Pennsylvania Firearm Owners Association

Default Thinking about one of the 7 or 8 shot Taurus 357 magnum.

Thinking about buying one of the 7 or 8 shot Taurus 357 magnum. Whats the skinny on these revolvers? I had a snub nose Taurus 38 spl I gave it to my ex wife for protection it was a pretty decent little snub noise. Has Taurus quality improved as much as it has in there autos, is it as good in its revolvers.

In the 1980s I bought a Taurus 66 like 357 after about 200 rounds the cylinder would spin after firing a shot. The snub nose was bought in the 90s it seemed to be lock up pretty solid and tight. How are Taurus revolvers QC now? Since they cost almost as much as a Smith now.
    Last edited by Neko456; June 7th, 2010 at 01:38 PM.

(Cumberland County)

Default Re: Thinking about one of the 7 or 8 shot Taurus 357 magnum.

Quote Originally Posted by Neko456 View Post
    Thinking about buying one of the 7 or 8 shot Taurus 357 magnum. Whats the skinny on these revolvers? I had a snub nose Taurus 38 spl I gave it to my ex wife for protection it was a pretty decent little snub noise. Has Taurus quality improved as much as it has in there autos, is it as good in its revolvers.

In the 1980s I bought a Taurus 66 like 357 after about 200 rounds the cylinder would spin after firing a shot. The snub nose was bought in the 90s it seemed to be lock up pretty solid and tight. How are Taurus revolvers QC now? Since they cost almost as much as a Smith now.
    Since they almost cost as much as an S&W you'd probably be better off just getting a used Smith, why bother with iffy quality control?
    Selling off a a sizeable Spyderco collection here

(Berks County)

Post Re: Thinking about one of the 7 or 8 shot Taurus 357 magnum.

From what I've seen, Taurus QC overall has improved a lot in their late 2008-and newer firearms. Before that I wouldn't call it terrible, but they did have their issues. They do seem to have finally figured out most their issues, although since they manufacture ALL of their own parts, I feel they are a little slow with their solutions. I think that as long as you buy a new one, or at least a newer used one, you will be fine. BTW, if you go to purchase a used one and the Dealer doesn't know when it was built, you can always look up the serial# on the Taurus website.

Quote Originally Posted by Neko456 View Post
    Since they cost almost as much as a Smith now.
    They are actually MUCH cheaper than a Smith, but if a Smith is in your budget, I say go for the Smith.
    On Buds a 7rd .357mag 4" SS Smith is $670 while the 4" SS Taurus is $400. It seems the 7rd Smith is the same price no matter what barrel size, while if you get a Blue 2" Taurus it's $347, and up to $456 for a 6" barrel version. If you take look at reviews in magazines or yes even the internet, Taurus almost always seems to come up as a great buy for the price, but you do get a better product when you pay $XXX more for a Glock, Smith, Springfield, etc...
    Last edited by JonnyBeGood86; June 7th, 2010 at 02:25 PM.
    So ya, Thought ya, Might like to Go to the show

(Franklin County)

We have 3 taurus' a 357 a 38spl and a pt22, not a single problem ever. And there is a big difference in price. I've have my 357 for 9 years now 6 in barrel 7 shot . Great gun. Got it sighted in at 75 yards with open sights. shoots about an inch low. Very happy with it............
    In God We Trust............................

(Blair County)

Im happy with my Taurus revolver, I had a pt100fs before and it was bulletproof as well. Guy at work has 2 raging bulls in .50 and .454 loves them never had an issue either. Old Smiths and Colts were awesome, but for half the price you get 100% of the performance, and 90% of the fit and finish. I would trust any new Taurus at least as much as any other gunmaker except maybe Sig.

(Lancaster County)

I have had this model 66 for about five years. I did have to send it back to Miami about a year into owning it because the cylinder stopped locking. I could spin it in either direction when the cylinder was closed. It did manage to still work while this problem existed but I had it repaired anyway. Since then it has been fine. I cant say Ive shot thousands of rounds through it though. more like a thousand (if that) total. I will go on record saying it is equally as accurate as my 4 inch Smith model 19 or 6 inch GP100. I think I paid around 350 for it new and to me it is worth the money for what it is.

It sounds like Taurus has improved its QC and would be worth the money. As for getting a used S&W I'm always on the look out for a good deal but on used revolvers you can almost forget it. Colt and S&W revolvers cost more then there Autos or just as much.

That is why I'm looking at the Taurus 7 or 8 shot L frame looking revolver in 4" or 6" barrels probbaly SS. I saw a 4" L frame 357 7 shot in my local gun shop they wanted $680 for it, hell I bought my 13 shot Glock 21sf for $530 and thought I made a good deal.

I paid $286 for a used 686 at a pawn shop back then they wanted $389 for it new. I bought new my Colt King Cobra for $325 both are very nice looking guns and very strong accurate guns that tame the mighty 357 magnum. Here you can seege how long its been since I bought a revolver.

The last revolver I bought I don't own anymore it was a 38spl snub nose from Taurus I paid $239 for it. It was a pretty good gun. I only put about 100 rounds through it before I gave it to my wife for self protection. She still has it and shoots it fairly often.

Waiting for a used 7 shot 686 I'd be waiting a long time and still have to pay
    $600 - $700 for it looking at the local Gun Shows. Whereas I could just walk into a Gun shop and buy a 7 or 8 shot 4" Taurus 357 for $450.
    Last edited by Neko456; June 8th, 2010 at 09:35 AM.

LOVE my 7 shot Taurus 357. i have had ZERO issues with any of my 3 Taurus Revolvers and will be buying more in the future
    This Space For Rent

(Montgomery County)

Do not go to gun shows looking for a good deal, visit your local gun shops. Just a few weeks ago a local shop around my way had a Smith and Wesson 620+ (7 shot L frame) for 400 USD!!! I inspected it and it was tip top. I would have bought it if I had the cash on me.

Taurus is not worth the money. They are not of great quality and close in price to Smith and Wesson revolvers. Buy a Smith and get what you pay for.
    Join the groups protecting your rights from the fools trying to take them from you!

Quote Originally Posted by Steve_NEPhila View Post
    Do not go to gun shows looking for a good deal, visit your local gun shops. Just a few weeks ago a local shop around my way had a Smith and Wesson 620+ (7 shot L frame) for 400 USD!!! I inspected it and it was tip top. I would have bought it if I had the cash on me.

Taurus is not worth the money. They are not of great quality and close in price to Smith and Wesson revolvers. Buy a Smith and get what you pay for.
    No doubt that a S&W is a better revolver but find a bargain like you did come far and in between. I would have bought that 620 7 shot for 4 bills that was a darn good deal.

But like I stated I can go into my local Gun shop and pick up a 7 r 8 shot Taurus for $450 today. Granted its not a Smith but I just want a 7r8 shot 357 to shoot. But you are right a Smith is a better gun.