Pennsylvania Firearm Owners Association
Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast
    (Philadelphia County)

Default Re: Ruger 10/22 worth buying for SHTF and plinking

Quote Originally Posted by Rundownfid View Post
    A little "transparency" I really like Marlins (I own at least 7, including a 795). That said it is a toss up between the Ruger 10/22 and the Marlin 795 in my mind. Out of the box the Marlin is probably slightly more accurate on average, but neither has decent sights so that is a bit moot. Both need either a scope or Tech Sites (my preference). Then one can get better shooting out of the rifles.

The .22 lr is too weak for optimal self-defense. However, I believe they are optimal for learning to shoot a rifle well, and that is important to self-defense.

Why not get the Ruger, buy a couple of extra mags and 3 or 4 bulk packs of Fed'l ammo at Wal-Mart. Then sign up for the Appleseed shoot that is held every month just N. of Lancaster? There in two challenging days you will learn how to really shoot a rifle well. The .22 is perfect for this and then when you get the money you can buy and AR or AK and be ready when the Zombies, Blue Helmets, etc arrive.

As much as I love Marlins that 10/22 with a scope and Harris Bi-pod is a great deal.

Actually I already have a couple AK's and AR and others lol, I had a Savage .22 lr left handed but it was only single shot so I sold it during the Obama-craze while I could get a really good price for it.

I sold it to fund a FAL and also with the intention of buying something like a Ruger 10/22 or a Marlin, someting with a magazine but I could also use it to shoot single shoot for my son.
    When ALL else fails...the AK won't !! Emotions...??? emotions are for people who CARE !!!

(Elk County)

A 10/22 is an excellent semi auto 22 rifle, among the best there is, but like all semi-autos with detatchable magazines, it is only as good as the mags feeding it. And a lot of the aftermarket high-cap mags for the 10/22 are little better than junk. My advice? Invest in some TI 25 rounders.

For foraging "SHTF" scenarios, it would be great.

For urban "SHTF" scenarios, it would be better than nothing, and provided you survived your first conflict you could probably upgrade with "battlefield pickups."

Noah
    Wisdom and knowledge shall be the stability of thy times.

(Luzerne County)

You may find a cheaper .22. But I do not think you will find another that has as many after markit parts as the 10/22.
    troll Free. It's all in your mind.

(Allegheny County)

Quote Originally Posted by PhilaShooter View Post
    I have been looking at the Ruger 10/22 the last few weeks. Oddly enough when I went to pick up my shotgun today they had one slightly used with a nice scope and a harris bipod for like $170 IIRC, Is that a good price and how good is the .22 rifle caliber ??

Good price,great gun.I'd buy it if I were you.As far as SHTF I'm guessing you will use it for foraging.If so yes a good choice.As far as a self defense situation it will be better than nothing.tom.
    N.R.A LIFE MEMBER GOA annual member

(Cumberland County)

Hell, even if you forget about S.hittingthe.F (hehe, that looks funny) it's still a great gun for plinking. PICK IT UP!
    Selling off a a sizeable Spyderco collection here

Go ahead and buy 2 as it will happen sooner or later. Everybody needs a target model and a fun gun.
    Bought a full dressed Chevy. Challenge style to shoot .22 long range games, then had to buy one to put on a lightweight barrel and stock.
    Have not tried the new more pricey mags but we have Hot Lips mags. that are from before the ban and still work fine.
    Courage is being scared to death--but saddling up any way. John Wayne

(Luzerne County)

Quote Originally Posted by phill View Post
    Go ahead and buy 2 as it will happen sooner or later. Everybody needs a target model and a fun gun.
    Bought a full dressed Chevy. Challenge style to shoot .22 long range games, then had to buy one to put on a lightweight barrel and stock.
    Have not tried the new more pricey mags but we have Hot Lips mags. that are from before the ban and still work fine.
    Know what yo mean. I have 5 in the safe. Just picked up a Charger.
    troll Free. It's all in your mind.

Quote Originally Posted by normanvin View Post
    Know what yo mean. I have 5 in the safe. Just picked up a Charger.
    Ah man now the cat is out of the bag. Just trying to breakin the new owner easy.
    As you say there is no limit to the possible numbers.
    Courage is being scared to death--but saddling up any way. John Wayne

(Washington County)

I love my 10/22. Best .22 semi rifle money can buy IMO. And I've seen a lot of the others in action at the range and at Appleseed. Got to love the aftermarket support too. Very easy to work on. The way my rifle is set-up might be geared more towards a SHTF gun since it fits inside a taller hiking back pack and can lay down some serious "tacticool" plinking

Tasco Silver Antler 3x9
    Bi-pod
    Butler Creek Synthetic Folding Stock (I Painted it)
    Butler Creek 25 rnd magazines
    Bell and Carlson Extended Mag Release
    Volquartsen Exact Edge Extractor
    Volquartsen Auto Bolt Release
    Buffer Technologies Bolt Buffer

I only shoot Federal 550 bulk package ammo. No failures to feed and maybe 1 in 2000 fail to fire. Sometimes when the trigger finger gets going I have failure to completely eject but not a huge deal. Stay away from Remington golden bullet bulk ammo. That golden coating leaves a mess.
    Last edited by JoshIronshaft; June 18th, 2010 at 01:14 PM.
    In America arms are free merchandise such that anyone who has the capital may make their houses into armories and their gardens into parks of artillery. - Ira Allen, 1796

(Washington County)

Also, I have personally fired at 200 yards. With no wind, I was experiencing about a 3 or 4 foot fall. I was still able to hit clay pidgeos sitting on the backstop once I compensated. I keep my rifle sighted for 25 yards. At 50 yards it is about an inch high and at 100 yards it is back on target. Those are estimates, not exact values. It's been awhile since I did some serious plinking. We sometimes go to the range near school when we need a break from class and play darts by printing out a dart board and putting it on the 50 yard backstop.
    In America arms are free merchandise such that anyone who has the capital may make their houses into armories and their gardens into parks of artillery. - Ira Allen, 1796

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast