Pennsylvania Firearm Owners Association
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
    (Allegheny County)

Unhappy AK $$ ?? Fair Price for a WASR10?

I have the opportunity to purchase a WASR10 which comes with three 30rd mags, Tapco 6pos. folder stock (and matching furniture w/ tripple rails) and about 140rds of various ammo.

I offered the seller $400 for the rifle & mags; $40 for the folding stock/etc & the ammo at cost (say $5/20rds, I think there were 140rds-so $35)? $475 total...

He was seriously offended (beyond playing salesman) and said there's no way he'll take less than $600 for such.

Latrobe Army/Navy has WASRs for $419+tax. These come with three mags and a sling. I found the new prices for the stock/furniture online to be about $65. So, if brand new (as I see it - this is where I hope for help from you experts) I'm looking at $435 (w/ tax) for the rifle & mags new, $65 for the furniture and $35 for the ammo adds up to $535 for me - right?

The only complication is that we're friends and I didn't want to offend him. But, seems too late for that. Plus, this was sort of meant to be a "cheap pick up", so I definitely didn't want to spend more than I could have it NIB for...

Maybe I'm just looking for reassurance, but what do you guys think? I realize that one should pay for what they want, but this doesn't seem justifiable... I think I'm going to go buy an AR tomorrow to make myself feel better. ha

F*S=k

(York County)

Default Re: AK $$ ?? Fair Price for a WASR10?

I think you offered a fair price. I wouldn't pay $600+ for it either. I usually check the going rates on gunbroker, and $600 seems like it would be a little high for a new one, including ammo, ect. He will find out when he "really" tries to sell it.
    Last edited by tcc722; July 18th, 2010 at 12:56 AM.

(Allegheny County)

Yeah... that's what I'm thinking as well.

It just doesn't seem justifiable.
    F*S=k

(Monroe County)

That furniture is low grade plastic, and it's used. You can always buy the ammo in bulk.

Don't feel bad about it. Anyone who thinks they're going to make money or break even on a used gun is only kidding themselves. Unless it was a rare gun, or hard to find model why spend the extra money?

WASRs are a dime a dozen and you can walk out of a gun show spending $400 for a NIB wasr with 3 or 4 mags.

ETA: It's not like he's provided a service and did some performance work on the rifle. Furniture is furniture, and just because you like a certain set up doesn't mean when you try to sell it people are going to get a hard on over it.
    Last edited by jcabin; July 18th, 2010 at 01:29 AM.
    Quote Originally Posted by headcase View Post
    let them eventually bring the FBI to kill my wife and son over fucking chickens....

(Montgomery County)

Ha, he was probably one of the dummies that bought during the zero election scare and paid too much for it to begin with - and now he wants to get all his money back at your expense. He is the one that should feel bad about trying to rip off a buddy, not you.

There is nothing special about a wasr and there is absolutely nothing special about Tapco.

I think your offer was too high - but that’s just me.

No reason for you to feel bad about your offer at all.

i'd be offended if someone thought I was dumb enough to pay $600 for a wasr. Good guns, and i've owned a few but thats ridic.

(Allegheny County)

Question Re: AK $$ ?? Fair Price for a WASR10?

How would you break down those parts and go about making a last ditch counter-offer?

I'd also be incredibly appreciative if anyone would share their reasoning... as I might need to repeat it verbatim, since I'm not in the know about AKs.
    F*S=k

(Montgomery County)

Quote Originally Posted by ScaredOnce View Post
    How would you break down those parts and go about making a last ditch counter-offer?

I'd also be incredibly appreciative if anyone would share their reasoning... as I might need to repeat it verbatim, since I'm not in the know about AKs.
    That's easy.

A wasr can be bought brand new from AIM for $379.
    http://www.aimsurplus.com/product.as...ASR&groupid=11
    The Tapco crap aint worth shit (i'd tell him to keep it) and the 3 mags are pretty much standard with any new wasr you'd buy(Aim only has 2 but AK mags are like $15 each).

140 rounds of 7.62x39 $4 / bx = $28.

The gun is used - so i would not offer full retail for a used gun - my offer would be $325 - $375 max since you dont need to pay an ffl to do the transfer and pay shipping like you would with AIM.

So,
    used gun = $325 - $375 if you are feeling generous.
    1 extra mag = $15
    Ammo = $ 30 tops

So, that is $370 - $420

But like i said, i would only offer $350 - $375 because it would not be worth anything more to me.
    Last edited by Guns4Fun; July 18th, 2010 at 04:27 AM.

(Allegheny County)

Thumbs up Re: AK $$ ?? Fair Price for a WASR10?

Thank you! All!

Let you know tmrw how this goes...
    F*S=k

(Montgomery County)

Quote Originally Posted by ScaredOnce View Post
    Thank you! All!

Let you know tmrw how this goes...
    Good luck.

Just remember that depending on when he bought it the cost could have been very different - that might be why he thinks it is worth more.

If he bought after the election, he could have paid anywhere from $500 - $800 for it. If he bought it a year or two before that, it should not have cost him anymore than $329. That was the standard wasr price for a while - everywhere.

I bought mine a long time ago and it was $300 out the door.

So, keep that in mind.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast