Pennsylvania Firearm Owners Association
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Default Issue with new 1911, firing pin stop is stuck

I bought a new PT1911 yesterday, and went about detail stripping it to get all the factory gunk out. All was well until I got to the firing pin stop, it would not budge, it was stuck in the slide really good. I managed to tap it out with a punch and hammer, and finishing up my cleaning. Now, it will not go back in the slide no matter what I do.

It feels like its binding up on the extractor, but even with the extractor removed it will not go in. I have tried everything short of taking a hammer to it and pounding it back in (I have tried giving it a couple taps, but no love). It goes in a fraction of an inch then just stops dead, seemingly around the area where the extractor is, or would be when I try to reinstall it with the extractor removed.

My guess is some kind of manufacturing defect in the slide, keeping the stop from going in or coming out smoothly. I really wouldn't want to take a file to my new gun, likewise, the idea of being without it for a month if I have to send it back before I even got to fire it doesn't sound too great either.

Any ideas?

Default Re: Issue with new 1911, firing pin stop is stuck

Ouch, I have a friend who has a Springfield Armory 1911 A1 standard and he ran 6000 rounds through it without a single problem. I did its function checks when it was new and all of its parts fit tightly, but not as tight as what you are describing. Do you think maybe there is a burr that is blocking the motion of the part?
    The M1. Smackin' the bastards since 1932.

I would look for a burr and file it down if you find one.

If there is no burr, look closely at what is binding and remove some material at that point. It could be too thick or too wide. The firing pin stop should go into place rather easily with the tension from the firing pin spring holding it in place.

I would remove the material from the firing pin stop, not the slide. Unless of course, the slide has a burr.

(Bucks County)

I'm a bit confused...Was this a new gun that you took apart before ever firing? I understand field stripping to get the oil out and clean it, but detail stripping it first thing?

If it was hard to get out, it will be hard to get back in.

-Zach

(Jefferson County)

Put a slight bevel on the leading edge of the firing pin stop. Then while you're trying to insert it, jimmy the extractor around a little. Sometimes extractors go in too far, or not enough, or slightly cock-eyed.
    RIP: SFN, 1861, twoeggsup, Lambo, jamesjo, JayBell, 32 Magnum, Pro2A, mrwildroot, dregan, Frenchy, Fragger, ungawa, Mtn Jack, Grapeshot, R.W.J., PennsyPlinker, Statkowski, Deanimator, roland, aubie515

Don't end up in my signature!

Quote Originally Posted by zachomega View Post
    I'm a bit confused...Was this a new gun that you took apart before ever firing? I understand field stripping to get the oil out and clean it, but detail stripping it first thing?

If it was hard to get out, it will be hard to get back in.

-Zach
    Yeah its a new gun I detail stripped. There was a ton of nasty looking grease packed in every nook and cranny, had to get it apart to clean and lube it.

Alright, got it in. Took some emery cloth to the stop and it dropped right in. Now onto the pics:

(Allegheny County)

Question Re: Issue with new 1911, firing pin stop is stuck

Quote Originally Posted by Galvatron View Post
    Alright, got it in. Took some emery cloth to the stop and it dropped right in. Now onto the pics:

Did you scratch the left side of the slide/frame and right rear of the slide during this whole debacle? I understood it was NIB, right?
    F*S=k

(Jefferson County)

Nice looking 1911.. Too bad Taurus has to put an entire billboard on them.
    RIP: SFN, 1861, twoeggsup, Lambo, jamesjo, JayBell, 32 Magnum, Pro2A, mrwildroot, dregan, Frenchy, Fragger, ungawa, Mtn Jack, Grapeshot, R.W.J., PennsyPlinker, Statkowski, Deanimator, roland, aubie515

Don't end up in my signature!

Quote Originally Posted by ScaredOnce View Post
    Did you scratch the left side of the slide/frame and right rear of the slide during this whole debacle? I understood it was NIB, right?
    I did the scratches on the rear of the slide, the ones on the side were already there. It was new but out on display in the shop. I don't really mind, its gonna just be a shooter anyway.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast