Pennsylvania Firearm Owners Association
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    (Philadelphia County)

Default First Pistol Purchase

Hey all,

Had some questions for you guys (and girls).

I had been researching a first carry pistol purchase for quite some time. Really liked the Ruger LCR.

Finally found one at Classic Pistol for rent that I can shoot. This is after searching several shops / ranges . Probably going to go up there this week with my dad and try it out.

He also suggested a S&W that one of his friends may be wanting to sell. It's a Model 19, .357, 2.5" barrel. Not sure of finish, but knowing the guy possibly selling it, it's more than likely immaculate.

My exact questions: (Though anything would be helpful)
    • Which pistol do you think would be better for a first time concealed carry / range shooting?
    • What approximate price would I expect to be told for the S&W? (He hasn't set anything yet, and GunBroker has nothing close to what may be available.)

This will more than likely happen anyway, which is why I like what i've read so far, but all I ask, is that whatever your opinion is, please explain it. (Facts, specs, ect.)

I've had way too many a seasoned shooter not even give me the time of day with questions since what I was looking at wasn't "their brand." It's awful discouraging.

Thank you all in advance!

(Allegheny County)

Default Re: First Pistol Purchase

I have a LCR and its nice and light for summer carry but I been carrying my subcompact glock 33 chambered in .357 Sig mostly anymore, not saying that you would be best off with that caliber but in my opinion for the extra money a subcompact glock might fit the bill "Glock Perfection" keep us informed on what you pick and pics would be well appreciated!!!!!!

(Cumberland County)

I haven't fired the LCR, but I did handle one the other day because I'm looking for a small revolver for carry. I'll give you my impressions of the LCR, can't tell you much about the S&W, but there are many members here that swear by them.

First off I am a Ruger fan, I have a MKIII .22 pistol that is an amazing gun. I love it. That being said I do not like the LCR, especially for a first gun. The pistol is very light, which is good for carrying it, but bad for shooting it. The lighter the gun the more recoil to deal with. This is especially important with a first gun. You'll want to take it to the range and shoot it A LOT. I know, we've all been there. If the gun is uncomfortable to shoot you won't enjoy it. Then you won't bother practicing enough to be proficient enough to carry it. So then you're screwed two ways.

Also the fit and finish on the LCR seemed poor to me. That and I really can't wrap my head around the idea of a plastic revolver.

To each his own though. S&W guns are usually excellent, especially their wheelguns. I just don't think a light DAO wheelgun is a good choice for a first gun. DA can be tough enough to shoot by itself, but adding flinch potential from a light pistol with a loud, hard bang could make it a deal breaker. (I assume you know what DA is/means. If not ask.)

Anyway, just my opinion. Do what feels right for you. If you have any questions please ask.
    Selling off a a sizeable Spyderco collection here

(Cumberland County)

I may need to retract some of the things above. I re-read your OP and saw you said you're looking for a first CARRY pistol, not a first pistol in general. Does that mean you own other pistols and/or have a fair amount of experience with other handguns?
    Selling off a a sizeable Spyderco collection here

(Lycoming County)

Buy em' both and use the LCR for summer carry and the model 19 for winter carry...

I'd go with the Model 19 for several reasons. First, 19's are getting harder to find and they are much desired as carry pieces - for those that prefer revolvers. The 19 is not a "light" gun, it is all steel, but it is a nice size and, with the right holster, an easy gun to carry.

The 19 is built on the K-frame, which at one time comprised much of the S&W line. The L-frame (slightly larger, but with the same grip dimensions) now does yeoman duty in the magnum calibers. It was born because of the school of thought that said the K-frame would shoot loose with a steady diet magnums. This should not scare you off, and wasn't meant as a negative comment. Any gun will shoot loose with a steady diet of high powered ammo - the K-frame, being lighter would happen more quickly than a comparable L-frame gun. Life is a compromise - you get a smaller, easier to carry gun, albeit one that may not last as long if fed all magnums (it will probably still outlast us both). Practice can be done with .38 specials while carry can be full house .357's or .38 special +P's.

The finish will either be a bright/deep blue or nickel - the stainless version is the model 66.

You can never go wrong with a S&W and that's even moreso with one that is no longer made - although with their current "Classics" trend you might see these recycled, but it's always nice to have an original.

JMHO.

Adios,

Pizza Bob
    NRA Benefactor Member

(Centre County)

I'm primarily a Ruger revolver guy but I do CC a pistol now and again. The Model 19, at a good price would be a nice carry gun. Being older, the trigger is probably very nice and smooth (depending on how much it has been shot). If you buy it, take it to a gunsmith for an safety and operating inspection before shooting it (I would recommend this to anyone buying a used gun).

If you are pretty well versed in shooting a revolver and want something small for CC AND range shooting, I would NOT recommend the LCR (I know, a surprise for those that know me and my Rugers). It IS a nice small gun for CC but not for plinking at the range. In that case I would go with a Ruger SP101. It's all stainless steel, very sturdy, and has the mass to help tame recoil. The same with the S&W, more mass in the Model 19 which will make it a bit easier on the hand when shooting at the range. For the right price, even I would not shy away from the S&W.
    Ron USAF Ret E-8 FFL01/SOT3 NRA Benefactor Member

(Allegheny County)

My girlfriend was looking at getting a firearm and wanted a compact revolver. We both handled most of the current ones including the LCR, S&W, Taurus, etc, etc. The LCR by far has the nicest DAO trigger of the bunch.

I however have not shot the LCR and cannot comment on the recoil.

Before you start to carry you may want to look into a larger frame .357. You can shoot .38 out of it and the recoil will be more manageable. It could be a good home defense gun or winter or open carry gun.

(Philadelphia County)

Quote Originally Posted by rwb1500 View Post
    I may need to retract some of the things above. I re-read your OP and saw you said you're looking for a first CARRY pistol, not a first pistol in general. Does that mean you own other pistols and/or have a fair amount of experience with other handguns?
    I've shot before, but it's been awhile. I don't currently own a pistol. Own two rifles though.

I'm leaning toward the model 19 if the price is right. I still haven't gotten an answer from the seller.

(Monroe County)

THe Model 19 is a cadillac of revolvers, if youre not into fine guns and collecting let it go to a collector .

THe LCR is fine carry weapon, it is everything that the 19 is not- lightweight , short , ugly and cheap. Get it for edc.

Nymaz

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast