Pennsylvania Firearm Owners Association
    (Lancaster County)

Default Anyone to Cerakote an action So Cen PA or MD?

I am looking for someone in South Central PA/Central MD who can cerakote an action. I have no problem driving 100-150 miles from Gettysburg if it saves me shipping a firearm. Thanks

Default Re: Anyone to Cerakote an action So Cen PA or MD?

Why not do it yourself? All you need is an oven, air brush and Cerakote and you are in business. What finish does your action currently have? SS is tougher to work with since you will need to blast away the old finish.

I haven't used Cerakote, but I use KG Gunkote and Norrell's Moly Resin and both are thermal cured finishes.

(Lancaster County)

I have an airbrush and have done several projects with Duracoat with good success. I wanted to have the bbl action cerakoted and if I used the oven in our kitchen, my wife would kill me. I have also only done stocks and a few 10/22s that I could take apart. I dont have the tools or the know how to break down and remove the bbl on my R700. I was hoping there was someone local who could do it and save me the shipping costs.

If you want to do it yourself use KG Gunkote or Duracoat. Cerakote is just another DIY epoxy spray paint.

If you decide to have it done maybe I can help. Please remember a barreled action being a rifle can be shipped via USPS and should only cost about $12 to $15 to mail

(Lancaster County)

Thanks Brad - I see your work over on SF all the time - it always looks outstanding.

I have duracoated a couple of 10/22s and they have turned out nice but I can break a 10/22 down to individual parts. I dont have the skill to break a R700 down. Do you duracoat/cerakote a bbl action as one piece or do you really need to take it completely apart to do it correctly?

You could just do the entire action or remove the barrel and action. The tough part is to have an oven large enough do perform such a task. You can build your own refinishing oven. I am going to build mine once my brother in law picks up my cabinet.

As far as baking in the oven...I don't know what odors smell like from Cerakote, but KG/Norrell's isn't that bad and it's safe to use your standard oven. I use my oven all the time for smaller parts.

If you can get the Remington barrel off (pay a gunsmith) you should be able to fit it into your oven. I have a 26" SS barrel that will fit into my oven if I place the barrel in diagonally.