Pennsylvania Firearm Owners Association
Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast
    (Montgomery County)

Default Re: I'm in "Most Pistol for the Money" Mode: Bought a Stoeger Cougar in .45 ACP

Quote Originally Posted by andrewjs18 View Post
    I was unaware of the prices on the Stoeger..hell, the best pistol for the money to me is a glock or a CZ.
    Agreed, especially with respect to the CZ. The 75B was my first pistol, and I thought I made a good choice when I only had that one. Now, though far from being full of experience, I've had 6 pistols, and if I had to have just one, I'd still choose the CZ.
    "I don't care what went wrong. I beat the snot out of it until it works" - Clint Smith

Default Re: I'm in "Most Pistol for the Money" Mode: Bought a Stoeger Cougar in .45 ACP

Stopped by Tanners on the way home and they had 3 different color combo Cougars lined up in the show case:
    Black,
    mostly black with silver barrel
    and all silver with wood grips.

The cheapest $360 the most expensive $440.

I like Glocks to, but slightly used ones are around $400 and don't come with a warranty. Think of the Stoeger as a Beretta at little over half price.

(Montgomery County)

Quote Originally Posted by group17 View Post
    Stopped by Tanners on the way home and they had 3 different color combo Cougars lined up in the show case:
    Black,
    mostly black with silver barrel
    and all silver with wood grips.

The cheapest $360 the most expensive $440.

I like Glocks to, but slightly used ones are around $400 and don't come with a warranty. Think of the Stoeger as a Beretta at little over half price.
    I took it out again tonight, and am very impressed. Of course, I can't say how it'll hold up over the long term, but I have no reason to believe it's anything but exactly what you said: " . . . a Beretta at little over half price". I couldn't resist ordering a set of English Walnut grips ($43) for it. They won't make me shoot any better, but hopefully, it'll look that much better, and still come in under $500 total.

http://www.grips4u.net/images/Berett...ar%20large.jpg
    "I don't care what went wrong. I beat the snot out of it until it works" - Clint Smith

(Bucks County)

Quote Originally Posted by marks View Post
    I took it out again tonight, and am very impressed. Of course, I can't say how it'll hold up over the long term, but I have no reason to believe it's anything but exactly what you said: " . . . a Beretta at little over half price". I couldn't resist ordering a set of English Walnut grips ($43) for it. They won't make me shoot any better, but hopefully, it'll look that much better, and still come in under $500 total.

http://www.grips4u.net/images/Berett...ar%20large.jpg
    Did you test out that thing we were talking about in the other thread?
    Almost a LIB .... ertarian

(Montgomery County)

Quote Originally Posted by rikilii View Post
    No, I didn't remember. But, I'll be at the range again on Saturday, and will try it then.

I don't have a lot of time in service with the Stoeger but I do with Beretta 92/96 series. I have one that is nearly 20 years old still shooting great as new gun no problems ever. The Stoeger is design under Beretta's specs and they say that the Cougar/PX4 design is there strongest pistol yet with improved reliability. I would agree with maybe strongest design yet but the Cougar/Stoeger design has not impressed me that its a reliable as the 92/96 series. The accuracy seems the same the improvement is that its more compact. About the same size as my G19/G23.

If you like Beretta or just want a proven self defense pistol Stoeger is a great buy I really want to buy the 9mm too but can't find a reason for it. I have 3 9mms.

(Montgomery County)

I couldn't resist ordering a set of English Walnut grips ($43) for it. ]
    Nice! I've been looking at a few wood grips from Hogue, but really like these as well.

You may already know this, but when searching for accessories you have to search by "Beretta Cougar" or "Beretta 8045". If you use "Stoeger" you'll find virtually nothing.

(Montgomery County)

Quote Originally Posted by Devrbd View Post
    Nice! I've been looking at a few wood grips from Hogue, but really like these as well.

You may already know this, but when searching for accessories you have to search by "Beretta Cougar" or "Beretta 8045". If you use "Stoeger" you'll find virtually nothing.
    Thanks! And yes, very good point (re: the search keywords). You probably can't go wrong with Hogue. I'll report back on these when I get them.

(Montgomery County)

Quote Originally Posted by rikilii View Post
    No, I didn't remember. But, I'll be at the range again on Saturday, and will try it then.
    I found that I simply can't reproduce it with a round (or rounds) in the magazine. Once the magazine was loaded, I racked the slide as I would normally (in this case, to test it, with the safety on). Hammer did not cock, safety remained on.

(Warren County)

Just want to throw my name into the hat, too. I bought the 8040 in March, it's my first 40 S&W and I bought it on impulse because it was $350 out the door. I absolutely love it so far and it's a great gun for the price. I don't carry it day-to-day because it's heavy, but I do take it with me when I'm in the woods.

It's deadly accurate with 180 grain ammo, both factory or hand loads. I noticed that 165 grain isn't shooting as accurately so I'm still working out a recipe for that, but for plinking it's more than acceptable.

I was set on ordering wood grips as shown above but I'm going to wait to see if any rubber w/finger grooves come up for it.

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast