Pennsylvania Firearm Owners Association
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
    (Northampton County)

Default new gun for my wife

My wife is thinking of getting a LTCF but she does not know which gun is better for her. She has problems with her left hand b/c of a car accident she had a few years ago. She needs a gun that is easy to carry and reload. Any suggestions?
    KEEP LIVING...KEEP DOING...KEEP SHOOTING

(Bucks County)

Default Re: new gun for my wife

glock 19 or i believe it's the 26 that's the real small 9mm............... that's my recommendation..............if you want something with a safety, get one of the compact 1911 9mm............
    Retired LEO, FFL Holder

(York County)

Beretta .32 tomcat seems to be a hit with the ladys. I pocket carry my wifes alot when I'm not wearing a belt or in the summer.

(Northampton County)

What about revolvers? She barely use her left arm because it got no strength and I think she won't be able to reload a pistol mag, basically, using just one hand. I never had a revolver but I want to know if is better to reload and aim.
    KEEP LIVING...KEEP DOING...KEEP SHOOTING

(Centre County)

Quote Originally Posted by species0113 View Post
    Beretta .32 tomcat seems to be a hit with the ladys. I pocket carry my wifes alot when I'm not wearing a belt or in the summer.
    I was thinking more of Beretta 84FS.
    Very well made dependable small gun. 380Auto is stronger then 32.
    But i perfer at least 9mm for selfdefence tho.

I myself have bought S&W 3913 for my gf. she loves it. My GF is 4-10 petite girl with practically no hand strength(heaviest thing she ever hold is like TV remote.), yet she can still pull DA trigger fairly easily. She does have issue with loading 8th round in to mag, however. Or you can get 36LS, which will be alot easier to load even for weak hand(may have an issue with DA trigger pull tho)

I think small revolver or single stack DA/SA would be safest bet

My personal opinion, but i believe any Glock is not perticuerly great gun for first timer, because of trigger. They are safest to carry with one in tube, as long as your not touching the trigger. But with trigger being almost as light as single action, and have no manuall safety, unless your trined with it, I do not recommend any glock for first time carry.

I know of at least one guy who almost shot hit foot with Glock 22. He was security at this werehouse. Where which several guys broke in night. in the fear, panic and excitement, appearently he touched trigger little too firm.

I guess thug heard the gunshot, and took off. And he shot sawing machine
    Last edited by Mity2; October 6th, 2007 at 11:02 PM.
    Audemus jura nostra defendere

(Pike County)

Is she left handed? If so, Charter Arms has a fully lefty 38 snub out. Try to hit a range with gun rentals and try them out, see what she is able to shoot the best. My mother has had surgery on her right index finger, and has trouble with triggers, and also pulling back slides on autos. Lite trigger pulls on her 38 snub and 22 auto are a great help. The 22 is a Taurus PT22, and the tip up barrel so that she doesn't need to pull the slide back is great for her.

(Lawrence County)

Well, the easiest guns to reload are double stack autos......relaoding a revo one handed would really suck. Really suck.

Glocks and 1911's can have trigger pulls at 3lbs with minimal work. A 1911 can be sprung down to almost nothing when using as shock buff. Or...you could fit a slide racker to a 1911 easily.

Lycanmy$0.02thrope

I taught Chuck Norris to bump-fire.

Revolvers are great. Easy to load. Lightweight and small.
    BUT a snub like mine .38spcl will kick your hand like a mule. Pure agony if you use hollows. Not for a woman who has problem hands. This gun is okay to carry for protection but not for the range.
    Check out Springfield XD .9mm Sub compact. Thats the gun I have. The recoil is so slight, you can shoot it with one hand and still have control. Its also weighted nicely. Its small, lightweight and easily concealed. Its a fun gun and no pain. And you get 2 mags, 10 shot and 16 shot, so you have a choice with the mags. So there is the option if you want a slightly longer grip. And the safety features are great. You can pull the trigger all day long with one in the pipe, and the gun won't fire. You must also press the grip safety to fire.
    I've had surgery on both my hands and this gun is fabulous for me. Maybe you wife should try it.
    If your coming to the shoot next Sunday, your wife is welcome to shoot/try my gun.
    Just a females point of view from personal experience

(Allegheny County)

ElBori01,
    Can you describe the hand limitations a bit more? Is she right handed?

If she's right handed, and has little use of her left hand, an automatic may be tough to operate. My wife had a very hard time pulling back the slide on most autos, but she found the Glock to be easier to work and that's the one we ended up with.
    We had also considered a revolver for her, but the heavy trigger pull was difficult for her as well. We almost went with a Beretta with a tip-up barrel, as this would eliminate the need to pull back the slide... just tip the barrel up, insert a round, close the barrel, insert a mag, and the gun is ready to go.

Good luck with your search!
    I called to check my ZIP CODE!....DY-NO-MITE!!!

(Delaware County)

Quote Originally Posted by Emptymag View Post
    ElBori01,
    We almost went with a Beretta with a tip-up barrel, as this would eliminate the need to pull back the slide... just tip the barrel up, insert a round, close the barrel, insert a mag, and the gun is ready to go.
    I have a Tomcat and like it. Granted it's a .32 and not what most people consider to be a large enough round for self defense. I've checked the specs on 65gr hyra-shoks and found it to be equal to the .380 round (+/-). A few well placed rounds would surely ruin a bad guys day! It's light, easy to load, SA/DA and with the tip up barrel, no slide to rack. Extremely concealable and small enough to carry an extra pre-loaded mag. Definately worth a look.
    My choice in a revolver would be the S&W 642.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast