Pennsylvania Firearm Owners Association
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    (Monroe County)

Talking Springfield Armory XD9 service 4" review

I have had this gun for a few months now, so I think it is time for a review. On a side note, this is my first auto-loader, as well as my first handgun period.

ETA: to clarify things, the normal package is about $500. I paid about $400 for the one i got.

SA XD-9

I originally picked this gun for the the way it felt, not the way it shot. I went out and fondled a bunch of guns in the same price range ($500-ish), some of which felt OK, and some of which...sucked. For example, when I picked up a Block 19 (I am sorry, a Glock), my giant Sasquatch mitts did not come close to fitting in the cool (but badly placed) finger moldings on the front strap. When I picked this one up, though, it was like it screamed PICK MEEEEEEEEEEEEEE!!!!!!!! Great fit for my monster mitts, I don't even have to think about getting a good grip. It just goes there by itself.

The package I got was what SA calls the "XD Essentials" package. This means that the package does not include the factory holster, mag pouch, or speed loader, but you save a hundred or so dollars. You get the gun, two 16round magazines, a lock, a plastic bristled bore brush (I prefer brass), and assorted paperwork.

The lack of a holster/etc. didn't bother me, as the savings allowed me to buy a molded leather OWB holster and an aftermarket speedloader without going over the original price.

I will say I am somewhat disappointed with the case. Pros are that it was included, seems pretty tough, and says Springfield on it. Unfortunately, there is a huge amount of slop in the spaces for the gun and the mags (see photo below), so they rattle around a lot and do not fit snugly into the box. This really annoyes me a lot, since I am used to nice padded cases! It is only a $500 gun, so I am not sure i can complain too much about a crappy case, but my dislike stands. Also, my speedloader does not come close to fitting in the space provided for one.

About half an hour after I walked out the door, I was sitting at the range with a buddy and a couple of rifles. On a whim, I stuck a mag in it and fired at a full body target at 50 yards...and hit squarely center of mass (sorry, I did not have a camera.) I can keep groups under 4" at ten yards with it. This gun is more accurate than I am (or may ever be.)

The trigger pull is light enough not to bother me too much, and has a fairly clean break. On the flip side, it also has a ridiculously long and sloppy take-up, which I suspect is a byproduct of the trigger safety. Compared to my boltgun it is pretty ugly, but after shooting a friend's G17 (seriously, do they Rhino-Line them or something?) and a few others, I have decided it is not bad, and have no problems using it.

To date I have fired over a thousant rounds of various brands and types, and have yet to have any feeding, firing, or jamming problems at all. The rounds in the magazine sit so flat to the feed ramp that it will load empty casings...literally. I actually stuck a few empty casings into an empty mag and racked the slide a few times--they fed with no problems.

Breaking the gun down to clean is almost ridiculously easy. After four or five runs I actually blindfolded myself, and first try took it down and put it back together again in about 20 seconds. Before this, i'd never disassembled a semi-auto before. Only bolts and breaks.

I think I will be keeping it for a long time.

Also, I think we need this logo again:
    Last edited by MischaBurns; June 8th, 2010 at 02:14 PM.
    ONE TO THE HEAD!!!!

(Butler County)

Default Re: Springfield Armory XD9 service 4" review

Surprised to see the case. My XD9 sub compact (a year old) case is foam with cut outs. Everything fits tight.

(Lebanon County)

My XD 9 is about 4 years old, and came with everything. The range holster, mag pouch, loading assister, brush, lock, foam case and (2) 16 rd mags. I think it was 519 when I got it, so they really seem to have come UP in price.

But, I love the thing. I personally have NEVER had a jam, misfire, misfeed, ANYTHING other than bang. Love it! I'd like to get an XD45, for a carry gun, instead of the 9mm. I do not care for the XDm's, they just feel strange.

It is interesting you say the thing fits your large hands. I have, I wouldn't say small hands, but they are not big - but the XD just fits. NO other gun seems to fit quite like the XD.

(Cumberland County)

Great guns aren't they? Good pics too. What did you use to take that pic of the SA logo? Nice macro.

Here's mine. The pics aren't so great, but it's green and ported!

Dirty too, lol.
    Selling off a a sizeable Spyderco collection here

(Monroe County)

Quote Originally Posted by DonM55 View Post
    Surprised to see the case. My XD9 sub compact (a year old) case is foam with cut outs. Everything fits tight.
    I find the crappy case I got quite aggrivating.

Quote Originally Posted by DethWshBkr View Post
    My XD 9 is about 4 years old, and came with everything. The range holster, mag pouch, loading assister, brush, lock, foam case and (2) 16 rd mags. I think it was 519 when I got it, so they really seem to have come UP in price.

It is interesting you say the thing fits your large hands. I have, I wouldn't say small hands, but they are not big - but the XD just fits. NO other gun seems to fit quite like the XD.
    Actually, I should have clarified that. The full package is still about $520, the essentials package was about $420.

As to the hands: magic gun!

Quote Originally Posted by rwb1500 View Post
    Great guns aren't they? Good pics too. What did you use to take that pic of the SA logo? Nice macro.
    i shoot all my photos with a Canon DSLR, that was an 18mm lens for that shot (18-55mm, at 18)
    ONE TO THE HEAD!!!!

Nice review. I bought the exact same gun, with the exact same case, as my first handgun about 4 months ago. Eerily similar lol.

(Armstrong County)

Ive had mine for a few years now. Prob got a 5-6k rounds thru it. One of my favorite pistols.
    It only comes out to play now with my Trident on it.

...wow that first pic sucks. sorry

(Franklin County)

Nice XD's guys. I love how those things shoot. Mean looking guns too.
    Armalite AR-30, 6 AR15's, Glock 30, Rem 700 SPS Tac .308, 12GA, Yugo AK47 UF, AK47.

You OD frame guys make me jealous. I really wanted an OD green frame but all I could find in my area were black on black and my impatience got the best of me.

(Cumberland County)

Quote Originally Posted by Subverto View Post
    You OD frame guys make me jealous. I really wanted an OD green frame but all I could find in my area were black on black and my impatience got the best of me.

I desperately want to get an OD Glock to play with the XD. You could always get it Duracoated. Check out Goldenloki.com. He does really good work. I've seen some stuff personally and really like how it looks, especially for the price. You could probably make your XD OD for less than $50.
    Selling off a a sizeable Spyderco collection here

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast