Pennsylvania Firearm Owners Association
Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast
    (Bucks County)

Default Re: I'm in "Most Pistol for the Money" Mode: Bought a Stoeger Cougar in .45 ACP

Quote Originally Posted by andrewjs18 View Post
    not all of their guns are expensive...they're damn excellent pistols, too.
    I'm sure they're wonderful, but the cheapest one on there MSRP's for $683. Any idea what the street price is for a basic 9mm?
    Almost a LIB .... ertarian

Default Re: I'm in "Most Pistol for the Money" Mode: Bought a Stoeger Cougar in .45 ACP

When I bought my S8040 look a like I was looking for it in 9mm but they were sold out, I have 5 40 cals now I have 6 but I wanted the 9mm because the ammo is cheaper and I have mounds of brass in 9mm. I heard rumors that they were going to make a S8045 I couldn't wait and bought a Px4 in 45acp. I recently saw a B8045 in a gun show for $800.

The Stoeger is a good deal you get the near same quality of the Beretta for 1/3 or 1/2 the price. I saw one guy buy a 9mm and 40 cal, I thought about it but felt why I already have 6 Berettas, I still wish I would have waited on S8009.

My 8040 is a little finicky on what ammo it shoots as far as Berettas are concerned but as long as its factory spec it seems to not have any problems. It won't operate with ammo/reloads under 900fps just like my G23. My 92/96s will digest anything that chambers. Its as accurate as my 96s.

I've heard some good things about the 8045 of how easy it is to shoot well and how it tames the 45acp. Some bought the 8045 for nearly $700+ so at $445 that's a real good deal. We are waiting for your Range results.

By the way those used $500 Sig 220 are rare and in between even used they are $600 guns around here. When I was looking at the S8009, a salesman showed me a SS Sig 229/26 with pearl handle grips for $1100. I bought the 8040 for $389.

(Montgomery County)

There's no doubt that now, being seriously bitten by the "bug", I need to do more looking at used pistols. In fact, I need to do more looking, and less buying - period.
    "I don't care what went wrong. I beat the snot out of it until it works" - Clint Smith

(Cumberland County)

Quote Originally Posted by marks View Post
    There's no doubt that now, being seriously bitten by the "bug", I need to do more looking at used pistols. In fact, I need to do more looking, and less buying - period.
    It helps. I've said it before, I'll say it again, guns are just like cars, the instant they leave the lot they lose a lot of value. The only reasons to buy a new gun (or car) are: You can't wait to have the newest coolest thing... You have way to much spare cash... Or you're in desperate need of something to fill a specific role and its just easier to pay more and get it now. I'm thinking about doing it tommorow. Dropping $500 on a S&W snubbie just because I want it now, even though I could find a much cheaper one if I had some damn patience. Its a disease.
    Selling off a a sizeable Spyderco collection here

(Montgomery County)

Quote Originally Posted by rwb1500 View Post
    It helps. I've said it before, I'll say it again, guns are just like cars, the instant they leave the lot they lose a lot of value. The only reasons to buy a new gun (or car) are: You can't wait to have the newest coolest thing... You have way to much spare cash... Or you're in desperate need of something to fill a specific role and its just easier to pay more and get it now. I'm thinking about doing it tommorow. Dropping $500 on a S&W snubbie just because I want it now, even though I could find a much cheaper one if I had some damn patience. Its a disease.
    Patience? Yeah, that's my problem as well. ;(
    "I don't care what went wrong. I beat the snot out of it until it works" - Clint Smith

Quote Originally Posted by rwb1500 View Post

I don't agree with that statement. I believe that Guns go up in value; cars do go down in value (unless its a very special car). Most things go down in value right after you buy them (not homes) now guns take a while but they go up in value. I've left a invoice for my sons of what I paid for each gun, its ser# and dop for example I paid $250+ for my scoped Mini-14 you can't touch one used for under $350 new I think they are $400 no scope.
    My 686 S&W I bought used for $289 in perfect condition you can't buy one used now under $400, Colt king Cobra new I paid $325 can't be bought used for $400-$450, 70 series Colt Commander new I bought it for $340+ it price used might be $400 - $700 pending buyer. I could go on and on but the point you make is valid used guns are a bargain I recently couldn't turn down a deal on a Beretta 96 centurion for $380 in pretty good condition extra mag but no box. I find that the off brand guns are really good value used I bought a 10 shot EAA 79 45acp for $189 at a pawn shop no mag, and almost bought a Ruger Sf9 or whatever the next to last upgrade was in 9mm for $289 (didn't like the way it ejects mag), I don't consider Ruger off brand, but there was a 9mm 24/7 sub compact they only wanted $237 for I pasted on that too, I couldn't tell if it was the one with upgraded trigger or not I hear that 1st trigger sucked baddly. I own a 40 cal 24/7 with the better trigger and mags.

Take a $1500 wedding diamond ring (when marriage is done) to the pawn shop or gold merchant and see what you get maybe $250 now that's a bad investment.

You didn't do bad buying that S8045 new.
    Last edited by Neko456; June 9th, 2010 at 12:03 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by andrewjs18 View Post
    don't forget to check out STI

http://www.stiguns.com/guns/guns.php
    "Most Pistol for the Money" Stoeger Cougar in .45 ACP in the $400+ range and you want him to check out double stack pistols in the $1000-2000 range at stiguns? The cheapest auto pistol on the site was $600+.
    I own a Stoeger 8000 9mm and bet the 45 is just as nice. Best pistol for the money
    I own. It cost me $340 NIB.

I have had great luck with Stoeger shotguns. I am interested how the Stoeger Cougar in .45 ACP will shoot.
    I always stressed to my son"one shot one kill that was all that is needed". When He came home from Marine Corp Boot camp He was telling me about the Marines stressing "ONE SHOT ONE KILL" He looks at me and the light bulb went on Dad was now a whole lot smarter than he was 13 weeks ago.

(Montgomery County)

I really like it. It's mostly, if not all absolutely subjective, but for me (being far from an expert), I was able to do reasonably well with it "out of the box". Generally, I don't find that to be the case. Forgive the amateurish review/range report, but FWIW, here it is:

http://forum.pafoa.org/pistols-41/10...ge-report.html

(Delaware County)

Quote Originally Posted by group17 View Post
    "Most Pistol for the Money" Stoeger Cougar in .45 ACP in the $400+ range and you want him to check out double stack pistols in the $1000-2000 range at stiguns? The cheapest auto pistol on the site was $600+.
    I own a Stoeger 8000 9mm and bet the 45 is just as nice. Best pistol for the money
    I own. It cost me $340 NIB.
    I was unaware of the prices on the Stoeger..hell, the best pistol for the money to me is a glock or a CZ.
    Peace, Prosperity, and Liberty

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast