Pennsylvania Firearm Owners Association
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    (York County)

Default Out of state Military Licensing

Ok, I searched for the answer to my question but couldn't find what I was looking for. If this is a repost, a link would be appreciated.

I am an active duty servicemember who is currently stationed in Kansas, but still a PA resident. I am looking at getting a KS CC license, but I'm also wondering if it's possible to get a PA LTCF/CC license for when I go back home, and to have overlapping reciprocity for more east coast states (PA is not honored in KS, and KS is not honored in PA).

What is the procedure (forms, documents, etc.) that I need to acquire a PA CC license if I am out of state?

If it makes any difference, my home of record is in Dillsburg (York County).

Thanks for the help, I'm new to the CC deal, so any information you share is appreciated.

Default Re: Out of state Military Licensing

I would think that as long as you are still a PA resident, you could get your PA LTCF from the York County sheriff.

However, you must appear in person to pickup your LTCF, according to the sheriff's website. It looks like you can mail in your application, though.
    Last edited by HiredGoon; June 3rd, 2010 at 12:31 PM.

(Philadelphia County)

Quote Originally Posted by Andrew17019 View Post
    Ok, I searched for the answer to my question but couldn't find what I was looking for. If this is a repost, a link would be appreciated.

I am an active duty servicemember who is currently stationed in Kansas, but still a PA resident. I am looking at getting a KS CC license, but I'm also wondering if it's possible to get a PA LTCF/CC license for when I go back home, and to have overlapping reciprocity for more east coast states (PA is not honored in KS, and KS is not honored in PA).

What is the procedure (forms, documents, etc.) that I need to acquire a PA CC license if I am out of state?

Thanks for the help, I'm new to the CC deal, so any information you share is appreciated.
    I would get a Florida Non Resident Permit. All you need is a copy of your CAT card or DD214 for florida. Florida Non Resident is honored in Kansas and here in PA. You would also get DE, OHIO, and West Virginia to name a few states immediately bordering PA that you would be good in.

(Philadelphia County)

What state is your DL issued from? If you have left it in PA, then you should have no problem, because military service doesn't change residency. Contact your sheriff here in PA, and he will walk you through the process.

JUSTITIA ET VIRTUS

(York County)

Quote Originally Posted by gbrown221 View Post
    I would get a Florida Non Resident Permit. All you need is a copy of your CAT card or DD214 for florida. Florida Non Resident is honored in Kansas and here in PA. You would also get DE, OHIO, and West Virginia to name a few states immediately bordering PA that you would be good in.
    I'm looking into the FL one as well, most of my friends have a FL license. I would like to have a PA one as well, though. I'll look into contacting the sheriff to see if I can have it mailed registered mail or something like that, since I won't be back anytime soon to pick it up.

I still have a valid PA driver's license, so that should help too.

Thanks for the help, if anyone has any more ideas or info, I'm still all ears.

I have a few LTCF from different states because of my active duty service and Duty Stations.

In PA, I just show my Drivers license to renew...helps that I hang out with the Sheriff deputies and are child hood friends but thats all I do.

Second, the states where I was stationed, I took a copy of my orders assigning me to that installation within said state, photo ID, copy of lease/home purchase, utility bills etc...to prove I was actually renting in the county I was applying through. Have always had my permit the same day, no matter what state.

I was never stationed in Kansas so I don't know there system or procedure. I can only speak for GA and NC.

Good Luck,

CL

(Philadelphia County)

I'm looking into the FL one as well, most of my friends have a FL license. I would like to have a PA one as well, though. I'll look into contacting the sheriff to see if I can have it mailed registered mail or something like that, since I won't be back anytime soon to pick it up.

I still have a valid PA driver's license, so that should help too.

Thanks for the help, if anyone has any more ideas or info, I'm still all ears.
    If you get a PA LTCF on the basis of your PA DL you will still not be able to carry in Kansas and to my knowledge Kansas does not issue non resident licenses. With a Florida non license even being a PA resident it would be valid in PA and in Kansas while you are stationed out there. Kansas recently started accepting non resident licenses. particularly FL. Being millitary a Florida license would be your best route in my opinion.

Greg

Quote Originally Posted by gbrown221 View Post
    Being millitary a Florida license would be your best route in my opinion.
    I agree. All you would need is a photocopy of your military ID, fingerprint cards, filled application, and application fee (currently $117 for 7 years, $107 renewal).

You can get the application packet including fingerprint cards at http://licgweb.doacs.state.fl.us/weapons/index.html.

(Warren County)

I'm retired now, but was active duty when I applied for and received my LTCF/CC license. I was stationed at Dover AFB in Delaware and my legal state of residence was PA. As long as you've not changed your legal state of residence then it won't be a problem. Your drivers license will suffice, I used my that and my parents address which I kept as my legal residence up until I retired. You can print the forms off the web, but you will need to apply in person. Next time your home on leave, stop by the sheriffs office and they'll take care of you. Another reason not to change your residence is for state tax purposes. As long as your active duty military stationed outside the state of PA, you pay no state income tax on your military income. And if/when you retire from the military and move back to PA, they don't tax your retirement check either. Nice perk. Good luck and thanks for serving!

Tim USAF retired

Tim , USAF Ret.

(Bucks County)

Quote Originally Posted by chez323 View Post
    And if/when you retire from the military and move back to PA, they don't tax your retirement check either. Nice perk.
    Slight thread-drift:

- Do you have to retire from a duty station outside PA to get the PA-tax-free retirement check?

- Does this apply to Reserve retirements as well, or just AD?

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast