Pennsylvania Firearm Owners Association
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Default mec-gar magazines

i bought an 8 round magazine from mec-gar for my kimber 1911 .45 about a month ago, today while at the range something weird heppened with this magazine, it would lock the slide open still having two or three rounds in it, this problem repeated like 4x, I have never had this issue with the factory magazine.
    Anybody has any experiences with this after-market magazines?

(Lawrence County)

Default Re: mec-gar magazines

Pinch the front of the feed lips together just a hair. Problem should go away. Load a few rounds in teh Mec Gar and do the same with a Kimber mag. Likely the MG mag is letting the rounds sit up higher in front.

Lycanjustthefrontthrope

I taught Chuck Norris to bump-fire.

Quote Originally Posted by Lycanthrope View Post
    Pinch the front of the feed lips together just a hair. Problem should go away. Load a few rounds in teh Mec Gar and do the same with a Kimber mag. Likely the MG mag is letting the rounds sit up higher in front.

Lycanjustthefrontthrope
    never thought of that but it sounds like a good way of solving this problem. Thanks you body.

(Lawrence County)

Well if it's locking with 3 in the mag, it's not just the follower rubbing the slide release. Has to be rounds rubbing and that sounds like loose lips up front. If you go too far you can pinch the mag in a vise from front to back and the lips should open back up (you can do this with a round in the mag to watch the angle increase).

Lycannoproblemgoodluckthrope

(Centre County)

i have Mecgear for my Para. And i think they are like some of the worst mag for it. It works fine, but if there is no round in mag, it would not let me release the slide with slide release. Spring on follower is WAY too strong or something...
    Audemus jura nostra defendere

(Lawrence County)

Quote Originally Posted by Mity2 View Post
    i have Mecgear for my Para. And i think they are like some of the worst mag for it. It works fine, but if there is no round in mag, it would not let me release the slide with slide release. Spring on follower is WAY too strong or something...
    Take the spring out and compress it a few hundred times and it should be fine........or, clip half a coil if you're desparate. On a double stack mag that's large you can clip a full coil, but I forgot these were teeny single stack mags.

LycanIhavetobuildmyownmagsthrope
    Last edited by Lycanthrope; October 6th, 2007 at 08:39 AM.

(Washington County)

My AMT Hardballer 1911 came with a Mec-Gar mag from the factory. Never had a problem with it.

Vince
    www.bloomautomatic.com - Golf Ball Launchers for AR-15, SKS, FAL, and many others

www.bloomautomatic.com/lbsc - Long Branch Sportsman's Club, Long Branch, PA

(Centre County)

Quote Originally Posted by Lycanthrope View Post
    Take the spring out and compress it a few hundred times and it should be fine........or, clip half a coil if you're desparate. On a double stack mag that's large you can clip a full coil, but I forgot these were teeny single stack mags.

LycanIhavetobuildmyownmagsthrope

yeah its getting little easier as I use it. SO will see how it goes after few hundread more rounds..
    Audemus jura nostra defendere

(Perry County)

i have 2 14 round mec-gar mags for my cz p-01 and haven't had any issues. in fact, most people on the cz forums recommend the mec-gars for a higher capacity mag.

Mec-Gar is one of the world's leading manufacturers of firearm magazines. Many military weapons use them; and, while they don't advertise the fact, many pistols come with subcontracted (nameless) Mec-Gar magazines.

For instance the American service pistol, the Beretta M9, uses (or has used) tens of thousands of Mec-Gar magazines without any significant failures. Years ago all Browning Hi-Power pistols used to come with Mec-Gar's, too. I know for a fact that the Israeli military continues to use a great many Mec-Gar magazines; although the stamping is sometimes changed to read, 'I.M.I.'.

I ran Mec-Gar's in my Brownings and Colts for many years without the slightest problem. You're talking about one of the best and most reliable magazines in the world! If you've got a problem with one, contact the American sales office and let them know. I'm positive that, whatever the problem is, they'll straighten it right out for you.

Mec-Gar Magazines

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast