Pennsylvania Firearm Owners Association
    (Philadelphia County)

Default Philadelphia County Carry Permit Difficulty and Best Times to Go

I have all my paper work in order and wanted to go over to Spring Garden St sometime this week. Am I just wasting my time and money only to be denied? I live in Philadelphia county so that is where I have to go. I have references that I have known over 3 years and I have never been convicted of any crime. Also, what is, from your expieriences, a good time to go there. I was thinking first thing in the morning 9AM. I work right on 11th and market so I can go whenever I please. Thanks in advance, Joe.

(Philadelphia County)

Default Re: Philadelphia County Carry Permit Difficulty and Best Times to Go

There really is no good time to go over there. Early in the morning, and on a Monday or Tuesday has been the best experiences for most that I know.

JUSTITIA ET VIRTUS

(Philadelphia County)

I will try tomorrow morning then. Since you where an excop you may know more, you may not, but how strict are they with issuing the license? I have a number of reasons I would like to have a permit, self defense being the most prominent. I have heard stories about how hard it is to obtain but I have a feeling that is just hear-say.

(Bucks County)

Quote Originally Posted by WhiteSS View Post
    I will try tomorrow morning then. Since you where an excop you may know more, you may not, but how strict are they with issuing the license? I have a number of reasons I would like to have a permit, self defense being the most prominent. I have heard stories about how hard it is to obtain but I have a feeling that is just hear-say.
    Short answer: Philly is Shall Issue, like the rest of the state. If you have no disqualifying background, you will get your CCW. Many people on this board have Philadelphia CCW.

Longer answer: it's a hassle, what with at least two lengthy trips there during work hours, and it takes a full 3 months. But be patient and it will happen. Like any other governmental office, you're always better off being there early before people stack up ahead of you on line.

(Philadelphia County)

Why did you have to go multiple times?

(Philadelphia County)

I don't really think they are that much more difficult in the screening, but they are more difficult in the process. Be prepared to be interviewed, and your references to be contacted. They will also use all of the alloted time under the law. They are more overwhelmed than difficult, both work wise and politically. They are good people who work there.

JUSTITIA ET VIRTUS

(Bucks County)

Quote Originally Posted by WhiteSS View Post
    Why did you have to go multiple times?
    You can download the application, so that saves a trip, but then you go: once to get interviewed in depth and to submit all the paperwork, and once again (when approved) to get fingerprinted and picture taken, etc to create the ID itself.

Each trip = between 8:30 and 2 on a workday, in an area with somewhat marginal public parking, and each trip is a decent wait of an hour or more.

(Bucks County)

Quote Originally Posted by ExCopInPhilly View Post
    Be prepared to be interviewed,
    ...and be prepared for traps. They ask a lot of stuff irrelevant (by statute) to the application, and if you make any false statement, they use that to reject your application.

PA statute rejects CCW application only if you're convicted of a crime eligible for a 1-year sentence. But Philly asks "have you EVER been arrested -- for anything?" A lot of people get arrested for some summary offense and get it expunged, thus feel secure answering "no." But they'll find out and reject your application.

(Philadelphia County)

Thanks for the tip. Its a good thing I work so close to the office. I am going to try and go tommorrow but I won't be able to go until lunch time which sucks. If its too bad I'll walk back early Wednesday morning. The only thing I have left to get it the little photo of myself.