Pennsylvania Firearm Owners Association

Default is the browning citori worth it?

i was looking for an over and under for all around use. a guy i know has a browning citori grade 1 hunter manufactured in 1988. it is in excelent condition and hardly ever used. can anyone tell me about this gun? quality what the going price is for it. he wants 800 for it. should i buy it from him? thanks guys.

(Lancaster County)

Default Re: is the browning citori worth it?

Absolutely. That's one of the sweetest swinging shotguns ever made (sub $2000), and for that price it's a steal.
    "You can't stop insane people from doing insane things by passing insane laws--that's insane!" -- Penn Jillette

"To my mind it is wholly irresponsible to go into the world incapable of preventing violence, injury, crime, and death. How feeble is the mindset to accept defenselessness. How unnatural. How cheap. How cowardly. How pathetic." -- Ted Nugent

$800 is a fair price pending on it's condition. All Browning are good and the Citori is one of the better. Just make sure it fits you. Hold it at the ready and snap it to your shoulder. Try it a few times to make sure it fits. If it comes up clean and drops right in, it's good. If not, don't get it.

(Delaware County)

You would be getting a nice gun at a fair price. I have 3 Citoris'. 2 sporting models and I just bought a Citori White Lightning grade 1 field 28ga. for upland bird hunting and casual skeet shooting.

For hunting and casual clay shooting, I have no doubt you will enjoy the Citori. Field models have little shorter LOP which should fit you , if your the average Joe in height and weight. I'm 5' 9" and 190lbs. Most field gun dimensions fit me pretty well.

If you take care of a Browning, you'll shoot it for a lifetime.
    I love the smell of gunpowder in the morning.[

R.I.P......Murphy.

I have a 20 Ga Lightening & it's one of my favorite shotguns for upland shooting, (Right behind my 16 Ga Ugie.) The price sounds reasonable, if it's in good condition. I paid around $800 for mine new, but that was way back in the last century.
    "It's hard to imagine a more stupid or more dangerous way of making decisions than by putting those decisions in the hands of people who pay no price for being wrong."
    Thomas Sowell

(Venango County)

Does it have removable choke tubes? This would be a factor at this price point in my opinion. I think that is a fair price for an excellent shotgun. If you are just looking for a gun that will get maybe 100 shells through it a year, one of the cheap $400-$600 new guns like Remingtons, CZ's, and Savages would fit the bill as well. But if you want to put thousands of rounds through the gun a year like a skeet shooter, this Browning will still be ticking decades after those cheaper guns have died.

At least around here, the Citori is probably the most common gun on the skeet field.

(Bucks County)

i have a late 80s citori grade 1 skeet and its swings nice, has the recoil of a 20 gauge also. paid 800 for it with a case from a friend. should be worth 800-1000. you wont regret it.