Pennsylvania Firearm Owners Association
    (Allegheny County)

Default Defensive Handgun I, II, and Advanced Handgun

Defensive Handgun I (8-10 Hours, 300 rounds recommended)

This course introduces the student to techniques applicable to defensive use of the handgun. Emphasis is put on shooting skill development for application in real-life circumstances. The fundamentals of Mindset, Gun-handling, and Marksmanship are covered in lecture while the practical aspects are taught on the range. Other course topics include Situational Awareness, equipment selection, safety, handling, loading, unloading, malfunction clearance, drawing and firing techniques, single handed firing, firing from cover, multiple targets, movement, and tactics. This course will qualify the student for a Concealed Carry License / Concealed Weapons Permit.

Cost: $150

Please note: The course equipment recommendations are listed at bottom. Please come properly equipped!

Defensive Handgun II (8-10 Hours*, 500-600 rounds recommended)

This course begins with an evaluation of the performance expected at the conclusion of Defensive Handgun I (or equivalent), and progresses quickly into an emphasis on applying more advanced techniques under more difficult real-life situations. The development of Reflexive / Subconscious ability is taught. Topics include increased speed or weapon deployment, increased difficulty of shooting problems and scenarios, disabled and/or injured shooter exercises, shooting from disadvantageous firing positions, shooting while on the move, shooting moving targets, drawing and firing from concealment, as well as many more advanced tactics.

Cost: $150

Please note: The course equipment recommendations are listed at bottom. Please come properly equipped!

Advanced Handgun* (24-30 hours, 1200-1500 Rounds Primary, 50 Backup*)

This course is structured for those who have successfully completed Defensive Handgun I and II or other school's equivalent. Performance of all Level I and most Level II skills on demand will be expected. A brief review and marksmanship / gunhandling skills 'tune-up' will be conducted initially. This will be followed by a Skills Inventory demonstration by each shooter. Performance will be elevated to an extremely high level by pushing the balance of accuracy versus speed shooting against stationary, multiple and moving targets. Other subjects featured include difficult targets, close range emergency reaction, reflexive malfunction clearance, use of space, movement techniques within confined areas, multiple indoor and outdoor tactical simulators, low light, vehicular techniques, backup weapon use, and weapon retention. This course is offered in 1, 2, and 3-day formats (facility-dependent). The 3-day version features 2 low-light sessions and multiple interactive exercises. A quality flashlight (Surefire-type or other high output), concealment, garment and an alternative / backup handgun are recommended (* but optional)

Cost: $200 per training day

*formerly called Handgun III

Defensive Handgun Equipment Recommendations:

Centerfire Handgun in a minimum defensive caliber (generally, 9mm or .38spl or larger, with some exceptions) FYI: PFT has a limited number of Glocks available for rent by prior arrangement, at $35 per class with magazines, mag pouches, and holster. Please call to discuss.

Ammunition as required per the course requested. 350 rounds minimum for Handgun I, and 450-500 rounds for Handgun II/III is the recommendation.

Spare magazines (2, at least)

Spare ammunition pouches, carrier, or magazine holster

Method of carrying and concealing the handgun (i.e.- suitable belt and belt holster, jacket, vest, etc. Shoulder holsters generally not acceptable- you "sweep" others when drawing the firearm)

Ear and eye protection

Clothing suitable for the weather ("There is no bad weather, just bad clothing!" -Pat Goodale)

Cap with a brim

Rugged shoes or boots

Lunch and drinks

Optional comfort items (rain gear, camera, sunscreen, knee/elbow pads, etc.)

Quality (SureFire-type) flashlight (if required by the course)

*Note: Defensive Handgun Courses may be taken individually on different dates, or as a two or three day course. Admission to Defensive Handgun II and III require successful completion of the appropriate previous level of instruction or an equivalent course taken elsewhere. Students must demonstrate the skills appropriate for the level of the course being taken.

(Allegheny County)

Default Re: Defensive Handgun I, II, and Advanced Handgun

Anybody else from the Pittsburgh area attending this?

Default Re: Defensive Handgun I, II, and Advanced Handgun

advance handgun looks awesome, wish you guys would come closer to philly