Pennsylvania Firearm Owners Association
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    (Lebanon County)

Thumbs up How to shoot a handgun accurately - Massad Ayoob

Found this article and figured I'd share with anyone else who is interested. Hope this is not a repost...searched for it but came up with nothing. If you have the time, give it a quick read.

http://www.backwoodshome.com/articles2/ayoob85.html

(Allegheny County)

Default Re: How to shoot a handgun accurately - Massad Ayoob

good article.

ayoob's "crush grip" (and thumb positioning) is, well, "controversial", though...
    F*S=k

(Lebanon County)

Quote Originally Posted by LittleRedToyota View Post
    good article.

ayoob's "crush grip" (and thumb positioning) is, well, "controversial", though...
    It certainly is controversial but since he can out-shoot me any day of the week I'll make an exception.

(Beaver County)

This taught me a lot that I didn't know so hopefully I can be more effective with the PT92 next time I go shooting. I didn't realize it until I read this but I don't squeeze the trigger, I jerk it back and that is probably why I suck so hard with the pistol.

(Lebanon County)

Quote Originally Posted by KDE870 View Post
    This taught me a lot that I didn't know so hopefully I can be more effective with the PT92 next time I go shooting. I didn't realize it until I read this but I don't squeeze the trigger, I jerk it back and that is probably why I suck so hard with the pistol.
    I'm guilty of that as well. There is a lot that I took away from reading this article and that's why I ended up sharing it. Now I just want to get to the range and try some of it!

(Allegheny County)

Quote Originally Posted by KDE870 View Post
    I didn't realize it until I read this but I don't squeeze the trigger, I jerk it back and that is probably why I suck so hard with the pistol.
    you shouldn't really "squeeze" it either. you should "press" it (straight back)...like a button. (and getting a "surprise break".)

"squeezing" the trigger leads to milking the grip.

and crush gripping the gun will likely cause you to exert lateral forces on the gun...which will make it harder the get the sights to always come back to the same spot after recoil.

if you really want to learn how to shoot a gun well, i highly suggest taking a course from someone who knows how to shoot well and how to teach you to shoot well.

as for good reading material on how to shoot fast and accurately, i suggest the book:

Practical Shooting: Beyond Fundamentals by Brian Enos.

http://www.amazon.com/Practical-Shoo.../dp/0962692506
    F*S=k

(Allegheny County)

I know that the current "en vogue" grip is the thumbs forward, flying thumbs, straight thumbs, whatever you want to call it grip (as taught and used by numerous really good shooters/instructors) but the locked down thumb still works for some. (Me included!)

When I teach, I show and demonstrate both, and have the students try both. Since the instructor (me) doesn't use that grip, I try to emphasize that most if not all of the top shooters in the country currently are using the thumbs forward style grip. I try to insure that they do not dismiss it just because I don’t use it; my co-instructor (wife) does use it though.

If one trains with enough good instructors, one will be shown/taught numerous techniques for doing the same thing. (I don't know how many different "tactical reloads" I have been taught in different classes - actually I do but that is a different story.)

Each of us should try the techniques and pick the one that works best for us. We should also remember the other technique, cuz one day you might be training someone else and that other technique might work better for them.
    Tomorrow's battle is won during today's practice.

(Allegheny County)

very good points otto.

my main reason for posting my responses was to say "just because mas ayoob says do X does not mean it is the best...or at least not the only...way to do it."

for some reason, there are a lot of people out there who view mas ayoob as the final word on all things gun related. i try to keep people from unknowingly joining the cult of ayoob...and open eyes to the fact that there are many equally or more qualified "experts" out there who disagree with him.

(btw, i am not at all saying ayoob has attempted to create a cult or anything...but some of the people who cite him seem to view him in much the same way cult members view their leaders.)
    F*S=k

(Luzerne County)

Quote Originally Posted by LittleRedToyota View Post
    very good points otto.

my main reason for posting my responses was to say "just because mas ayoob says do X does not mean it is the best...or at least not the only...way to do it."

for some reason, there are a lot of people out there who view mas ayoob as the final word on all things gun related. i try to keep people from unknowingly joining the cult of ayoob...and open eyes to the fact that there are many equally or more qualified "experts" out there who disagree with him.

(btw, i am not at all saying ayoob has attempted to create a cult or anything...but some of the people who cite him seem to view him in much the same way cult members view their leaders.)
    I guess you either like him or hate him. I am not much of a fan.
    troll Free. It's all in your mind.

(Allegheny County)

LittleRedToyota, I also agree with your statement about the "cult" like following of some instructors.

From my years of doing this stuff, one thing I quickly found, is that there are a lot of "groupies" (I like that word better than "cult" ) that want to parrot their chosen instructor/school/etc.... no matter what they are teaching or saying.

Not only Mr. Ayoob, but numerous other "big name" and not so big name, instructors have this phenomenon.

I have trained with him and others, as have a lot of other posters on this forum. I think that we all will agree that we become better and more rounded practitioners of the art by taking classes with different and varied instructors/schools.

The main thing is to keep on training and practicing.
    Tomorrow's battle is won during today's practice.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast