Pennsylvania Firearm Owners Association
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
    (Westmoreland County)

Default Knives: Fixed vs Folder vs Automatic

Lots of people carry pocketknives. Mostly folders. Some favor automatic knives (where not prohibited) due to their ability to be deployed single-handed.

Single-handed deployment is a significant issue if you had little to no warning that an assault or attack upon your person was imminent. If one does get tangled up in a H2H fight, are you certain that you’d be able to deploy your favorite folder?

What to do?

I submit there are two very good options that most haven’t considered. One is a small fixed blade such as the strider HT and another is the Commander by Emerson http://www.emersonknives.com/ with the Wave feature (or similar).

The smaller fixed blades aren’t all that much larger than a deployed typical folder.

With the Commander, the Wave feature catches on the corner of your pocket and deploys to the open position as you withdraw the knife. It is every bit as fast as an automatic model.

(Philadelphia County)

Default Re: Knives: Fixed vs Folder vs Automatic

Spyderco now has licensed waved endura's and delica's. I prefer them over the emersons and they cost significantly less.

Nothing is faster than fixed. check Hide Away Knife for a novel fixed blade.

Since we're on the subject, a pocket folder is least likely to get you in trouble with the law no matter what state you're in. Most states ban automatics and many ban "daggers" and have very loose definitions as to whether that includes single edge fixed blades. Even my tiny HAK could be construed as a punch dagger or metal knuckles. When it comes down to court for using a knife in self defense, Americans are very squeamish. For some reason it's more acceptable to shoot someone in the face than slice them up, all things being equal. Something called the "fisherman's friend" will generally lend itself to more leniency than the "uberdeathfangjihad2000" (Once again, all things being equal)
    Last edited by MarcS; October 5th, 2007 at 05:01 PM.

I usually carry a Spyderco clipped to my pocket. I use it for all sorts of things, like opening boxes, cleaning my nails, etc... I suppose like many here, I would attempt to use it as a last resort in a life or death situation if something happened to my firearm. The sad fact is most of us, me included, would have no idea how to properly handle an edged weapon. Have you ever watched someone who is trained to do so? Or even more scary, someone who is trained to defend the edged weapon?????? I would be screwed. I keep it in my pocket and use it for what it is, a nail cleaner, and a last chance. If I could find the time, scratch that, the effort and motivation to get properly trained with a knife I would.
    Jules

(Philadelphia County)

Quote Originally Posted by ar15jules View Post
    Have you ever watched someone who is trained to do so? Or even more scary, someone who is trained to defend the edged weapon??????
    yeah. One of my hobbies. You come across a good knife fighter, you're in trouble, no doubt

Yep,
    It is real scary what some people who are trained can do.
    Jules

(Lebanon County)

Check out the Speed Safe Assisted Open knives from Kershaw. I had one of the Shadows for a few years 'til I lost it at work. I bought a smaller flatter one, not the Onion, it's a little longer. Sharpest factory edge I've seen on a knife. Automatics (switchblades) are a no-no to carry under federal law. Someone watched too many James Dean movies, I guess. However Firefighters and Police may carry them, also if you are disabled and can only use one hand you can have one with blade less than 3". I have one myself, but do not carry. According to PSP, you can have them for collecting purposes only, kept under lock and key. If anyone has differing info on this I'd love to hear it. Particularly LEO's on this forum.

(Philadelphia County)

waved folders are quicker than automatics or speed assist knives. You get the knife open in 1 quick motion.

(Westmoreland County)

You guys know about making your own wave using knives with thumb holes? I cant Im not sure, but there were a few threads about it on bladeforums.com back in the day.
    You can cut the metal, or attach a wire tie to the thumb hole and it works just like the wave system.

I always carry two folders in case I need to defend myself, I can't CC yet. One is if I have time to deploy, the other is a flick of the wrist opener if I need one really fast. All was needed on it to make it a flick of the wrist knife was loosened up screw and secured in place with loc-tite or whatever you use to secure your screws
    "See, this side is well roasted; turn me on the other and eat." St. Lawrence

(Philadelphia County)

Quote Originally Posted by Wasz View Post
    You guys know about making your own wave using knives with thumb holes? I cant Im not sure, but there were a few threads about it on bladeforums.com back in the day.
    You can cut the metal, or attach a wire tie to the thumb hole and it works just like the wave system.
    Now that spyderco makes waved knives from the factory, you don't have to compromise the integrity of the knife.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast