammer will end up fully cocked with the safety on.

Now, at this point, despite the safety being on, it has essentially what I'd describe as a "hair trigger". Just the slightest pressure drops the hammer. I'm hoping that the firing pin is blocked and the hammer's dropping safely, but I'm going to test this at the range. Still it seems odd that with the safety on, the hammer should cock at all. And if it does, why not every time. An anomaly?
    "I don't care what went wrong. I beat the snot out of it until it works" - Clint Smith

(Chester County)

Default Re: Stoeger Cougar/Beretta Owners: Please Try This and Explain

i dont really see a problem as long as the firing pin is blocked. im not familiar with those particular weapons but i know ive seen several guns that go fully cocked when you rack the slide as a part of normal functioning.

(Bucks County)

I tried this with my 9mm. It doesn't happen if I rack the slide and let it return to the forward position under the full power of the spring.

However, if I apply enough counter pressure, the slide will come to rest about 2mm short of its full forward position with the hammer cocked. If I apply just a little forward pressure, it will complete the motion and decock normally. Also, pulling the trigger just to the break point will cause the hammer to drop. If I hold it at that exact point, the slide will stay out of alignment until I release the trigger. However, if I just pull the trigger the whole way back in one motion, the hammer will drop and the slide will lock forward all in one motion.
    Almost a LIB .... ertarian

(Delaware County)

My Ruger P85 does something similar. Loaded or empty, doesn't matter - if the safety is on and the slide is racked, the hammer won't cock back, but if you pull the trigger after working the slide, it will pull the hammer and drop it. Not all the way back, usually, but it's scary as hell until you realize that the firing pin is blocked and the hammer has a block under it as well, when the safety is engaged.

Basically, things aren't lining up quite right after racking the slide. I've gotten myself into the habit of quickly disengaging then re-engaging the safety if I ever rack it.

(Montgomery County)

Quote Originally Posted by rikilii View Post
    I tried this with my 9mm. It doesn't happen if I rack the slide and let it return to the forward position under the full power of the spring.

However, if I apply enough counter pressure, the slide will come to rest about 2mm short of its full forward position with the hammer cocked. If I apply just a little forward pressure, it will complete the motion and decock normally. Also, pulling the trigger just to the break point will cause the hammer to drop. If I hold it at that exact point, the slide will stay out of alignment until I release the trigger. However, if I just pull the trigger the whole way back in one motion, the hammer will drop and the slide will lock forward all in one motion.
    ^THIS^

Same with my Cougar 9mm.

(Montgomery County)

Quote Originally Posted by rikilii View Post

Perfect. That's exactly what mine does. There is that one "limbo" position, where if you assist the slide, it can end up with the hammer cocked. Thanks for checking it out!
    "I don't care what went wrong. I beat the snot out of it until it works" - Clint Smith

(Bucks County)

Quote Originally Posted by marks View Post
    Perfect. That's exactly what mine does. There is that one "limbo" position, where if you assist the slide, it can end up with the hammer cocked. Thanks for checking it out!
    No problem. I will also test this issue with ammo next time at the range and let you know what I find out. Might be a while though, so if you get results before me, let us know.

In the meantime, the best thing to do is just make sure you release (or even push) the slide back into the forward position in one smooth motion when racking the slide, and if you nevertheless run into this issue while chambering a round, keep your finger away from the trigger, drop the magazine, and reclear the weapon.
    Almost a LIB .... ertarian