Pennsylvania Firearm Owners Association
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    (Allegheny County)

Default New PA resident, originally from Kalifornistan.

Hey guys, great boards.

I'm originally from Los Angeles, California. As you can imagine, I'm used to some pretty ridiculous gun laws out there. I'm moving to Pittsburgh in August, and I had a few questions regarding laws etc...

1. I have a Utah CCW permit that has double reciprocity for PA. I have recently been told that my Utah CCW permit is not valid if I am a resident of PA. Of course, I am planning on obtaining my PA CCW with the Allegheny County Sheriff's Department as soon as I can, but I was wondering what sort of "lay-period" I have where my Utah CCW will be valid even though I'm a resident? People tell me it's anywhere from 30 days to 6 months. I just wanted a solid number from someone in the know.

2. What sort of "Assault Rifle" laws are there? I have been told that automatic weapons are only "partially" restricted (...uhhh...). I own an AR-15 (yes, even California has it's loopholes) and I would love to be able to sell it in California so I can buy something a little more PA-friendly when I get out here.

3. What's the law on handgun/rifle magazines exceeding 10 rounds?

Forgive my ignorance gentlemen. I was able to find some information here and there, and I used the search function (perhaps poorly), but I figured this would be a good way to get my questions answered. I'm a law-abiding citizen who can't risk any sort of blemish on his record, so I'm trying to make sure I do everything legit.

Thanks again, and thanks for having me on these boards.

(Allegheny County)

Default Re: New PA resident, originally from Kalifornistan.

Oh boy, scratch question number two. No excuses, I totally skipped over the NFA subsection of the firearms forum. My apologies.

(Jefferson County)

Quote Originally Posted by Thindy View Post
    Hey guys, great boards.

I'm originally from Los Angeles, California. As you can imagine, I'm used to some pretty ridiculous gun laws out there. I'm moving to Pittsburgh in August, and I had a few questions regarding laws etc...

1. I have a Utah CCW permit that has double reciprocity for PA. I have recently been told that my Utah CCW permit is not valid if I am a resident of PA. Of course, I am planning on obtaining my PA CCW with the Allegheny County Sheriff's Department as soon as I can, but I was wondering what sort of "lay-period" I have where my Utah CCW will be valid even though I'm a resident? People tell me it's anywhere from 30 days to 6 months. I just wanted a solid number from someone in the know.

2. What sort of "Assault Rifle" laws are there? I have been told that automatic weapons are only "partially" restricted (...uhhh...). I own an AR-15 (yes, even California has it's loopholes) and I would love to be able to sell it in California so I can buy something a little more PA-friendly when I get out here.

Forgive my ignorance gentlemen. I was able to find some information here and there, and I used the search function (perhaps poorly), but I figured this would be a good way to get my questions answered. I'm a law-abiding citizen who can't risk any sort of blemish on his record, so I'm trying to make sure I do everything legit.

Thanks again, and thanks for having me on these boards.
    Welcome to Pennsylvania.

1. Not true. Its valid unless UT's law says otherwise, and since they issue non-resident licenses I doubt their law invalidates it.

2. None.

3. None

Even though PA is in the north-east, our laws are far from the typical mindless crap that you get in NJ, NY, MD, MA, CT, RI.. PA is more like a cross between VT and TX.
    Last edited by knight0334; June 2nd, 2010 at 08:16 PM.
    RIP: SFN, 1861, twoeggsup, Lambo, jamesjo, JayBell, 32 Magnum, Pro2A, mrwildroot, dregan, Frenchy, Fragger, ungawa, Mtn Jack, Grapeshot, R.W.J., PennsyPlinker, Statkowski, Deanimator, roland, aubie515

Don't end up in my signature!

(Adams County)

I don't know about the Utah permit thing, but in PA it's called a LTCF, License to Carry Firearms. I'm telling you because some people are pretty rough if you call it a permit.

As for assault rifles, I don't know that PA has any laws. The normal definition is a rifle with a hi-cap mag that has fewer than three US made parts. I don't know if this applies here. As with any full auto firearm, you need the $200 tax stamp, but they are not outlawed. Semi autos have no laws restricting them.

And, there is no magazine limit in PA. That's why we can carry handguns with 16+1.

Also, there is no need to hold a LTCF for open carry in PA. Open carry is considered your 2A right. You need a LTCF for concealed carry. I'm sure some P-burgh folks will chime in as to the process there. Some counties push the whole 45 days, but others are pretty relaxed.

Hope this helps, and welcome to freedom.
    I carry a gun cause a cop is too heavy. Hippie and 3%er.

(Allegheny County)

I got my LTCF in Allegheny County last month, took a week. Read the instructions carefully so you don't have any paperwork glitches. You turn in the application, and they send you a yellow postcard when you are approved. You must bring the postcard to their office in person to pay the $25 fee and pick up your LTCF. However, some people have waited a few weeks.

Welcome to Pittsburgh!

(Monroe County)

PA LTCF (License To Carry Firearms) covers you for concealed carry, carry in a vehicle and carry in a city of the first class (Philadelphia), some counties take a week to give you a LTCF others will take the FULL 45 days. As far as your UTAH permit, I cant answer that as I do NOT know.

NONE! Gotta love that

There are none unless you are hunting with a shotgun for things like squirrel and pheasant where the capacity must be restricted to 3 rounds (also no semi auto rifles for hunting). Otherwise you can have a 100 round drum mag on your semi auto AR/AK and whatever size mag you choose in your handguns and extended mag tubes on shotguns to your hearts content. ( I do not know laws on full autos,even though I dont think you have one, I felt it important I mention that)

(Northampton County)

Quote Originally Posted by SteveinNEPA View Post
    (I do not know laws on full autos,even though I dont think you have one, I felt it important I mention that)
    No additional restrictions. Commonwealth law is there, but but mirrors NFA, and NFA compliance is a defense.

Sir, Welcome to PA. You will find a new freedom that few in this country fhave experienced, from certain states that is. You will not see an over abundance of police like you do in Cali/LA. PA LE does not follow the LE model of arrest for every little infraction, to include jay walking/spitting on sidewalk etc...very few cops would truly care.

PA is very free with the laws here pertaining to firearms. For Example: You can carry a gun into anyplace that sells alcohol and get completely snookered if you wish. Its legal. Not good practice but legal. You can OC without any License to Carry, Drivers license, State issued ID, Passport, or any other official government documents. Said carry can be with 1, 2, 3, or however many firearms you can carry, fully loaded and with as many Hi-Capacity magazines you can carry, if you wish, its legal.

You'll find people who truly don't care what you do as long as you don't hurt anyone else, ie, be left alone.
    You will find a hardy, hard working, blue collar mostly, industrious people heavily rooted in family, friends, and community. America started here and we take great pride in this fact. Some of the best food, culture, and people you'll find anywhere.
    Now, I won't mention stubborn cause I wouldn't want you to miss out on some hard won fun.

Again, welcome to PA and please, if you have any questions, just ask.

CL
    Last edited by customloaded; June 2nd, 2010 at 10:40 PM.

(Montgomery County)

First, welcome. It's going to feel great to be free.

Next, if you have any liberal tendencies that go along with the typical Californian - please leave them there .

1. I have a Utah CCW permit that has double reciprocity for PA. I have recently been told that my Utah CCW permit is not valid if I am a resident of PA.
    As others have mentioned, this is false. I am a resident of PA with both a valid Pennsylvania License to Carry Firearms and a valid Utah Concealed Firearms Permit. Your Utah CFP will cover you for CC while you're waiting on the PA LTCF, as well as carrying in a vehicle, among other things.

It's a good idea to keep your Utah CFP; it gives you CCW reciprocity with Ohio and Delaware. One of the things that royally sucks about our PA LTCF is that only one bordering state recognizes it - West Virginia. Renewing the Utah CFP is only $10 for 5 years anyway. Just make sure you update the Utah BCI with your new address - it's required.

Again, others have mentioned PA's lack of laws regulating "assault rifles". No magazine capacity restrictions, no telescoping stock restrictions, no bayonet lug restrictions, no flash hider restrictions... you get the idea. But why get rid of the AR-15 that you already have? You can remove the California-friendly "features", such as a Bullet Button if you have one installed.

ETA: Unless....you're selling it to fund full auto...

There is no law on magazine capacities. Carry as many or as few magazines as you want with as many rounds as you want. Freedom's pretty sweet, huh?
    Last edited by kcr121; June 2nd, 2010 at 11:41 PM.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast