Pennsylvania Firearm Owners Association
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Default 2 Important Lessons at the Range Today...

1) 12ga, as evidenced by the large asymmetrical bruise on my shoulder, is not something I want to shoot on a regular basis or keep as primary HD, and;
    2) I can hardly hit paper with my .38spl Smith 442 at 7 yards...and I don't understand why...

The uncomfortable snap is really starting to generate a nasty flinch, I went back to my Glock 27 (that’s .40 S&W for those keeping track) for some relief from the .38 and enjoyed the break. The fact that it has only a front blade sight (I'm having more vertical issues than horizontal) can't be helping but I'm at a loss here...what gives, I thought .38 was supposed to be manageable?
    How pissed are you gonna be if you die before the Zombie Apocalypse comes? - - IANAL

(Bucks County)

Default Re: 2 Important Lessons at the Range Today...

Do you have the stock grips on there? My fiance has a 342 which was too much to handle, until we put a hogue overmolded grip which is long enough to get your pinky on there.

(Philadelphia County)

Quote Originally Posted by emsjeep View Post
    1) 12ga, as evidenced by the large asymmetrical bruise on my shoulder, is not something I want to shoot on a regular basis or keep as primary HD, and;
    2) I can hardly hit paper with my .38spl Smith 442 at 7 yards...and I don't understand why...

The uncomfortable snap is really starting to generate a nasty flinch, I went back to my Glock 27 (that’s .40 S&W for those keeping track) for some relief from the .38 and enjoyed the break. The fact that it has only a front blade sight (I'm having more vertical issues than horizontal) can't be helping but I'm at a loss here...what gives, I thought .38 was supposed to be manageable?
    If the issue is pulling rounds down, more than likely it is a pinky deathlock that is causing the issue. If you are consistently high, then you are most likely anticipating recoil, and that is what is causing the problem. The G27 is snappy as all get out, and you should be replicating the issue with it, but if you aren't, then you need to practice alot with the .38, and get used to it.

When I was in the military, one of the 1911's they gave me for carry had no front sight on it, and I noticed it right before qualification. Luckily, we had done enough point of aim firing to get me through qualification, with that weapon (platoon leader told me to try it and if I didn't score expert, then I could switch weapons with someone). Start with some point of aim, to get used to the weapon, learn how it functions, then work on sighting in. Don't let it discourage you.

JUSTITIA ET VIRTUS

I presume you are shooting a snub nose (bc full size 38 spl don't kick that much) the snub nose 38spl takes some getting use to I know some police officers that can shoot their snubbie and qualify with it hitting the target at 25-30 yards and out. Most are like you and I only accurate with a snub nose out 15 yards and in. One of the things you need to try to do is don't try to hold the gun down or don't fight the recoil. Let it jump and return back to alignment.

The same with 12 gauge buck shots and other rounds is not bad but slugs are gonna hurt until you learn how to ride with them. I'd suggest rabbit loads 16 shot shotgun rounds then buck shot then slugs. If bird shots bruised you up I'm at a lost to why? Maybe you should try shooting from the hip its not hard to do with a shotgun unless the targets moving.

You came to the same conclusion I came to my PT-11 small 9mm is alot easier to shot then my solid steel 38spl snubbie. Some times we have to ride the horse that brought us to the dance. Meaning we have to use whats best for us your 40 cal Glock might just be the best gun for you. As it is with my 96.

Quote Originally Posted by Neko456 View Post
    I presume you are shooting a snub nose (bc full size 38 spl don't kick that much) the snub nose 38spl takes some getting use to I know some police officers that can shoot their snubbie and qualify with it hitting the target at 25-30 yards and out. Most are like you and I only accurate with a snub nose out 15 yards and in. One of the things you need to try to do is don't try to hold the gun down or don't fight the recoil. Let it jump and return back to alignment.

The same with 12 gauge buck shots and other rounds is not bad but slugs are gonna hurt until you learn how to ride with them. I'd suggest rabbit loads 16 shot shotgun rounds then buck shot then slugs. If bird shots bruised you up I'm at a lost to why? Maybe you should try shooting from the hip its not hard to do with a shotgun unless the targets moving.

You came to the same conclusion I came to my PT-11 small 9mm is alot easier to shot then my solid steel 38spl snubbie. Some times we have to ride the horse that brought us to the dance. Meaning we have to use whats best for us your 40 cal Glock might just be the best gun for you. As it is with my 96.

This is the 442:

We're only allowed to shoot slugs at the local public range, I'm ok with bird shot, but slug and 00 are punishing, more than I anticipated, the reduced recoil rounds are fine.
    How pissed are you gonna be if you die before the Zombie Apocalypse comes? - - IANAL

Quote Originally Posted by ExCopInPhilly View Post
    If the issue is pulling rounds down, more than likely it is a pinky deathlock that is causing the issue. If you are consistently high, then you are most likely anticipating recoil, and that is what is causing the problem. The G27 is snappy as all get out, and you should be replicating the issue with it, but if you aren't, then you need to practice alot with the .38, and get used to it.

When I was in the military, one of the 1911's they gave me for carry had no front sight on it, and I noticed it right before qualification. Luckily, we had done enough point of aim firing to get me through qualification, with that weapon (platoon leader told me to try it and if I didn't score expert, then I could switch weapons with someone). Start with some point of aim, to get used to the weapon, learn how it functions, then work on sighting in. Don't let it discourage you.
    Rounds are goin up and down and to the left. I haven't handled the Glock since I sent it to the factory about 4 months ago but it was much more accurate and comfortable than the little .38. At about 2-5 yards I seem to be ok with the .38 but more than that and I'm hitting the edges of the paper, high and low.

(Allegheny County)

For the 12 Gauge: SpecOps of CompStock stock from BlackHawk

I have the SpecOps and LOVE IT - I can shoot 00 buck, slugs all day long with no pain. If the CompStock would have been out I might have gotten that at the time.
    FNX-9 Two-tone

(Washington County)

What kind of 12ga are you shooting? What kind of loads?

I found that I could only really stand a few rounds out of a light hunting model, like a single shot break action. Not enough mass to dampen recoil. You could also try a slip on recoil pad, which you could later replace with a full installed recoil pad if it does the job for you.

(Allegheny County)

for the 12ga...

make sure you are pulling the gun tight back into your shoulder...and leaning into it. it sounds like you may not be pulling the gun back into your shoulder. that will make the "kick" much worse. and it seems to be a natural reaction of people to do the exact opposite. once they feel the kick, they hold the gun less tightly to their shoulder...even sometimes not having it touch the shoulder. this only makes it worse. make sure you get the stock in the "pocket" of your shoulder and really pull it back into that pocket when shooting...and lean forward into it.

for the snubbie...

i have personally never figured out how anyone can shoot those things accurately beyond about 3 feet...though many people do.
    F*S=k

(Philadelphia County)

Quote Originally Posted by emsjeep View Post
    Rounds are goin up and down and to the left. I haven't handled the Glock since I sent it to the factory about 4 months ago but it was much more accurate and comfortable than the little .38. At about 2-5 yards I seem to be ok with the .38 but more than that and I'm hitting the edges of the paper, high and low.
    Sounds like ou have a fingering issue. You have both too much and too little finger on the trigger. Take a marker, and put a line down the middle of the first fatty portion of your trigger finger, and make sure that when you shoot, you keep the trigger on that line. That should solve horizontal movement.

Vertical movement is anticipation, when you think you are shooting hig, you fight it and push the round low, when you are anticipating the recoil, you jerk the weapon and fire high. Get yourself some more practice with it, and learn to squeeze the trigger.

When you are squeezing the trigger, say to yourself, squeezing, squeezing, squeezing, and then let the boom surprise you. When you get to the point that it is a consistent surprise, then your accuracy will improve slightly.

Not everyone shoots snubs well, but I am sure you will get there with practice.

JUSTITIA ET VIRTUS

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast