Pennsylvania Firearm Owners Association
    (Montgomery County)

Default The Stoeger Cougar: 1st Trip to the Range/Report

First, let me say that I shoot regularly, but not with the goal of being an expert competition shooter. I'm looking to be the best I can be with self-defense/home defense in mind. I've been a handgun owner for about 7 or 8 months. Far from where I want to be, but that gives me a reason to keep practicing. I just ask that you keep that in mind when reading my absolutely subjective review, and when viewing my targets.

I took the Stoegar Cougar (.45 ACP) to the range for the first time tonight. Fired 100 rounds through it. One box of 50 Sellier & Bellot, and one box of 50 Blazer (real cheap). No issues of any kind. 1st through 100th round fired fine. The pistol feels good in the hand. I have big hands, and my grip feels natural on it. No issues there. The sights remind me of those on my CZ-75, which I like. The recoil isn't much more significant than that of my Glock 19, which is great. The trigger feels great. I'm still adapting to my Glock, but it's definitely not a Glock-like trigger. It's not as smooth, and doesn't have as short a reset as my SIG P229 Elite, but then it's not designed with SIG's SRT. But, it feels good. In terms of accuracy, see the pics below. Keep in mind that I shoot regularly, but always encounter a learning curve when moving to a new pistol.

At 7 yards:

At 10 yards:

At 15 yards:
    "I don't care what went wrong. I beat the snot out of it until it works" - Clint Smith

(Cumberland County)

Default Re: The Stoeger Cougar: 1st Trip to the Range/Report

Quote Originally Posted by marks View Post
    First, let me say that I shoot regularly, but not with the goal of being an expert competition shooter. I'm looking to be the best I can be with self-defense/home defense in mind. I've been a handgun owner for about 7 or 8 months. Far from where I want to be, but that gives me a reason to keep practicing. I just ask that you keep that in mind when reading my absolutely subjective review, and when viewing my targets.

I took the Stoegar Cougar (.45 ACP) to the range for the first time tonight. Fired 100 rounds through it. One box of 50 Sellier & Bellot, and one box of 50 Blazer (real cheap). No issues of any kind. 1st through 100th round fired fine. The pistol feels good in the hand. I have big hands, and my grip feels natural on it. No issues there. The sights remind me of those on my CZ-75, which I like. The recoil isn't much more significant than that of my Glock 19, which is great. The trigger feels great. I'm still adapting to my Glock, but it's definitely not a Glock-like trigger. It's not as smooth, and doesn't have as short a reset as my SIG P229 Elite, but then it's not designed with SIG's SRT. But, it feels good. In terms of accuracy, see the pics below. Keep in mind that I shoot regularly, but always encounter a learning curve when moving to a new pistol.

At 7 yards:

At 10 yards:

At 15 yards:
    Looks pretty damn good to me. Especially if those are 5 inch targets, which I assume they are.
    Selling off a a sizeable Spyderco collection here

(Montgomery County)

Default Re: The Stoeger Cougar: 1st Trip to the Range/Report

Quote Originally Posted by rwb1500 View Post
    Looks pretty damn good to me. Especially if those are 5 inch targets, which I assume they are.
    Yes, they are. Thanks!
    "I don't care what went wrong. I beat the snot out of it until it works" - Clint Smith

(Monroe County)

Thumbs up Re: The Stoeger Cougar: 1st Trip to the Range/Report

good deal, keep practicing and get acquainted with that new gun and you'll have everything in the bull in no time.