Pennsylvania Firearm Owners Association
    (Bucks County)

Default TN Restaurant bill override

TN legislature overrides Gov veto

TN Senate Bill 3012

NRA News release

Gov. Bredesen’s Veto of Restaurant Carry Again Overridden by State Legislature

Friday, June 04, 2010

Fairfax, Va. – In a strong reaffirmation of the fundamental right of self-defense, the Tennessee House and Senate have successfully overridden Governor Phil Bredesen’s veto of Senate Bill 3012. This NRA-supported bill will enable law-abiding right-to-carry permit holders to carry firearms for self-defense in establishments where alcohol is served, as long as they do not consume alcohol or are not otherwise prohibited by posting provisions. SB 3012 passed both the House and Senate with broad bipartisan support, but Gov. Bredesen vetoed the bill on May 18, disappointing more than 250,000 right-to-carry permit holders in his state. While an override of the veto only needed a simple majority vote to pass, it cleared both chambers with overwhelming, bipartisan support. This measure was overridden in the Senate by a margin of 22-10 and in the House by a margin of 61-30.

“Until today, Tennessee law has prevented right-to-carry permit holders from having the chance to defend themselves from criminal attack while in a restaurant,” said Chris W. Cox, NRA chief lobbyist. "It’s a shame that Governor Bredesen has so little faith in his fellow Tennesseans to behave responsibly, but this veto override proves that the majority of Tennessee legislators do trust permit holders. They understand this is a common-sense measure that must become law in their state, just as it is already law in 32 other states.”

Not one of the 32 states that allow permit holders to carry in establishments that serve alcohol has repealed this law. That’s because these laws have proven to be effective and permit holders have proven to be trustworthy. This type of legislation is crucial because crime can occur anywhere, including in restaurants. On April 2, 2009, a Tennessee man was gunned down at a sports bar in Nashville by a criminal stalking his wife. Although she was a right-to-carry permit holder, she was forced to helplessly watch this tragedy unfold, because Tennessee law required her to leave her gun locked in the car outside.

A bill similar to SB 3012 passed the Tennessee House and Senate with overwhelming bipartisan support in May 2009, only to be vetoed by Gov. Bredesen. Despite a successful veto override by Tennessee’s state legislature, the enacted law was ruled unconstitutionally vague because of a perceived ambiguity over the state’s definition of restaurants. SB 3012, filed in response to that court ruling last November, fixed any possible ambiguity.

“We would like to thank State Sen. Doug Jackson (D-25), State Rep. Curry Todd (R-95) and Lt. Governor Ron Ramsey for their leadership and commitment to this effort” concluded Cox.

This law will go into effect upon being assigned a public chapter number by the Tennessee Secretary of State.
    Last edited by mrjam2jab; June 5th, 2010 at 05:22 PM.

(Delaware County)

Default Re: TN Restaurant bill override

good for Tennessee..there shouldn't be any laws that restrict someone the ability to protect them self in any situation, IMHO.
    Peace, Prosperity, and Liberty

Yes. I've been following this. I recall that the Governor vetoed it at the very last minute and then went on vacation. It was like one last "screw you" before he left.

I'm glad they got it past him. I may end up living there some day.
    Tommy610, NRA Member, Romans 12:18

(Monroe County)

That is really cool that they were able to ram it down the Governors throat the way that they did. Gov. Bredesen must be feeling pretty small right now given that you can't "control" everyone the way he would like to.

As a recent transplant from Philadelphia and a restaurant owner in TN I was very pleased to see this come to the conclussion that it did. In fact I am in the process of designing a sign for my restaurant's front door saying something to the effect that legal handgun permit holders are WELCOME in my establishment!

Quote Originally Posted by Driver400 View Post
    As a recent transplant from Philadelphia and a restaurant owner in TN I was very pleased to see this come to the conclussion that it did. In fact I am in the process of designing a sign for my restaurant's front door saying something to the effect that legal handgun permit holders are WELCOME in my establishment!
    I would SO do that, if I had a restaurant. Any BG cruising for a target would most likely not stop at yours. Why would he chance it?

This is the reasoning we have to get into business owners' heads... allowing guns (and even publicizing that fact) is good for you.
    Tommy610, NRA Member, Romans 12:18

(Lancaster County)

Give 'em a half off appetizer special with their carry license.
    "You can't stop insane people from doing insane things by passing insane laws--that's insane!" -- Penn Jillette

"To my mind it is wholly irresponsible to go into the world incapable of preventing violence, injury, crime, and death. How feeble is the mindset to accept defenselessness. How unnatural. How cheap. How cowardly. How pathetic." -- Ted Nugent

(Lackawanna County)

Please keep us posted on how this works out for you,what your patrons have to say and a pic of your sign as it would help us with business owners here in Pa.
    Government 99 and 44/100 % pure bullshit.

(Bucks County)

Any chance the forum rule...that I'm assuming exists...can be overlooked this one time and allow Driver to plug the name of his restaurant...