Pennsylvania Firearm Owners Association
Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123
    (Bucks County)

Default Re: I bought a Ithaca knock off made in China.

Quote Originally Posted by keystoneman 85 View Post
    I'd take my Hawk 982 over a Remy 870 any day ...
    oh really?

(Berks County)

Quote Originally Posted by den9 View Post
    oh really?

Oh really is right! Why would I want a 28" barrel, crappy sighting system, and 16 ga in a home defense gun? I'll take my 18.5", 12 GA, with ghost ring sights any day. Now when it comes to hunting I'll take a Benelli or Beretta.

*Not knocking the 870 its a very popular and well built gun. But for most of my usage it doesn't fit. I think the hawk from the box is a much better HD gun and for bird/waterfowl hunting well, I have better options there too.

**PS - I do own a 870 but its my dedicated slug gun for NY and certain areas of PA deer seasons.

den9 wrote - i would still like to see pictures of this gun, i can bet the steel and wood is junk. i dont care if it operates smoother than the ithaca, it will not in anyway be a better gun.

its like buying a breitling, sure a 30 dollar timex will do the same damn thing.

456 - No one saying that its better then a Ithaca. What I'm saying is that it works like a Ithaca and feels like one, not only is it smooth in operation its accurate and function able and points well. Almost all the features you like about the Ithaca but $200 cheaper. So far the only flaw I found in the shotgun is the loading ports sides are sharp I taped the edges and that problems is solved.

I am so impressed with the Chinese shotgun that my 8 shot combat shotgun is in the safe I like the Chinese Ithaca so well it the designated home defense shotgun, this sucker smooth and fast like a Ithaca.

Now it is a Combat Shotgun with rifle sights for slugs or shots. It came with a quality black fiberglass stock and sling rings on the stock and mag cap. I posted a picture with my other guns.
    So there is no crappy wood the steel is blue and seemly good quality just some sharp edges that need rounding off. This the best $100 I ever spent, I have air soft guns that cost $100+.

A timex does keep time just as well, you just don't have bragging rights. Same thing with the Chinese Ithaca.
    Last edited by Neko456; July 21st, 2010 at 08:47 AM.

(Indiana County)

From a dealer and gunsmith point of view, good luck with your chi-com commercially made in a substandard factory of questionable materials for Americans only shotgun.

The SKS and other mil-type guns for the American market were essentially military guns made in military factories by the same slave labor making military issue firearms. In other words, the military stuff was held to a higher standard. Commercial made chi-com guns do not have a good track record, period. Find an honest dealer that tried selling those coach guns the Chinese were putting out there and ask them. The "U-Fix-Em" specials in the back of flyers from SOG are normally filled with piles of Chinese guns that are busted in one way or the other.

I'm not trying to bust on you or anyone that thinks a chi-com knock off is the cats ass, I am just giving an honest to goodness opinion based on actual experience, not a dealers candy coated sales pitch.

As for ripping on other guns because of barrel length, sights, ect... Shotguns used in a hall way at home for SD are point and shoot, so cheapo ghostring sights are of no concern to me, just a dealer selling point. 18" rifle sighted Remington, Mossberg and Win barrels can be had at just about any show for well under $100.
    Finally, if you are using a $100 Chinese shotgun for home defense, I really hope you never need to use it.

Good luck to you.

(Jefferson County)

Quote Originally Posted by den9 View Post
    i would still like to see pictures of this gun, i can bet the steel and wood is junk. i dont care if it operates smoother than the ithaca, it will not in anyway be a better gun.

its like buying a breitling, sure a 30 dollar timex will do the same damn thing.
    If its made by Norinco, mostly likely the receiver and bolt steel is 5100 series. ....which is better then any other manufacturer on the planet. Norinco uses 5100 carbon steel, no other company does. Its stronger than other gun steels, also harder - it takes special tooling to work with. But since Chinese state labor is cheap, and that they make their own tooling bits, they can afford to use the best grade of gun steel.

Their finishing isn't the best for sure, same with their wood. But you wont break the action.

You can look around the internet if you doubt this info. Clark Custom lists the Norc 1911 as one of the few platforms for the 460 Rowland conversion. Norc's M14/M1A is also 5100 series, and so are the Norc 870 knock-offs.

Now we all dont like China for their political viewpoint, nor for their other junk, but sometimes there is a rose amongst the pile of junk.
    RIP: SFN, 1861, twoeggsup, Lambo, jamesjo, JayBell, 32 Magnum, Pro2A, mrwildroot, dregan, Frenchy, Fragger, ungawa, Mtn Jack, Grapeshot, R.W.J., PennsyPlinker, Statkowski, Deanimator, roland, aubie515

Don't end up in my signature!

(Berks County)

Quote Originally Posted by knight0334 View Post

Now we all dont like China for their political viewpoint, nor for their other junk, but sometimes there is a rose amongst the pile of junk.
    Norinco, IAC, Hawk - all the same shotgun. Here is what mine looked like prior to me adding the Houge stuff.

Here is the Houge Overmolded stock and foreend I installed - they really make the shotgun feel so much better.

39flathead - Finally, if you are using a $100 Chinese shotgun for home defense, I really hope you never need to use it.

456 - Thanks for the warning. But this particular shotgun was bought and sold at a army surplus store that service lots of war Vets. He only had 30 in the store they sold out within a month because of the reliability and testing of the shotgun by Vets and people buying it. I agree for a $180 you can buy a 500 or Winchester and have a good shotgun, I have one but it does not give you slick feel and handling of this Chinese knock off that feels like a $400 Ithaca. I don't just listen to what people say and use it for a Home defense this shotgun has been well tested with one exception I have not done the Ithaca hold the trigger and pump the slide and it fires test. But I have put 100s of shotgun rounds through it and it performed well slugs and shots. Like my Moss 500 it will be backed up by my home defense pistol which gets me to my AR rifle. I still like this $100 purchase. I hope I never have to use any of these fine weapons, but if I do 1st it will be the Chi Ithaca if I can get to it.
    Probably the pistol oh my!
    Last edited by Neko456; July 23rd, 2010 at 09:28 AM.

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123