Pennsylvania Firearm Owners Association
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Default WTB: sks or ak 47 7.62x39

I'm looking to buy my first firearm, I actually live in Niagara Falls, NY.

It's been recommended to me several times to get a rifle such as an sks or ak 47 as quick as possible, while I still can.

I've emailed almost all the FFL dealers in my area, and the only ones that responded said only transfer sporting rifles, the others haven't responded.

I stumbled upon this forum, and I live close enough to PA where I could drive down to pick up a rifle in person.

So I'm just looking for modestly priced sks or ak 47 that is legal and in excellent condition, and I'm looking to keep it under about $550.

I'll drive to anywhere in Northwest PA.

Thanks!

Default Re: WTB: sks or ak 47 7.62x39

If you are talking about driving from NY to PA for a FTF transaction...that wouldn't get illegal seeing how you are not a resident of PA. You could have the SKS or AK shipped to your FFL dealer and go through the background check...and that would be legal.

I would also check with NY laws...I know a few people in NY and they tell me that there is some work involved to get semi auto rifles.
    Last edited by aubie515; October 16th, 2006 at 12:13 PM. Reason: mispelled...hanging out with drak too much

ok thanks, I didn't know that there would be a problem doing that.

(Philadelphia County)

Quote Originally Posted by Bomber View Post
    It's been recommended to me several times to get a rifle such as an sks or ak 47 as quick as possible, while I still can.

In addition to the fact that FTF isn't legal across state lines, are SKSs/AKs even legal in NY? I'm fairly sure they have an assault-weapon ban. I admit I'm not intimately familiar with New York law but since you were not aware that FTF across state lines, I'm going to assume you are even less aware of NY's gun laws. You need to do some more research before you accidentally get yourself in trouble I think.
    Dan P, Founder & President, Pennsylvania Firearm Owners Association
    Purchase a Forum SubscriptionBuy some PAFOA MerchandiseHelp PAFOA's Search Engine Ranking

(Westmoreland County)

I believe in NY they have to get neutered guns. 10 rd max, etc...

you can have any preban gun in NY State
    and new guns have to have 10 round mags or less
    no bayo lugs
    thats about it
    but as far as NEW YORK CITY goes
    your screwed

(Huntingdon County)

Also, if a guy like Clinton gets in office again they will pass another type of assault ban and even though you bought legally through a dealer they will make it illegal to posess one.

It, even though the assault weapon ban expired, is illegal now per the ATF to own certain types of guns bought legally, unless you purchased a "stamp" to own the gun for $200 and allow the ATF into your home to do periodic searches.

Also, they only allowed this "grandfather" clause for 5 years and it's too late now to comply with the law if you didn't get notified. The law states the ATF will notify all registered owners (and that didn't happen, ask me how I know this), but now any posessor of those certain types of firearms is a criminal.

O yea, when I inquired in this forum about this, I was laughed right off the forum. Told I should have known and such. So beware of reading "grandfathered" language as anything other than the above. See my posts on- http://www.pafoa.org/forum/firearms-...k-34-nice.html
    Last edited by enviroman22; October 26th, 2006 at 01:22 AM.

People didn't laugh at you...they were scared of you for wanting to buy every firearm in the classified section. You will remain on my "do not sell" list due to your behavior on this forum.

(Montgomery County)

"Also, if a guy like Clinton gets in office again they will pass another type of assault ban and even though you bought legally through a dealer they will make it illegal to posess one."

Enviroman, this is the silliest crap i've heard in a long time.
    the AW ban is OVER. period. Even if they manage to make another AW ban, they cannot make it illegal to possess what you already own, this is illeagl under the constitution, and would represent an illegal taking of property.

its not illegal now to possess anything that was legal during the ban, or stuff that WAS illegal during the ban, LEO marked or not, the ban is OVER.

"It, even though the assault weapon ban expired, is illegal now per the ATF to own certain types of guns bought legally, unless you purchased a "stamp" to own the gun for $200 and allow the ATF into your home to do periodic searches. "

the weapons you speak of were the Streetsweeper and Striker 12 shotguns that were reclassified as Destructive devices after the ban started.
    Registration to keep the shotguns was mandatory, and FREE, not $200 , there was a 5 year amnesty that is now expired.

even during that time, already registered devices were the ONLY ones that you could purchase, and those transferred with a $200 transfer tax.

grandfathering is NOT the same as an amnesty, you need to learn the difference.

the amnesty for registration was not only announced in every major, and minor gun magazine out there, but the attempt was made to contact all owners that could be found.
    Any one of those shotguns that was unregistered is now contraband, and cannot be registered(the only damn thing you got right), so dont get caught with them if you have an unregistered one.

the ATF does NOT have the right to enter your house at any time, they still need a WARRANT for a search, owning NFA firearms gives up no 4th amendment rights against illegal search and seizure at all.

I've owned NFA firearms for over 10 years, and not a single time has there been so much as any contact with ATF, unless I called them about a pending transfer, much less a periodic search of my home.

learn about what you speak, and stop with the intarwebs rumors that get perpetuated along as fact.
    Sheesh, theres a difference between n00b and "willfully ignorant", and I go so far as to say that you are "militantly ignorant", for you ARE ignorant, and appear willing to fight to stay that way.

sit back and learn pal, thats the best way to move along.
    "Oderint Dum Metuant" - BMFH

"Tact is for people not witty enough to use sarcasm"

Note: any whingeing crazy that hits my PM inbox will be deleted without reply

(Huntingdon County)

Bullcrap.

I owned a Striker-12 legally that I bought directly from the manufacturer in 1993. In 1994 the Assault weapon ban took effect, and subsequently the ATF made all Street Sweepers and Striker-12 weapons illegal to own unless a $200 stamp was purchased and searches of the home allowed at any time.

The law listed on http://www.fulton-armory.com/ATF--Ch...er_13_2004.htm states:
    NATIONAL FIREARMS ACT

All provisions of the National Firearms Act relating to registration and transfer of machineguns, short barreled rifles, weapons made from rifles, short barreled shotguns, weapons made from shotguns, any other weapons as defined in Title 26 U.S.C. section 5845(e), silencers, and destructive devices still apply.

Registered silencers can now be attached to semiautomatic rifles and pistols without creating a prohibited semiautomatic assault weapon.

USAS-12 and Striker12/Streetsweeper shotguns are still classified as destructive devices under ATF Rulings 94-1 and 94-2 and must be possessed and transferred in accordance with the NFA.

EFFECT ON STATE LAW

Expiration of the Federal law will not change any provisions of State law or local ordinances. Questions concerning State assault weapons restrictions should be referred to State and local authorities.

And on http://www.titleii.com/BardwellOLD/atfruling.2001-1.txt :

18 U.S.C. 921(a)(4): DESTRUCTIVE DEVICE
    26 U.S.C. 5845(f)(2): DESTRUCTIVE DEVICE (Nonsporting shotgun
    having a bore of more than one-half inch in diameter)

The registration period for the USAS-12, Striker-12, and
    Streetsweeper shotguns will close on May 1, 2001.

ATF Rul. 2001-1

Pursuant to ATF Rulings 94-1 (ATF Q. B. 1994-1, 22) and 94-2
    (ATF Q. B. 1994-1, 24), the Bureau of Alcohol, Tobacco and Firearms
    (ATF) classified the USAS-12, Striker 12, and Streetsweeper
    shotguns as destructive devices under the National Firearms Act
    (NFA), 26 U.S.C. Chapter 53. The NFA requires that certain
    "firearms" be registered and imposes taxes on their making and
    transfer. The term "firearm" is defined in section 5845 to include
    "destructive devices." The term "destructive device" is defined in
    section 5845(f)(2) as follows:

[T]he term 'destructive device' means . . . (2) any type of
    weapon by whatever name known which will, or which may be
    readily converted to, expel a projectile by the action of an
    explosive or other propellant, the barrel or barrels of which
    have a bore of more than one-half inch in diameter, except a
    shotgun or shotgun shell which the Secretary finds is
    generally recognized as particularly suitable for sporting
    purposes; . . .

The USAS-12, Striker 12, and Streetsweeper shotguns were
    classified as destructive devices pursuant to section 5845(f)
    because they are shotguns with a bore of more than one-half inch in
    diameter which are not generally recognized as particularly
    suitable for sporting purposes.

Pursuant to 26 U.S.C. 7805(b), ATF. Ruls. 94-1 and 94-2 were
    issued prospectively with respect to the making, transfer, and
    special (occupational) taxes imposed by the NFA. Thus, although
    the classification of the three shotguns as NFA weapons was
    retroactive, the prospective application of the tax provisions
    allowed registration without payment of tax. ATF has contacted all
    purchasers of record of the shotguns to advise them of the
    classification of the weapons as destructive devices and that the
    weapons must be registered. ATF has registered approximately 8,200
    of these weapons to date.

Held, the registration period for the USAS-12, Striker-12, and
    Streetsweeper shotguns will close on May 1, 2001. No further
    registrations will be accepted after that date. Persons in
    possession of unregistered NFA firearms are subject to all
    applicable penalties under 26 U.S.C. Chapter 53.

NOW TO THE BUSINESS AT HAND: The ATF never notified me, a legally registered owner of this change. It is too late for me to register it subject to grandfathered language. I would have to get my Sheriff's department to sign and still pay $200-300 if they saw fit for me to have it. YOU stand corrected.

Please show me where I am wrong. I think not only am I correct, but when I asked in this forum for help, I was ridiculed severely for "not knowing the law". I owned the weapon legally, and then did NOT own the weapon legally. I changed nothing, the law changed. Which was what I wrote. The law can change your legally owned weapon to an illegally owned one. With no change on your part or notification of the change. I speak the truth and stand by it.
    Last edited by enviroman22; November 7th, 2006 at 01:28 AM.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast