Pennsylvania Firearm Owners Association
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
    (Pike County)

Default Training with an Air Pistol?

When I was out this past weekend I saw a sale on a Crossman C11 so I decided to buy one. It's a fun pistol to shoot with and best of all I can shoot it in my backyard. Do you think this type of weapon can aid me in learning how to shoot a real pistol, thoughts? Thanks.
    Sanity, yours if you can keep it.....

(Lycoming County)

Default Re: Training with an Air Pistol?

Yeah, it will help you... and since there is pretty much no recoil or noise you wont develope a flinch..

(Pike County)

Quote Originally Posted by 45=id View Post
    Yeah, it will help you... and since there is pretty much no recoil or noise you wont develope a flinch..
    Yeah thats something I am still learning to overcome.

(Lawrence County)

Any mindful trigger time is good trigger time.

Keep your eyes open and watch the front sight.

Learn the trigger pull and challenge yourself with harder shots over time.

Lycanandhavefunthrope

I taught Chuck Norris to bump-fire.

(Monroe County)

Quote Originally Posted by LifeInPa View Post
    When I was out this past weekend I saw a sale on a Crossman C11 so I decided to buy one. It's a fun pistol to shoot with and best of all I can shoot it in my backyard. Do you think this type of weapon can aid me in learning how to shoot a real pistol, thoughts? Thanks.
    i have that same one in airsoft and regardless of what anyone says opposing it, it will most certainly help you with proper shooting technique. helps a lot with point shooting too.(and no, i dont mean pointing your finger to aim, lol)

I saw one of those in Kmart the other day and wondered the same thing. My thoughts too were that a flinch free shot is a good shot and it'd be a handy tool to utilize in the evening when the kids are asleep and I can't be on a range. That, plus dry firing can only help right?

(Pike County)

Quote Originally Posted by Lycanthrope View Post
    Any mindful trigger time is good trigger time.

Keep your eyes open and watch the front sight.

Learn the trigger pull and challenge yourself with harder shots over time.

Lycanandhavefunthrope
    Quote Originally Posted by CHEMICAL View Post
    i have that same one in airsoft and regardless of what anyone says opposing it, it will most certainly help you with proper shooting technique. helps a lot with point shooting too.(and no, i dont mean pointing your finger to aim, lol)
    Quote Originally Posted by Chip W View Post
    I saw one of those in Kmart the other day and wondered the same thing. My thoughts too were that a flinch free shot is a good shot and it'd be a handy tool to utilize in the evening when the kids are asleep and I can't be on a range. That, plus dry firing can only help right?
    Thanks for the comments guys. By now between me, my father, and my friend we put a few hundred BB's (400+) through this pistol and here are my impressions. Compared to a firearm it has limited range. I would say this air pistol maximum effective range in our hands of about 25-30 feet. Which for beginners is enough. Second I think as the CO2 cylinder wears down the BB's flight path differs somewhat. If I stay within the 20-30 feet range this negative effect is greatly reduced. Third I noticed the barrel in this pistol is not rifled, which lowers the accuracy.

Overall though I think this air pistol was a good buy. My understanding on how to properly hold and aim the pistol has come along nicely in the past week and this pistol is fun to shoot. I am using 1 Liter/1 Quart empty Seltzer bottles as targets. The BB's don't have enough power to penetrate these plastic bottles (But man this pistol destroys tin soda cans) so they have unlimited use. I keep 6 in a bag and place them on a flat rock I have in my back yard. So I am going to try and practice at least once a week with it, more now that the weather is nice. Hopefully soon I will buy a .22 pistol and I can take my learning experience to the next level.

In closing I recommend the C11 for those who want more practice but can't get out to the range all the time. I bought myself 6000 brass BB's for $5 and I got 25 CO2 cylinders for $10. One CO2 cylinder last for 100+ shots. But do yourself a favor buy yourself a few extra magazines because 18 shots sounds a lot but you go through those BB's fast.
    Last edited by LifeInPa; June 4th, 2010 at 08:33 PM.

Any shooting will help. I've been shooting for well over 50 years and I still have a hell of a lot of fun with an old Red Ryder BB gun.

(Pike County)

Quote Originally Posted by thanker92 View Post
    Any shooting will help. I've been shooting for well over 50 years and I still have a hell of a lot of fun with an old Red Ryder BB gun.
    I was always curious about those pump action air rifles, how many pumps does it take to get it to fire at it's maximum velocity? Also do you have to pump after each shot?

(Allegheny County)

I bought a C11 for my youngest daughter. I like it as far as power and accuracy is concerned. I HATE the magazine though. You'll see what I'm talking about....
    http://forum.pafoa.org/image.php?type=sigpic&userid=22341&dateline=139092  6582

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast