Pennsylvania Firearm Owners Association
Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast

Default What would you do in this Canine scenario?

Here is the scenario, there is a wire haired terrier and jack russel terrier mutt that lives on the corner of my street (weighs about 40 pounds), three doors up from me. This dog was a street dog from somewhere in Spain before my neighbors adopted it right of the street, the word is that they felt sorry for it. This animal is well known for its very territorial and aggressive behavior and has, on occasion been known to get out from owners yard. I have had several experiences over the past few years where the dog has escaped and attacked either me or my dog when I am walking her on a leash. I have not yet been bitten, but every time this happens, my dog or I come very close to being bitten. I happen to be very good with dogs and I know the signs of a full blown attack and whenever this happens, I see them. The owners were terrible at training their dog and are worse at controlling it. There are two children aged 13and 15 in this family and the dog has apparently shown no aggression with them. I am very loath to have to shoot the dog as I don't want to create bigger problems in the neighborhood and have people tell me what a horrible human I am for owning a gun, not to mention putting the kids through their dog being shot by the neighbor. I will shoot the thing if I have to, I would just rather OC it. I know PA has a law which allows a person to shoot an attacking or threatening dog in the defense of ones self, someone else or one's domestic animals. So I'm not worried about the legality, I just don't feel like dealing with the BS. So what would you do? Be creative

Please Guys, let try to keep this one civil. Not like the one in the news section about the guy who shot the Pit Bull.
    The M1. Smackin' the bastards since 1932.

(Chester County)

Default Re: What would you do in this Canine scenario?

Be a man and don't shoot the dog. Some dog owners respond with gun violence when someone shoots their dog for being a dog. You have legs yes? Kick the dog.

And good luck getting a civil conversation on a topic many people consider on an emotional par with abortion.
    Last edited by GlockedAndLoaded; June 3rd, 2010 at 01:52 AM.
    Great job!

(Chester County)

-FFS Pepper spray the dog.

-Bake it a fucking meat cake and bring it with you to throw him when he gets close.

-Dress like scooby fucking doo so he thinks you're a doggy friend.

-Wear a PETA shirt so he thinks you're on his side.

-Coat yourself repeatedly with a horrible smelling liquid so he stays away.

-Don't go outside!

-Carry a fully lit torch so you can wave the fire at him when he gets close.

-Open Carry a whip and whip at the dog yelling YAHH YAHH.

-Bring a smoke grenade to cover your escape if the dog rushes you.

-Put a treadmill in your car, have your dog walk on the tread mill and DRIVE past their place.

-Be a ninja.

-Wear fucking scale mail over your genitals and throat.

-Build a rocket pack for you and your dog so you can float a foot or two above the ground.

-Move.

-Get the dog on doggy xanax.

-Trade your money for three magic beans and go to a magical land.

-Walk another way; this isn't the last boss of a dungeon guarding a mystical golden shield you really need to fully gear out your 20th level warrior I assume.

I swear am I the only one who has been attacked by dogs and just kicked them? I'm not going to blow a .45 size hole in a dogs head unless he has active rabies. Maybe I'm fucking Jean Claude Van Dam. Who knows.

*does a spinning crescent kick*
    Great job!

(Lycoming County)

Quote Originally Posted by GlockedAndLoaded View Post
    -FFS Pepper spray the dog.
    I have to agree with this ^^^...If it's only 40 pounds (not that life threatening) just hit it with some pepper spray....

Quote Originally Posted by SCBaldr View Post
    Here is the scenario, there is a wire haired terrier and jack russel terrier mutt that lives on the corner of my street (weighs about 40 pounds), three doors up from me. This dog was a street dog from somewhere in Spain before my neighbors adopted it right of the street, the word is that they felt sorry for it. This animal is well known for its very territorial and aggressive behavior and has, on occasion been known to get out from owners yard. I have had several experiences over the past few years where the dog has escaped and attacked either me or my dog when I am walking her on a leash. I have not yet been bitten, but every time this happens, my dog or I come very close to being bitten. I happen to be very good with dogs and I know the signs of a full blown attack and whenever this happens, I see them. The owners were terrible at training their dog and are worse at controlling it. There are two children aged 13and 15 in this family and the dog has apparently shown no aggression with them. I am very loath to have to shoot the dog as I don't want to create bigger problems in the neighborhood and have people tell me what a horrible human I am for owning a gun, not to mention putting the kids through their dog being shot by the neighbor. I will shoot the thing if I have to, I would just rather OC it. I know PA has a law which allows a person to shoot an attacking or threatening dog in the defense of ones self, someone else or one's domestic animals. So I'm not worried about the legality, I just don't feel like dealing with the BS. So what would you do? Be creative

Please Guys, let try to keep this one civil. Not like the one in the news section about the guy who shot the Pit Bull.

Have you tried talking to the owners?

Have you filed a complaint with Animal Control or the Police?

If so, have you documented the "attacks" and given said documentation to the police?

-You will need documentation to show that this dog is a danger to the public if you want Animal Control or the Police to actually take action. And get neighbors involved too. If there are enough people making legitimate complaints against the same dog, then it would show a pattern of behavior. It would not be in Animal Control or the Police's best interest to ignore it.

But first you should talk to the owner and try to get them to see where you are coming from. Talk to him and write a formal letter detailing your complaint. Keep a copy and add it to any formal complaint that you may file with the police. It will show that you attempted to solve the problem privately.

NOT A LAWYER, just advice that I think is reasonable. May be a little disorganized.
    Last edited by ksig1869; June 3rd, 2010 at 02:44 AM. Reason: grammar

(Franklin County)

I agree with pepper spray and calling the authorities........
    In God We Trust............................

(Clinton County)

Get a bigger very protective Dog.
    The right of the citizens to bear arms in defense of themselves and the State shall not be questioned.

(Montgomery County)

If the dog isn't biteing approach it caesar (dog whisperer) style. if that doesn't work construct a field goal and test your punting skills. Pepper spray sounds cool too.

(Delaware County)

Popping a pit bull will leave you with some allies (justified or not) because of their reputation as killer dogs. Popping a Jack Russel will likely lead to endless woe. They have a reputation for being rambunctious rather than vicious. I'm not saying that this particular one is not vicious, it's just that you will be faced with people who will not believe this behavior from a Jack Russel. Also, 40 lbs. sounds like it's a bit tubby for a Jack Russel; they're considered to be a smaller breed than a pit bull, shepherd, rottweiler, etc. No matter the confrontation, you would be looked at has having shot the equivalent of a French Poodle.
    Know your audience. Don't try to sell a Prius at a Monster Truck Rally.

(Monroe County)

ive known a couple nasty jack russels and agree with the pepper spray. years ago my father also had a similar problem with neighbors letting their dogs out and the dogs would come on our property and try to break into the rabbit hutch.

My father called the dog warden and he said to do 1 of 2 things. Either shoot them in the ass with a bb gun (cuz it was on our property) or carry a squirt bottle with ammonia water in it and spray them in the face. The ammonia worked.

Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast