Pennsylvania Firearm Owners Association
    (Wayne County)

Question Ammo for hunting

This year I will be hunting with my 30-06 instead of my 35 Rem and I purchased a box of Winchester 168 gr. Supreme Ballistic Silvertip at the recommendation of the gentleman at the gun store. I took the rifle out to the range and zeroed it in for 100 yards witch is rite were I'll be shooting, I am very impressed with the accuracy and grouping with this round. I spoke to someone I know and was told that a friend of his tried the same round and had trouble with the round fragmenting like a varmint round and destroying the deer. I did some research and found Winchester states the smaller caliper rounds do fragment but the larger calipers mushroom and hold together. When I spoke to my friend he said he was unsure of the caliper and bullet weight that was used by his friend. I went back and spoke to the store clerk whom I trust as honest and he said he uses the same round in his 30-06 and has no problems and said he has never had to track any deer he shot with this round they drop on the spot. Has any one had any experience with this round.

(Tioga County)

Default Re: Ammo for hunting

I load my own but use various bullets for time to time. the information you were given is correct. the lighter calibers will shatter on impact as they are designed to do. they are for use on small varmint. the 30 cal bullets you using will expand but retain their weight. Even with expansion, at short range unless you hit bone or something like it on a bradside shot your likely to get 100% penetration. I prefer 150 gr bullets for whitetail deer. Less damage and it still drops them with a well placed shot. Bullet placement is always the key to a clean kill.

The Winchester Ballistic Silvertip is actually a Nosler Ballistic Tip bullet. When they first came out they were very destructive as you'd lose all the meat in the end of the deer you hit. Nosler has since made the big game caliber bullets with thicker jackets and they're not nearly as destructive but you will still probably get a "bang flop!" reaction out of any deer you hit which is a good thing if you don't like tracking deer.

IMHO it's a good load you're using for it's intended purpose.
    I live in WV , but I visit my Mom-in-law in York PA 8 to 10 times a year. Can I get a "Tourist" visa?

(Venango County)

+1 to that....those should work very nicely for Whitetails....

Glock Pistols.......So simple a Caveman could fix them!

(Erie County)

The round is fine but I might suggest raising the 100 yard sight in about 1.5 inches. This will still give you kill zone accuracy under a hundred yards but significantly increase your overall range without having to holdover a deer should a longer shot present itself.

Consider that if you zero in at 100 yards you can expect a 7 inch drop at 250 yards. By raising the 100 yrd sight in +1.5 inches you should be at zero at 200 yards and only 3 inches low at 250. All well within the vitals if you simply aim at the vertical center of the deer.

(Berks County)

I use the Combined Tech Ballistic tip bullets in my 7mm-08 and I have no problem. I handload mine so I found the right load. I shoot a doe last year at 225 yards and the bullet mushroomed to just under 1 inch. The doe dropped and never moved.
    The truth shall set you free.

They can have my guns when they pry them from my cold dead hands

I can not wait until NJ sinks in the ocean and PA has ocean front property