Pennsylvania Firearm Owners Association
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
    (Lancaster County)

Default Hey yall I need a little help...

Ok I was shooting pretty well with my nagant m91/30 rifle...I did a few minor mods,polished the part of the firing pin that rubs up against the inside of the bolt,polished up surfaces that make contact with the receiver.Now...I want to be able to clean up the trigger surfaces.Heres my problem,the screw for the trigger leafspring is Rocksolid...wont budge.I boogered up the screw a little so i stopped.Now how do i get this thing out.Oh yeah and its not that boogered up Im going to get some quick blue and sandpaper and fix it up .But how do I get the screw out?
    Gott mit uns

(York County)

Default Re: Hey yall I need a little help...

Quote Originally Posted by Triggerh4ppy View Post
    Ok I was shooting pretty well with my nagant m91/30 rifle...I did a few minor mods,polished the part of the firing pin that rubs up against the inside of the bolt,polished up surfaces that make contact with the receiver.Now...I want to be able to clean up the trigger surfaces.Heres my problem,the screw for the trigger leafspring is Rocksolid...wont budge.I boogered up the screw a little so i stopped.Now how do i get this thing out.Oh yeah and its not that boogered up Im going to get some quick blue and sandpaper and fix it up .But how do I get the screw out?

WD-40 or liquid wrench, and any kind of impact driving screwdriver. you can try clamping it down to a heavy table and tapping on the back of a regu;ar screwdriver with a wooden mallet while putting pressure and twist on the screw, or you can get an impact type screwdriver from harbour freight, but the bit size may not fit a small screw.

Heat, properly applied, can be your best friend.......

(Lancaster County)

do you think gasoline would work ? I have a feeling it might be "fossilized" cosmoline stuck under the screw head and the screws thread
    Gott mit uns

(York County)

I would try heat before I used any "impact" type persuasion. Or Kroil if you can find it.
    The smallest minority on earth is the individual. Those who deny individual rights cannot claim to be defenders of minorities.
    Ayn Rand

(Lancaster County)

heat? Like a steamer?
    Gott mit uns

Quote Originally Posted by Triggerh4ppy View Post
    heat? Like a steamer?
    Like a heat gun because you don't really want to take the torch to it, lol. never tried touching a soldering iron on a screw to heat it up, but that would probably work too, but might make it a bit unsightly. Heat gun is usually how it's done.

(Lancaster County)

Okie dokie Ill try that And keep you guys posted.
    Gott mit uns

(York County)

I hesitate to tell you to use a torch, because I don't know what that would do to the blueing. I reconditioned a Mosin, wood and metal, the blueing is very easy to get looking good around the trigger area because of the low quality of machining (not very smooth so it reflects light poorly). I was happy with the results I got when reblueing areas of my Mosin, and I am pretty finicky about how my guns look.

Only you know how bad you want to get that screw out, and how far you are willing to go to do it. A heat gun gets pretty darn hot too, but just about everybody has a propane torch in the garage. Not so, for the heat gun.
    The smallest minority on earth is the individual. Those who deny individual rights cannot claim to be defenders of minorities.
    Ayn Rand

Quote Originally Posted by YBNORMAL View Post
    I hesitate to tell you to use a torch, because I don't know what that would do to the blueing. I reconditioned a Mosin, wood and metal, the blueing is very easy to get looking good around the trigger area because of the low quality of machining (not very smooth so it reflects light poorly). I was happy with the results I got when reblueing areas of my Mosin, and I am pretty finicky about how my guns look.

Only you know how bad you want to get that screw out, and how far you are willing to go to do it. A heat gun gets pretty darn hot too, but just about everybody has a propane torch in the garage. Not so, for the heat gun.
    Pencil torch is the way to go for this issue.........

CAREFULLY applied....

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast