Pennsylvania Firearm Owners Association
    (Northampton County)

Default How many rounds in a hunting rifle?

I am thinking of grabing a 6 shot lever action Marlin 45.70. How many rounds can your rifle legally hold to hunt in Pa? Can I load it with less rounds or does it have to be plugged? Is it possible to switch it to less rounds for hunting?

Default Re: How many rounds in a hunting rifle?

Quote Originally Posted by FloridaState View Post
    I am thinking of grabing a 6 shot lever action Marlin 45.70. How many rounds can your rifle legally hold to hunt in Pa? Can I load it with less rounds or does it have to be plugged? Is it possible to switch it to less rounds for hunting?
    http://www.pgc.state.pa.us/portal/se...unity/pgc/9106

(Berks County)

What sporting arm can be used while you hunt depends on where you plan to hunt, the season and on the game you are hunting. For some game such a rifle can't be used at all, for other it's fine and capacity isn't an issue.

The same digest with a summary of the regulations that you are given when you get your hunting license is available here as a PDF.

(Monroe County)

Look at the game commission website

www.pgc.state.pa.us

Rifles must be MANUALLY operated CENTER FIRE only (Bolt/lever/pump action or single shot, NO SEMI AUTOS) SHOTGUNS used for deer/bear hunting MUST be manually operated and do NOT have to be plugged. Only certain counties allow the use of buckshot in shotguns, most counties are single projectile ammunition only. The only time rim fires can be used is on small game.

The only long guns I know that has to be limited in capacity is a SHOTGUN for small game and birds INCLUDING TURKEY (MUST be Plugged to 3 shot capacity, 2 in the mag tube 1 in the chamber) You must have it plugged or the PGC will have a field day with you. Ive been hunting in PA since I was 11 and Ive seen people get their ass handed to them in the field because they didnt have a plugged shotgun.

Basically if that 45-70 is for Big game you are fine (as long as it is a season that allows use of center fire rifles) Your best bet so you can study the laws is go anywhere that sells hunting licenses and ask for a copy of the hunting rules and regs book.

(Bucks County)

As many as it can hold...guys w/ old enfields can fit ten...

(Northampton County)

So a Marlin 45.70 lever guide gun would be fine? I am looking for a bear defense gun for when im up north and figure I could justify it more if it also happens to be legal to hunt with in Pa.

How does a 45.70 compare to a .308 or 30.06 ballistically?

(Jefferson County)

So a Marlin 45.70 lever guide gun would be fine? I am looking for a bear defense gun for when im up north and figure I could justify it more if it also happens to be legal to hunt with in Pa.

How does a 45.70 compare to a .308 or 30.06 ballistically?
    Yes, it would be legal.

45-70 = 300 to 720gr slugs. Velocity range 1200 to 2400fps, energy 1400 to 3600ftlbs, all depending on loads. 45-70's trajectory drop pretty fast, but at short ranges they can be pretty devastating even with the lessor loads. Even at longer ranges the heavy slugs can do quite well if you know how to arc them.
    RIP: SFN, 1861, twoeggsup, Lambo, jamesjo, JayBell, 32 Magnum, Pro2A, mrwildroot, dregan, Frenchy, Fragger, ungawa, Mtn Jack, Grapeshot, R.W.J., PennsyPlinker, Statkowski, Deanimator, roland, aubie515

Don't end up in my signature!

(Northampton County)

Looks like im going to grab a 5+1 marlin guide gun for deer season. It seems like its the best choice for deer and bear. Does anyone know how a 45.70 compares to a 12 guage 3 inch magnum slug? Does one hit harder? It seems like the 45.70 would penetrate better. This also looks like a good rifle to take camping while on foot. I carry a big pack and can fit it in there nicely.

My other choice was an M1A socom but I dont think a .308 will save me from a griz out of state. And I also deff. cant hunt with the socom.

(Berks County)

Looks like im going to grab a 5+1 marlin guide gun for deer season. It seems like its the best choice for deer and bear. Does anyone know how a 45.70 compares to a 12 guage 3 inch magnum slug? Does one hit harder? It seems like the 45.70 would penetrate better. This also looks like a good rifle to take camping while on foot. I carry a big pack and can fit it in there nicely.

My other choice was an M1A socom but I dont think a .308 will save me from a griz out of state. And I also deff. cant hunt with the socom.
    From looking at the Marlin website it looks like 45-70 is a 4 shot tubular mag, not 5. For me in Pennsylvania, I would choose 30-30 (6 shot mag) which I have and like very much. In most of PA you won't be taking more than a 100 yard shot and Bambi drops just fine with a 30.

Then, when the day would come when I had the inclination and money to go somewhere to think Griz, then I would have a good excuse to consider another sporting arm.
    Last edited by twoeggsup; June 3rd, 2010 at 10:32 PM.