Pennsylvania Firearm Owners Association
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
    (Lancaster County)

Default Advanced Defensive Carbine

August 28th & 29th

Advanced Defensive Carbine / 2 Day
    This class will reinforce the fundamentals learned in Intro to Defensive Carbine and then move in to driving your carbine more effectively. You will be introduced to movement and bounding drills, cover and concealment options, and positional shooting You will learn about the flexibility, versatility, and proper applications of the defensive carbine.

Prerequisite: Completion of a D.A.T. Level II Defensive carbine course or comparable training as approved by D.A.T. Staff

Cost $300.00

Minimum enrollment: 8 students
    Maximum enrollment: 16 students

****Student Responsibility****
    Ammunition:

500 rounds

Equipment:

Modern Defensive Carbine i.e. AR15, M4, SCAR, Sig 556, HK91-93, etc.
    (3+) magazines
    Tactical sling, One-Point or Two-Point
    Pants with belt
    Sturdy footwear
    Hat with a brim
    Sunscreen
    Weather appropriate gear
    Eye and Ear Protection
    *All student carbines must have front and rear iron sights. Tactical optics that permit co witness of front and rear sights, such as the Aimpoint or EoTech, may be used during the course, but do not substitute for iron sights.

(Montgomery County)

Default Re: Advanced Defensive Carbine

I'm interested in this class.

I just completed a 3 day Basic Tactical Carbine class with the Fire Institute. I'd assume that would meet the prerequisite?

Can you go into a little more detail about what the class provides?

List who the instructors are for this class and a little about them. I read some of the bios but this does not say who the instructor is for this class.

Not to be smart but I’ll need to do a little research on you guys and what you offer before I commit. Too often today, people watch a few you tube videos and have earned prestige in COD and think they're commandos. It’s not like you guys are touting a known industry name like Larry Vickers, kyle lamb or Chris Costa. Not that that is a bad thing - it’s just I never heard of you and will need to check into you and what you’re all about.

Anyhow, any additional info about the class, instructors and your organization would be great.

Thank you
    Last edited by Guns4Fun; June 5th, 2010 at 09:00 AM.

(Lancaster County)

Guns4Fun,

Thank you for your interest in our course, I will do my best to answer your questions in order:

- Yes, the Fire Inst. course would be just fine for the prerequisite

- This course is desinged to push past the basics and move into more advanced uses of the carbine. The fundamentals will be reinforced but much of the training centers on the actual use and not just the mechanical application of techniques which I am sure you learned in your basic class. What I mean is that most drills will involve moving, use of cover, moving targets, multiple targets, non-conventional firing positions, advanced manipulation drills (ie:wounded, comprimised abiltity), target identification and scenario based live fire training.

- More than likely the course would be taught by Kris Hurley, myself (Phill Groff) or Tim Meredith. You can see our brief bio's on the website at www.directactionatctical.com

- You are in fact being smart, VERY smart. The best thing to do is research, research, research and you are correct, there are hundreds of Airsoft, YouTube, Ninja, assassin Instructors out there, LOL. I can only assure you we are not those guys. Our knowledge and training expirience comes from decades of "Real" expirience behind the gun applying what we teach and behind the line teaching others like you. The vast majority of our combined training expirience has been in the Military and Law Enforcement communities, including SOF and tactical LE. We are all currently employed full time in various levels of government, public service or security.

- As for not having a "Big Industry Name," it's true we do not, but I have trained with several of your listed "Big Names," and they were all outstanding, as were many lesser known instructors I have trained with. All we can do is ask for the chance to show you what we are capable of and then let you decide. If you like, send me an e-mail and we will be happy to provide you professional references.

Hopefully this answered some questions, please feel free contact me anytime. We look forward to the oppurtunity to train with you.
    "When Knowledge Counts and Experience Matters"

Why just the AR? There are many different types of carbines in different, yet just as effective (or in some cases better), calibers.

(Montgomery County)

Phill, thanks for the response.

After reading the bios, it seems you guys have a long list of actual experience with feet on the ground.

I'm not as worried about pissing away $300 as I am about learning the wrong TTP's from people that don't know what they are doing. If what you state is true, it seems that won't be the case.

This class would work out great because I have family that I could bunk with in Palmyra. So, there's no added lodging cost.

Thanks again. I hope to be in contact with you shortly either way.

(Lancaster County)

Ronin,

My apologies, that has slipped through the cracks of our website. The course is not limited to the AR platform only. Any center fire military / tactical style rifle is appropriate for this training ie: SCAR,FN-FAL, HK 91/93, M1, Sig 556, etc.

Hope this clears it up, we will adjust the post and website, thanks again.

(Lancaster County)

Guns4Fun,

I look forward to hearing from you. Thanks again.

(Allegheny County)

Guns4Fun, your asking all the right questions.
    And I am glad to see the responses.
    I look forward to hearing about the class once you have taken it.

Im at the end of my training budget in both time and money for the year. (5, maybe 6, classes when I only planned on 3!) or else I would consider this as well.

(Allegheny County)

Quote Originally Posted by Direct Action Tactical View Post
    Ronin,

My apologies, that has slipped through the cracks of our website. The course is not limited to the AR platform only. Any center fire military / tactical style rifle is appropriate for this training ie: SCAR,FN-FAL, HK 91/93, M1, Sig 556, etc.

Hope this clears it up, we will adjust the post and website, thanks again.

Hey Guns4fun, I wonder oif the "Zip Gun" could be used haha.

Phil, what are your opinions on using a Kriss Super V for this course? I too was in the FIRE inst course with Guns4fun.

(Lancaster County)

Solscud007,

We'll that weapon would certainly fill the "Modern" requirement. You would probably be able to use the Kriss for the course, but it would be a bit of a round peg in a square hole, it could fit with the proper application of force, LOL.

The vast majority of rounds fired are 25 yards an in but you would loose some capability at the extended ranges as with any pistol-caliber carbine. Our main focus with all our courses is to direct the training towards preparing folks for the real fight with their real kit. I would strongly encourage you to use your Kriss in the course if that is the weapon you will utilize as part of your defensive plan.

The only other negative I would throw towards using the Kriss in this class is that your instructor cadre would not be able to offer you any real expirience on that system. In fact it might be distracting to have an instructor bugging you to "check out" your carbine while your trying to run drills, just kidding.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast