Pennsylvania Firearm Owners Association

Thread: Marlin 1895GBL

Hybrid View

(Butler County)

Default Marlin 1895GBL

Well while I am at it, guess I will post pics of my other new rifle. Marlin 1895GBL upgraded with the XS Sights rails and sights along with the Wild West trigger and bear proof extractor. I absolutely love this rifle.

Default Re: Marlin 1895GBL

Only 6 months late, but nice gun you got there Cyclops!

I'm currently looking to find one of these now. How are you liking it?

(Butler County)

Thanks Mabuz! I love this gun. I really enjoy shooting it and it is extremely accurate with the Hornady Leverevolution.

These are near impossible to find since Cerebus shut down the Marlin plant in CT and moved manufacturing to the Remington plant in Ilion, NY. The CT guns are now sought after and I have read there are quality concerns with some of the guns coming out of Ilion. The Marlin Owners forum is a wealth of info and might lead you to find a CT gun that some dealer has somewhere.

If you run across one, the barrel should be stamped JM (John Marlin) if it is a CT gun. If it is stamped REP (Remington Explosion Proofed) then it is a Ilion gun.
    Last edited by cyclops24; December 30th, 2010 at 09:39 PM.

I love these rifles, and with the recent switch to "Remington", I need to find me a real Marlin and snatch it.....Great rifle to the OP.
    Jules

Quote Originally Posted by cyclops24 View Post
    If you run across one, the barrel should be stamped JM (John Marlin) if it is a CT gun. If it is stamped REP (Remington Explosion Proofed) then it is a Ilion gun.
    Thanks for that bit of info, I'll keep it in mind if I run across one.

I too have heard about some of the quality issues on the newer ones made in Ilion. My plan was to thoroughly check any of them out in person, just in case. I've been told that the newer ones are fine, as long as you get a well built one, meaning you have to look them over very thoroughly...check the action, fitment, etc...

I guess some of them have been found with filler putty slathered on to try and hide gaps in the stocks, screws have been loose and/or missing. I wonder what the heck's going on with Marlin? I guess the Ilion plant just isn't used to building these guns?

Either way, I think I'll keep looking for the JM stamped barrel, thanks again.

I just joined the club gentlemen, got my 1895 GBL today and am very proud of it!! I am a littled worried now that I have learned about the possibility of a quality issue. I have looked it over and gone through it, everything seems ok. I did notice the action is slightly tight but not bad,I figure its prob just new.What do you guys think? I already ordered my XS Lever rail with sights, Leather cartridge carrier, buffalo loop leather and picked up two boxes of Lever-revolution. I will zero on thursday and hopefully shoot one of our Texas Russian boars this weekend. It will be my first ever 45-70 harvest.

What do you guys think of the wild west guns gear Bear proof & trigger ?

any info would be greatly appreciated.

(Butler County)

Congratulations! You will really love this rifle. I am an AR type guy and this is one of my favorites. I installed both the Wild West exteactor and trigger. The trigger is night and day difference and VERY easy to install. I highly recommend both parts.

I know there are concerns about Remmy now producing the gun. But one thing I have learned is you can't take everything on the net as being true. So enjoy your rifle and shoot the heck out of it.