Pennsylvania Firearm Owners Association
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    (Lancaster County)

Default Insight on purchasing 1st Gun

Hey All -

I've never owned or even shot a gun, but I am interested in learning more about it as I grew up in Michigan and now living here in Pennsylvania, so many people go to the range or of course simply go hunting for their big hobbies.

If somebody has never taken a test or got licensed to own a gun and never bought one, what are the requirements for them to simply buy one from a local gun store (i.e. a handgun to shoot at the range)? Does one need to have a license first or is it as simple as the store does a background check and they get the gun that day after the background check or whenever it's completed?

I'd like to try and get to the range a few times this summer with a simple handgun and perhaps see how much I like it, then perhaps take hunting lessons and stepping up next fall/winter time as a 1st time hunter.

Thanks in-advance.

(Philadelphia County)

Default Re: Insight on purchasing 1st Gun

Quote Originally Posted by shootingstar34 View Post
    Hey All -

I've never owned or even shot a gun, but I am interested in learning more about it as I grew up in Michigan and now living here in Pennsylvania, so many people go to the range or of course simply go hunting for their big hobbies.

If somebody has never taken a test or got licensed to own a gun and never bought one, what are the requirements for them to simply buy one from a local gun store (i.e. a handgun to shoot at the range)? Does one need to have a license first or is it as simple as the store does a background check and they get the gun that day after the background check or whenever it's completed?

I'd like to try and get to the range a few times this summer with a simple handgun and perhaps see how much I like it, then perhaps take hunting lessons and stepping up next fall/winter time as a 1st time hunter.

Thanks in-advance.
    First of all WELCOME to the forum!!

Second: Read, READ, R E A D!!

http://paopencarry.org/PennsylvaniaGunRights.pdf
    http://forum.pafoa.org/concealed-ope...nsylvania.html

I know it's a lot. But it's everything you want/need to know.

To buy a gun, the gun shop does a backround check thru the PA State Police.
    You can walk out with your gun the same day.
    As long as you meet the requirements:

Section 6105(a):
    Effective November 22, 1995, 18 Pa.C.S. § 6105(a) prohibits persons convicted of any of the following offenses under 18 Pa.C.S. from
    possessing, using, controlling, transferring, manufacturing, or obtaining a license to possess, use, control, transfer, or manufacture a firearm
    in the Commonwealth of Pennsylvania. A conviction includes a finding of guilty or the entering of a plea of guilty or nolo contendere, whether
    or not judgement has been imposed, as determined by the law of the jurisdiction in which the prosecution was held. The term does not
    include a conviction which has been expunged or overturned or for which an individual has been pardoned unless the pardon expressly
    provides that the individual may not possess or transport firearms.
    Section 6105(b):
    § 908 Prohibited offensive weapons. § 3921 Theft by unlawful taking or disposition, upon
    § 911 Corrupt organizations. conviction of the second felony offense.
    § 912 Possession of weapon on school property. § 3923 Theft by extortion, when the offense is
    § 2502 Murder. accompanied by threats of violence.
    § 2503 Voluntary manslaughter. § 3925 Receiving stolen property, upon conviction of
    § 2504 Involuntary manslaughter, if the offense is the second felony offense.
    based on the reckless use of a firearm. § 4912 Impersonating a public servant, if the person is
    § 2702 Aggravated assault. impersonating a law enforcement officer.
    § 2703 Assault by prisoner. § 4952 Intimidation of witnesses or victims.
    § 2704 Assault by life prisoner. § 4953 Retaliation against witness or victim.
    § 2709.1 Stalking. § 5121 Escape.
    § 2716 Weapons of mass destruction § 5122 Weapons or implements for escape.
    § 2901 Kidnapping. § 5501(3) Riot, if the offense relates to a firearm or other
    § 2902 Unlawful restraint deadly weapon.
    § 2910 Luring a child into a motor vehicle. § 5515 Prohibiting of paramilitary training.
    § 3121 Rape. § 5516 Facsimile weapons of mass destruction.
    § 3123 Involuntary deviate sexual intercourse. § 6110.1 Possession of firearm by minor.
    § 3125 Aggravated indecent assault. § 6301 Corruption of minors.
    § 3301 Arson and related offenses. § 6302 Sale or lease of weapons and explosives.
    § 3302 Causing or risking catastrophe.
    § 3502 Burglary. Any offense equivalent to any of the above-enumerated
    § 3503 Criminal trespass, if the offense is graded a offenses under the prior laws of this Commonwealth, or any
    felony of the second degree or higher. offense equivalent to any of the above-enumerated
    § 3701 Robbery. offenses under the statutes of any other state or of the
    § 3702 Robbery of motor vehicle. United States.
    Section 6105(c):
    Effective November 22, 1995, 18 Pa.C.S. § 6105(c) also prohibits the following persons from possessing, using, controlling, transferring,
    manufacturing, or obtaining a license to possess, use, control, transfer, or manufacture a firearm in the Commonwealth of Pennsylvania.
    ARE YOU A PERSON WHO:
    1. is a fugitive from justice; or
    2. has been convicted of an offense under the act of April 14, 1972 (P.L. 233, No. 64), known as The Controlled Substance, Drug, Device
    and Cosmetic Act, or any equivalent Federal statute or equivalent statute of any other state, that may be punishable by a term of
    imprisonment exceeding two years; or
    3. has been convicted of driving under the influence of alcohol or controlled substance as provided in 75 Pa.C.S. § 3802 (relating to driving
    under influence of alcohol or controlled substance) or the former 75 Pa.C.S. § 3731, on three or more separate occasions within a fiveyear
    period. For the purposes of this paragraph only, the prohibition of Section 6105(a) shall only apply to transfers or purchases of
    firearms after the third conviction; or
    4. has been adjudicated as an incompetent or who has been involuntarily committed to a mental institution for inpatient care and treatment
    under section 302, 303, or 304 of the provisions of the act of July 9, 1976 (P.L. 817, No. 143), known as the Mental Health Procedures
    Act; or
    5. being an alien, is illegally or unlawfully in the United States; or
    6. is the subject of an active protection from abuse order issued pursuant to 23 Pa.C.S. § 6108 (relating to relief), which order provides for
    the relinquishment of firearms during the period of time the order is in effect. This prohibition shall terminate upon the expiration or
    vacation of an active protection from abuse order or portion thereof relating to the relinquishment of firearms; or
    7. was adjudicated delinquent by a court pursuant to 42 Pa.C.S. § 6341 (relating to adjudication) or under any equivalent Federal statute or
    statute of any other state as a result of conduct which if committed by an adult would constitute an offense under 18 Pa.C.S. sections
    2502, 2503, 2702, 2703, 2704, 2901, 3121, 3123, 3301, 3502, 3701, and 3923; or
    8. was adjudicated delinquent by a court pursuant to 42 Pa.C.S. § 6341 or under any equivalent Federal statute or statute of any other state
    as a result of conduct which if committed by an adult would constitute an offense enumerated in 18 Pa.C.S. § 6105(b) with the exception
    of those crimes set forth in paragraph 7. This prohibition shall terminate 15 years after the last applicable delinquent adjudication or upon
    the person reaching the age of 30, whichever is earlier.
    9. is prohibited from possessing or acquiring a firearm under 18 U.S.C. § 922(g)(9) (relating to unlawful acts) who has been convicted in
    any court of a misdemeanor crime of domestic violence by a person in any of the following relationships: (i) the current or former spouse,
    parent or guardian of the victim; (ii) a person with whom the victim shares a child in common; (iii) a person who cohabits with or has
    cohabited with the victim as a spouse, parent or guardian; or (iv) a person similarly situated to a spouse, parent, or guardian of the victim;
    then the relationship need not be an element of the offense to meet the requirements of this paragraph.

Now, what kind of gun are you thinking about getting?
    Last edited by biggs88; June 6th, 2010 at 02:19 PM.

(Lancaster County)

Thanks...I have never done any of that so I'd definitely be able to buy a gun, as I assumed. I was just curious if I needed a license before-hand, even if it's just to keep in my house. Sounds like I'd have to stop by the Sheriff's office if I want to bring it somewhere, though.

Thanks again. I'm going to start research which handgun I'd like to first buy to use at the range.

(Philadelphia County)

Sounds like I'd have to stop by the Sheriff's office if I want to bring it somewhere, though.
    As long as you are not prohibited to by law, You can open carry a gun while walking around in public. You cannot take your gun in a car with you unless your going to/from the gun range/shop/smith or you have a Licence To Carry Firearm (LTCF). You also cannot carry into a city of the first class without a LTCF(first class = more than 1 million residents). Philadelphia is the only one in the state.

I would go and apply for the LTCF asap since it can take up to 40 days, if not longer(which is illegal, but they have done it).

Go here for info on getting a LTCF:
    http://www.co.lancaster.pa.us/sherif...p?A=3&Q=620126
    Last edited by biggs88; June 6th, 2010 at 02:40 PM.

(Franklin County)

Thanks...I have never done any of that so I'd definitely be able to buy a gun, as I assumed. I was just curious if I needed a license before-hand, even if it's just to keep in my house. Sounds like I'd have to stop by the Sheriff's office if I want to bring it somewhere, though.

Thanks again. I'm going to start research which handgun I'd like to first buy to use at the range.
    There are a few destinations where you make take your firearm directly to and from without the need for a LTCF. The range is one of those places, though admittedly, the license process is fairly simple and inexpensive, and there's really no reason not to go ahead and get one even if you don't plan on carrying a firearm on your person for self-defense. It gives you flexibility and covers you for little quirks in the law that many people don't even realize exist.
    Get your "Guns Save Lives" stickers today! PM for more info.

(Butler County)

The range (indoor) I go to rents hadguns for $10/hr. They also help new shooters get started for free. You need a LTCF to transport (loaded) in your car. You can transport to and from range without a LTCF as long as it's unloaded and store properly. No license is required to have in your home.

Welcome. Read and learn as much as you can. If you have the money training is always good. As for your first pistol, try and hold and or shoot as many as you can. Good luck and be safe.

(Dauphin County)

So, all of the above is good advice, but........ maybe start crawling first.

You have friends - ask if any of them own guns, or if they know someone. Talk to those people and learn about them and the guns they use and why. Get them to take you to a range to shoot. Before shooting or at the same time, get safety training on basic handling, etc. so you have an enjoyable experience. Don't expect to hit the middle X the first time you shoot and every shot thereafter...... that'll come.

Go shopping. Handle lots of them - a gun show is a good place to do this.

Determine why you want a gun - and buy one that will meet that need. A very small gun is easy to carry but you won't win any shooting titles with it. A larger gun may shoot more accurately but may be harder to carry / conceal. A .22 will be cheap to shoot; a .45 will be more expensive. How much are you looking to spend?

It's a great hobby that can turn into a lifestyle and asset for you and your family. Wade into the shallow end of the pool first and work and learn more. I think you'll enjoy this journey!

(Franklin County)

Quote Originally Posted by DonM55 View Post
    You need a LTCF to transport (loaded) in your car.
    You need a LTCF to carry (transport) a firearm in a vehicle loaded or unloaded unless you are traveling directly to and from one of the specifically exempted destinations.
    Get your "Guns Save Lives" stickers today! PM for more info.

(Schuylkill County)

I would suggest a .22 as a first gun.
    Very little recoil and cheap to shoot. Once you get into it a little, you will have a better idea of what kind of weapon you would like to move up to next.

If hunting is a goal in the future, remember that you cannot hunt with a semi auto rifle or handgun. You can hunt with a revolver but, depending on the game, I think a rifle is a better choice, especially for a new shooter.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast