Pennsylvania Firearm Owners Association
    (Montgomery County)

Default Better Results Sighting Target Incorrectly - Why?

About 8 months into pistol ownership/shooting. Weekly visits to the range, shooting about 150-200 rounds per session, is both lots of fun, and good practice. I noticed something tonight though, that has me wondering.

I'm right eye dominant, and right-handed. My vision needs both near and far correction, so my chances of landing shots anywhere near on target at 25 yards are pretty slim. But, at 7 yards, I've been doing well (as I think I'd better be by now). I shoot most accurately with the gun I've fired the most rounds through: my CZ-75b. I recently bought a Glock 19, and find that I am consistently shooting left. Chances that it's the gun or sights? Probably slim to none. So, practice, practice, practice. Here's the odd part:

Near the end of my session at the range tonight, rather than keeping the front sight sharply in-focus and the target blurry, I set my focal point on the target, and looked over the slide and front sight. Imagine my surprise to have landed shots dead center, when that's not the "right way" to do it.

I'm headed out to the range again later today (Sat afternoon), and am going to try this again. But, what's going on here?
    "I don't care what went wrong. I beat the snot out of it until it works" - Clint Smith

(Monroe County)

Default Re: Better Results Sighting Target Incorrectly - Why?

There could be several reasons why you hit well here's a long version from Army's pistol marksmanship book-

If the sights are incorrectly aligned, the net result is an inaccurate shot. Carelessness in obtaining correct sight alignment can usually be traced to the shooter's failure to realize its importance. Many shooters will, in the initial phase of holding, line up the sights in a perfect manner. However, as the firing progresses, and the shooter is concentrating on delivering the shot, he often loses correct sight alignment which he attained in the initial phase of his hold. Usually, when the shooter is unable to maintain a pln-point hold, his concentration on sight alignment wavers. An accurate shot is lost because the shooter is thinking of his arc of movement and not the perfection of sight alignment.
    2. Another factor which contributes to the deterioration of sight alignment, is the feeling of anxiety which arises over the apparently stationery pressure on the trigger when attempting to fire. An impulse is generated to got more pressure on the trigger, so that the shot will be delivered. When the shooter thinks about increasing the trigger pressure, a degree of the intense concentration required to maintain correct sight alignment is lost. Even if trigger control and the hold are good, the net result will be a poor shot. Sight alignment must remain uppermost in the shooter's mind throughout the firing of the shot. Positive trigger pressure must be applied involuntarily. Consistently accurate shots are produced when the shooter maintains intense concentration on sight alignment during the application of trigger pressure, while experiencing a minimum arc of movement. Control of the shot is lessened in direct proportion to the loss of concentration on sight alignment.
    3. The average, advanced shooter is probably limited in sustained concentration to a period of 3 to 6 seconds. This short space of time is the optimum period in which a controlled shot can be delivered.
    This concentration interval should be attained simultaneously with acquiring a minimum arc of movement, a point of focus, satisfactory sight alignment, and the involuntary starting of positive trigger pressure. If exact sight alignment is maintained, and the trigger pressure remains positive, the shot will break during the limited time the shooter is able to control his uninterrupted concentration.
    Result! A dead center hit on the target.
    Short version is you did it right and didn't even know it. You did look at the front sight and checked that eveything was set and had your trigger control and grip were good. After that you can look at the wall and still have a good shot. Best part is your getting a lot a trigger time so you'll get better.
    Owner Trigger Time LLc 01 FFL/NFA Saylorsburg, PA. Sales/Service/Transfers/Training
    NRA CRSO/Pistol/Rifle/Shotgun inst. BSA Rifle/Shotgun Merit badge counselor. US Navy Marksmanship Team Staff

(Lancaster County)

Could be a couple of different things, it's tough to tell without having a partner to watch what you are doing. You mentioned that it is a new handgun for you. It is possible that the sights are not correctly adjusted, which is more common than you think. Every firearm has a unique "personality" and two guns of the exact same make, model and caliber may throw rounds at two completely different spots. Based on what you are saying in your post, it sounds quite possible that your rear sight needs to be adjusted and when you stopped using it;

" and looked over the slide and front sight"

You hit center mass.

Again this is just a possibilty, it is also possible that you, the shooter, are causing the issue. In this case you should seek the cure rather than move the sights to adjust for a fundamentals problem.

Good Luck and Have Fun!
    "When Knowledge Counts and Experience Matters"

(Allegheny County)

It could be the trigger on the Glock. You could be pushing the pistol to the left as you press the trigger. Try slowing down your trigger press (very slow) and see what happens. Bench it and do the same. If on the bench it shoots POA=POI then it has to be you. It takes some time for people to transition to a trigger system like on the Glock.
    Toujours prêt

(Montgomery County)

Quote Originally Posted by Rosco the Iroc View Post
    There could be several reasons why you hit well here's a long version from Army's pistol marksmanship book-

<auto-snipped>

Short version is you did it right and didn't even know it. You did look at the front sight and checked that eveything was set and had your trigger control and grip were good. After that you can look at the wall and still have a good shot. Best part is your getting a lot a trigger time so you'll get better.
    Thanks very much! I was thinking about it last night after I posted, and I thought: "This is a lot like carrying a full, hot, cup of coffee". If you look down at the cup, and only the cup, while you walk, you tend to be jittery and spill it. If you look at the cup, hold it steady, and then focus your eyes on your destination as you walk, you won't spill a drop. Maybe, though somewhat convoluted, my thought process was right! Thanks again.

Mark
    "I don't care what went wrong. I beat the snot out of it until it works" - Clint Smith

(Montgomery County)

Quote Originally Posted by Direct Action Tactical View Post
    Could be a couple of different things, it's tough to tell without having a partner to watch what you are doing. You mentioned that it is a new handgun for you. It is possible that the sights are not correctly adjusted, which is more common than you think. Every firearm has a unique "personality" and two guns of the exact same make, model and caliber may throw rounds at two completely different spots. Based on what you are saying in your post, it sounds quite possible that your rear sight needs to be adjusted and when you stopped using it;

" and looked over the slide and front sight"

You hit center mass.

Again this is just a possibilty, it is also possible that you, the shooter, are causing the issue. In this case you should seek the cure rather than move the sights to adjust for a fundamentals problem.

Good Luck and Have Fun!
    Thanks very much. And yes, it's me, not the Glock. I say this because I've had a friend shoot it (who regularly shoots a Glock) and his shots were grouped around center. I also had the range master shoot it, and he too was on target. I'm coming from the CZ (as I mentioned) in 9mm, a SIG P229 in .40 S&W, and a SIG P229 in .45 ACP. All of those other pistols have a very different trigger. Initially, I thought: "Hey, I'm the only one that's going to shoot the Glock, so bump the sights over a bit, and call it a day". Now though, I'm more inclinded to work it out.
    Last edited by marks; June 5th, 2010 at 09:29 AM.

(Montgomery County)

Quote Originally Posted by Hawk View Post
    It could be the trigger on the Glock. You could be pushing the pistol to the left as you press the trigger. Try slowing down your trigger press (very slow) and see what happens. Bench it and do the same. If on the bench it shoots POA=POI then it has to be you. It takes some time for people to transition to a trigger system like on the Glock.
    Yes, it's me. It (the Glock) has a very different trigger feel/snap than my CZ or my two SIGs. So, yes - good advice, thank you. I think I'll just keep at it and try your suggestion to be *very* slow on the trigger pull.

Mark

(Monroe County)

You liked what I posted here is the the whole book I took it from.

http://www.google.com/url?sa=t&sourc...Dpg1YAtyAeeV1A
    Owner Trigger Time LLc 01 FFL/NFA Saylorsburg, PA. Sales/Service/Transfers/Training
    NRA CRSO/Pistol/Rifle/Shotgun inst. BSA Rifle/Shotgun Merit badge counselor. US Navy Marksmanship Team Staff

(Montgomery County)

Quote Originally Posted by Rosco the Iroc View Post
    You liked what I posted here is the the whole book I took it from.

http://www.google.com/url?sa=t&sourc...Dpg1YAtyAeeV1A
    Excellent! Thank you very much.