Pennsylvania Firearm Owners Association
Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast
    (Philadelphia County)

Default Ruger 10/22 worth buying for SHTF and plinking

I have been looking at the Ruger 10/22 the last few weeks. Oddly enough when I went to pick up my shotgun today they had one slightly used with a nice scope and a harris bipod for like $170 IIRC, Is that a good price and how good is the .22 rifle caliber ??

I mean will it take someone down in 1 or 2 shots to the chest ? Or head shots only ?

How about the distance a .22 can travel out of a rifle ?

They are really nice looking rifles IMO, and IIRC they have 10 and 20 round mags right ?

It's also something I could have my son use in a couple years, he's only 4 and a half right now so I'm thinking when he's 8 or 9, not really sure how old a child must be to go to the range though.
    When ALL else fails...the AK won't !! Emotions...??? emotions are for people who CARE !!!

Default Re: Ruger 10/22 worth buying for SHTF and plinking

probably the best .22 on the market for the money..
    FJB

(Allegheny County)

Sounds like a good price to me. Here's a starting point for pricing reference: http://www.budsgunshop.com/catalog/p...ducts_id/70280

It wouldn't be my first choice for SHTF, but that depends on what your version of SHTF is. I'd say it's less than ideal for humans who are trying to put a hurting on you, but at the same time, I don't know anyone who would want half a dozen or more .22 cal holes pumped into them.
    An accurate .22 could come in very handy for providing food though, and many people argue that a .22 is the ideal SHTF gun for this reason.

I don't have enough experience with long range shooting to comment on your "distance" question.

10, 25, 50 rd mags (probably others) are readily available.

Everyone should have a Ruger 10/22. I don't - but I should.
    I called to check my ZIP CODE!....DY-NO-MITE!!!

(Monroe County)

If ever there were an ideal rifle for SHTF it would be the Ruger 10/22, i own 2 of them and i love them both.

The ideal Maximum range on .22 Rifle for small game is aboiut 75 yards to 100 yds.

$170 for that gun is very good kepping in mind that the Harris bipod is about $70+ so you are getting the gun and scope for about $100, i'd say get it.

Nymac

(Philadelphia County)

People shoot .22s out to 200yds but there is rather severe drop and wind influence at that distance. 100 yards isn't too bad, at <50 the .22 shines. In a SHTF 'lost in the wilderness" situation a .22 will keep you fed. It wouldn't be my first choice for a Mad Max situation but then again I'm not planning on battling mutants for gas anytime soon.

Above all else, a .22 is an excellent means to practice marksmanship for you and your family.

$170 for a 10/22 isn't too bad provided it is in good condition. A blued model should be close to $200, new. That said, I prefer Marlin 60s to Ruger 10/22s. They tend to be a better gun out of the box. I had a 10/22 and thought overall it was unimpressive. Ammo finicky, not very accurate, hated the mags. I also think a bolt gun is better to train kids with but of course, YMMV.

(Berks County)

Just paid $95 for a Marlin 795 at Cabelas brand new. Synthetic stock, sling swivels, and lined barrel. All of which do not come on the 10/22.

Out of the box It is supposedly rated at better than the 10/22 according to rimfirecentral.com.

2,000 rounds and the 795 in a 3" PVC pipe with end caps in my attic. I occasionally break it out and put a scope on it. Tight groups at 100 yards with a sand bag.
    Last edited by Zet70; June 10th, 2010 at 12:07 PM.

If your ideal of SHTF is being invaded by bunny rabbits than yes it is perfect.
    Or your looking for something to hunt small game with in a SHTF than yes.
    Otherwise buy it for the endless hours of fun you'll have plinking away.
    Btw just my opinion but I would recommend starting your son off with a bolt
    .22 or single shot.

(Monroe County)

I do not own one, but I have shot one. They are fairly accurate, pretty reliable, and cheap to feed. Magazines of different sizes are easily and readily available for the 10/22. I have even seen a Gatling (hand-cranked) conversion kit using a pair of them. Also, the price is definitely right, I would go for it.

As to SHTF, while I would not want to go head-to head using one, I would certainly trust my .22 to feed me and head-shot zombies and other nasties.
    ONE TO THE HEAD!!!!

(Lycoming County)

+1 on the Marlin 60 or 795, just my experiance. Had a 10/22 in the 80's, sold it and bought a 60 in '94 at Wally's for ~$80 on sale. Much more accurate and reliable. I've free floated the barrel, and pillared the action, and a little trigger work. Still with me...
    My Best, Walt

(Perry County)

A little "transparency" I really like Marlins (I own at least 7, including a 795). That said it is a toss up between the Ruger 10/22 and the Marlin 795 in my mind. Out of the box the Marlin is probably slightly more accurate on average, but neither has decent sights so that is a bit moot. Both need either a scope or Tech Sites (my preference). Then one can get better shooting out of the rifles.

The .22 lr is too weak for optimal self-defense. However, I believe they are optimal for learning to shoot a rifle well, and that is important to self-defense.

Why not get the Ruger, buy a couple of extra mags and 3 or 4 bulk packs of Fed'l ammo at Wal-Mart. Then sign up for the Appleseed shoot that is held every month just N. of Lancaster? There in two challenging days you will learn how to really shoot a rifle well. The .22 is perfect for this and then when you get the money you can buy and AR or AK and be ready when the Zombies, Blue Helmets, etc arrive.

As much as I love Marlins that 10/22 with a scope and Harris Bi-pod is a great deal.

Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast